You know what I think we need? I think we need parachutes with nodes on top like engines!

You know how engines have nodes on top for attaching to fuel tanks, and nodes on the bottom with shrouds for attaching decouplers? I think we need that for parachutes but the node on top has the shroud instead of the bottom!

Also, there's probably a mod for this, but it should be stock

Edited by Fireheart318

On 6/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, Fireheart318 said:

But why can't they ALSO be in a shroud for deployable landers and return capsules?

The current parachutes work by literally blowing the top off. So a simple shroud around it doesn't really work.
I would also prefer a new part.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

The current parachutes work by literally blowing the top off. So a simple shroud around it doesn't really work.
I would also prefer a new part.

I think his idea is to discard the shroud before deploying, and you wouldn't be able to deploy until you did decouple from it.  That's fine, but I would like stack chutes too so I don't have to discard half my craft landing on Duna, and I don't have to have radial chutes getting in the way.

39 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I think his idea is to discard the shroud before deploying, and you wouldn't be able to deploy until you did decouple from it.  That's fine, but I would like stack chutes too so I don't have to discard half my craft landing on Duna, and I don't have to have radial chutes getting in the way.

Ahh, ok. That could work.... but having to decouple to deploy is inconvenient. Stack chutes would be a lot nicer.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Ahh, ok. That could work.... but having to decouple to deploy is inconvenient. Stack chutes would be a lot nicer.

I agree, but there could be a cost/benefit balance situation.  If the stack chutes were more costly or have more mass for their container's structural rigidity, it could balance them.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I agree, but there could be a cost/benefit balance situation.  If the stack chutes were more costly or have more mass for their container's structural rigidity, it could balance them.

Are we also assuming they take the same volume? Like, on a 0.625 m stack chute, the cute is the same as the current 0.625m inline chute? I agree with the balancing, just asking

Edited by qzgy

Just now, qzgy said:

Are we also assuming they take the same volume? Like, on a 0.625 m stack chute, the cute is the same as the current 0.625m inline chute?

I would think there would be at least a little volume difference.  A stack chute would have to be designed to structurally hold whatever is above it.  A nose chute would have the external shroud which would be the structural part and that would add volume to the model we see now.  It's a pyramid fitting into a cylinder after all, a lot of left over space.

Just now, Alshain said:

I would think there would be at least a little volume difference.  A stack chute would have to be designed to structurally hold whatever is above it.  A nose chute would have the external shroud which would be the structural part and that would add volume to the model we see now.  It's a pyramid fitting into a cylinder after all, a lot of left over space.

So if we assume that there is a bit of a volume difference, would that also affect the parachute size? I would think so since the extra volume should be used as effectively as possible.

Just now, qzgy said:

So if we assume that there is a bit of a volume difference, would that also affect the parachute size? I would think so since the extra volume should be used as effectively as possible.

Well, at least some of the extra volume is in structure, the brackets needed to hold the upper part of the module, but yes I think there would be more space than even that needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.