juvilado

How do you dock?

How do you dock?    146 members have voted

1. 1. How do you dock?

• I use RCS thrusters
    • RCS Thrusters? Real Kerbal don't need it!
    • Depends of situation
    • Sorry, docking is just too difficult for me at this time

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, regex said:

I think they were more referring to the mod rather than actual IRL fuels but you are correct in that their understanding of Real Fuels is wrong. Real Fuels is a spin-off of Modular Fuel Tanks which means that each fuel tank has a volume that you can fill with whatever fuel is needed for whatever engine, and customize each tank as needed. Of course, you might need a Service Bay type tank to handle monopropellants like hydrazine for RCS which rules out it's use for Kerolox storage, but that's beside the point.

hm. well ok

I found myself doing almost the same with and without RCS. The small crafts can rotate almost instantly and I started to orient various designs up to the docking place correctly from a distance (usually 1.2 km to 0.2 km). When I rotate the docking place port as well to receive the docking craft, it is 80-99% precise alignment and speed already from experience of what works.

At a certain weight this becomes slow and difficult to do, so I plan out what needs to dock to what in my designs and hold back on placing RCS thrusters on everything.

RCS. I like to keep things somewhat realistic.

But it really depends on what I am doing and how much time I have. If I don't have much time, like maybe I only have time to do that one mission, I am more likely to speed things up by using the engines. But if I have plenty of time I will get within 200 meters and then RCS only.

I mostly use vernors instead of monoprop RCS, with vernors for x/y translation and backwards, and a very low throttled engine for forwards. I am a big fan of magic and use it whenever I can. Docking Port Alignment Indicator is one of my must-have mods. I dock quite a lot with heavy equipment, as my larger ships always refuel in Minmus orbit.

1 person likes this