Krog's Rally Run Challenge!

39 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Do I have to use wheels?

Yes, rover based, so wheels are necessary but the powerplant isn't limited.

1 hour ago, Jollyfellow said:

How do you guys keep from spinning out? My car has 6 junos pointing up and it still spins out

For me, I kept sliding off into the SPH or Mission control too, so I countered this drift with heavy roll control and well timed booster thrusts. But I still spun out once and rolled twice xD

1 hour ago, Jollyfellow said:

How do you guys keep from spinning out? My car has 6 junos pointing up and it still spins out

Switch friction control from automatic to override.

If you want to race, automatic is the worst of all possible options.

My cars don't use moving control surfaces, reaction wheels, SAS, upwards pointing Juno's etc.

Edited by Azimech

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Ok, so can cars fly? I've accidentally made a flying car....

LOL, well it is KSP... I'd say keep her on the ground 50 percent of the time and I'd allow a "flying car"

On a separate note, EXPERT CHALLENGE BONUS. I'd love to see some sort of plane or VTOL do this course while maintaining very low flight.

10 minutes ago, Krog34 said:

LOL, well it is KSP... I'd say keep her on the ground 50 percent of the time and I'd allow a "flying car"

Ok, sounds good.

42 minutes ago, Krog34 said:

On a separate note, EXPERT CHALLENGE BONUS. I'd love to see some sort of plane or VTOL do this course while maintaining very low flight.

K, I'll have it done in 2 hours

1 hour ago, Krog34 said:

56 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

K, I'll have it done in 2 hours

Done. Just need to upload it. Time: 3:09

Edited by Jollyfellow

2 hours ago, Jollyfellow said:

VOLUME WARNING! My mic was plugged in while recording and had a ton of feedback

DUDE, I was sort of joking about a VTOL run but that was really cool! The way it moved reminded me of the hover craft vehicles from Diddy Kong Racing N64.

I've added a new Challenge Class and you're in first.

P.S. If you pretend the mic feedback is a REALLY loud hover craft engine it doesn't seem so off :P, but seriously thanks for the warning. I think you might be able to edit the sound on Youtube's video editor? You might give that a try, and there's a mute feature as well iirc.

Edited by Krog34

30 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

...Debating whether or not to enter a hovercraft...

And debating whether a hovercraft would count as expert or normal...

Hmm, it would appear to me I've left a little too much leeway with the specifics.

I think the easiest fix (and final fix) would be to add a "VTOL/Hovercraft Leaderboard" (same rules but no wheels) and Change expert mode to, "Lift off from start, never touch anything until finish"? 

If that sounds good for you guys I will edit the Challenge guidelines tomorrow to reflect this.

9 hours ago, Krog34 said:

Hmm, it would appear to me I've left a little too much leeway with the specifics.

I think the easiest fix (and final fix) would be to add a "VTOL/Hovercraft Leaderboard" (same rules but no wheels) and Change expert mode to, "Lift off from start, never touch anything until finish"? 

If that sounds good for you guys I will edit the Challenge guidelines tomorrow to reflect this.

I agree to this change, but maybe without the "expert mode". The expert mode is almost impossible

To the spinning Problem:

the faster you go the less spinning will happen. The sweet spot for my car is above 30ms. If i go slower my car will tend to spin. My average speed through the science complex is 35ms. At this speed my car is very stable in corners and no spinning occurs :) 

Edited by N_F_X

16 hours ago, Krog34 said:

The whole "never touch anything" kind of goes without saying. I could put some bloopers in to show you what I mean. The hovercraft kind of... explodes, or crashes if it even touches anything. But I wouldn't say "no touching anything" because if you can pull off bumping something in a VTOL or plane, you kind of deserve to get away with it.

(Edit)
I'll make an unedited version (just over 20 minutes long), then I'll make a cut-down version with just the bloopers (nothing except crashes and 30 seconds leading up to each crash)

Edited by Jollyfellow

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Benny hill theme?

IDK, just throwing it out there.

That might be good. There's one that's similar to the one of the KSP themes that I can't remember or find. It'd fit perfectly. I'll likely need multiple songs, anyways, so thank you for this one!

Just now, Jollyfellow said:

That might be good. There's one that's similar to the one of the KSP themes that I can't remember or find. It'd fit perfectly. I'll likely need multiple songs, anyways, so thank you for this one!

No problem!

Meanwhile, I made a map with sectors. If you'd like the save, I can upload it. (It has flags so you can track your time through sections of the track)

(In VTOL) Fastest sector 1 (red): 0:29
Sector 2 (blue): 0:45
Sector 3 (green): 0:33
Sector 4 (orange): 0:42

Edited by Jollyfellow

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.