A little SU-27 semi-replica i made.

So after not playing KSP, I came back, and somehow got the motivation to actually make something. I've always liked the sleek looks of the SU-27 and its maneuverability. Now, I call what I've created a "semi-replica" because I didn't go over measurements and scale them, and the wings are a bit off, the top slope thing is a bit long, the landing gear configuration is wrong, but I think it looks close enough to warrant having the same name. It, just like its real life counterpart, is highly maneuverable with thrust vectoring engines ( I may or may not have abused cubic octagonal struts to put two on each side). However, sharp turns under 90 m/s can stall the plane. Stall recovery is simply, simply don't touch the controls, turn on the afterburners, and you'll be good. As the root part is actually a probe core as the cockpit is slanted, crew will not be automatically assigned. To have a cockpit view of the front, your pilot will need to be placed in the second cockpit appearing on the list. If you have two kerbals in the place, click IVA on the second kerbal from the left in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Action group 1 for the afterburners.

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldduz6ydu02h9l8/Su-27.craft?dl=0

Edited by TronX33

Also, any constructive criticism is welcome.

There are a few issues that I see myself, but I'm unsure as to how to solve them. I would appreciate any insight that more experienced craft builders could offer.

First is the landing gear. I would prefer to have had the large landing gear for the rear, but that causes the plane to not take off, even when the center of lift and mass seemed to be in the correct location. Offsetting it into engine didn't seem to be enough, sometimes it showed through the top of the wing.

Secondly, even though I rebuilt the front portion of the plane with structural fuselages instead of empty fuel tanks, its still so heavy that I needed to use cubic octagonal struts to clip another engine into the two existing ones.

Another major problem is my method of blending the wing into the cockpit tail thing. As you can see from this picture of the SU-27, the wing and the fuselage blends together smoothly: Su27sk_b.jpg

My implementation to meel feels sloppy, but the lengths involved were too small for two wing sections to be placed.

And of course the wing shape is off and the cockpit hump is too long, but those I can just tinker with and solve. The previous issues are ones that I'm not sure how to fix.

Ok, I took your craft out for a spin. Comments:

First - You really don't need that  massive landing gear in front. I also moved the back landing gear forward, to help takeoff.

I also flew it around a bit with F12 on. The front "blending panel" seems to cause your plane to pitch down. That doesn't help.

As a suggestion - don't use the giant swept wing panel, try angling the little wing panels. Much more control and less width. Of course, then its angled at the tip, but you can try and put another panel there to help.

Also, blending isn't really feasible on this scale in KSP. Best I could do is offset the cockpit slightly into the wings, but nothing really else. You could try radiator panels, but then it bulges out... So I can't really help you there.

It does fly really nicely with SAS though. Kudos to that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.