Other creatures than kerbals

I think Kerbin look very habitable, but isn't actually habitable, you can hear bird song or crickets if go to spacecenter though, but there isn't much life anywhere, in early space missions animals is used to test if space travel is safe, and in later missions, they are sent up for science, and one of the main goal for developing rocket technology, space exploration, landing on other planets etc. is to find alien life. So my suggestion is: some creatures live in the ocean of Kerbin (and maybe Laythe), some on land and in the air. They can eat each other, and maybe even if kerbals disembarking on Kerbin isn't careful, they can be eaten. Planes and launching spacecrafts can be destroyed or damaged by aerial creatures (depending on the speed). Like animals on Earth, they are not able to eat spacecrafts or spacecraft parts directly.

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it work on the scale your're thinking. But a little 0.65m part with some live kmice or krats as a science experiment would be very cool, could possibly help you unlock higher tier pods.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I'd feel more bad for accidentally flying into innocent flying birbs than for killing Kerbals in spectacular explosions.

The "flying birbs" are no more innocent (or existent) that then the Kerbals.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:17 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

(despite mentioning cows, dogs, antelope, tigers, and horses in my stories).

I've also added Arctic Bolfs, Munkrickets and Platypus's... Platipi... platypeople... lol.... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how you'd implement something like this, but I wouldn't mind some sort of wildlife, especially underwater!  Imagine how cool it would be to find something swimming around the oceans of Laythe... or even weirder... Eve! 

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I've also added Arctic Bolfs, Munkrickets and Platypus's... Platipi... platypeople... lol.... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how you'd implement something like this, but I wouldn't mind some sort of wildlife, especially underwater!  Imagine how cool it would be to find something swimming around the oceans of Laythe... or even weirder... Eve! 

Or Kerbin... :D

On 20/06/2017 at 0:52 AM, Azimech said:

I'd love some life on this otherwise barren planet.

Every planetary body in KSP is incredibly boring.

The only time I really bother landing is to get science in career. Even then I stay at normal time for 20 seconds then warp to launch to meet the orbiter or I stay 20 seconds then ascend to about 10km and switch craft after science transmission...

On 20.06.2017 at 2:59 AM, Just Jim said:

There should be a Kraken that lives in the deepest trenches of Kerbin's ocean.

Using kOS scripts, one could program animals' behaviour, making wheeled wild beasts attacking each other or rovers in proximity.

(A biped chassis could make them look less wheeled. Two bipeds = 1 quadruped.)

Extraplanetary Launchpads could herd them.

But of course, this is not a scattered creature feature.

Edited by kerbiloid

I wouldn't mind "ambient life" similar to the way Arma 2 and 3 implement ambient life, but I don't want to deal with predators on EVA, nor collision hazards.

If the trees and boulders/ terrain scatters aren't a problem, a little green rabbit or bird shouldn't be either.

But I wouldn't want to see such ambient life anywhere but kerbin and *maybe* extremely rare sea creatures deep in laythe's ocean as an easter egg of sorts... and also of course on modded planets.

I wouldn't mind adding procedural worm-like things to my Rald planet

Edited by KerikBalm

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:41 AM, BeeGeenie said:

I imagine [scattered critters would] be non-interactive, just like regular terrain scatter.

This sounds like the easiest to implement without breaking much.

But would animating terrain scatter be a strain on the graphics or on the CPU? Or since it doesn't have anything to do with the physics, that animation could be in its own thread maybe.

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi chaps, I've tested this in KSP already and will be handing over the objects for GerSpace to include in KK.  No issues detected even with multiple units,  clock stays green

Hide contents

That's awesome! Exactly what i was thinking about.

2 hours ago, Casualnaut said:

Well I mean, it would be awesome to send up a dog with a kerbal. Even take the dog for a spacewalk!

Image result for dogs in space

That would be cool. I would love to send some Belka and Strelka's to space!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.