KSP Challenge: Crosswise the Sea!

Darth Badie

"Crosswise the Sea! with DMP", 1st challenge.

All members' airplane are made of stocks.

Using:

• Dark Multi Player
  • Pilot Assistant (for formation flight)

Xnx8sNY.png

x9mRdPg.png

Great thanks all members and this exciting challenge event.

13 hours ago, scottadges said:

So to clarify, only the person who gets the most likes will get a badge? Just askin'!

No..... everyone that completes the challenge gets one. It's just sometimes @Badie will make a special badge for most original, or most likes, or something like that.

VjAhSF0.jpg

With profits low on Val's ferry buisness, she conducted a survey to see why kerbals weren't using her service. The results were conclusive:

"It's the travel time" said one anonymous kerbal, "why would I take my family on a 3 hour long boat trip, when I could strap 4 seats on a flea booster, and get there in 50 minutes?"

Armed with this information, Val called in a favour with Jeb at his junkyard, and the next day a convoy of trucks arrived with some parts he'd scavanged of a Koeing 747. A week of welding later, Val came out with this beauty. With a flight sailing time of 45 minutes, it beats Flea booster trips in travel time, and guarentees saftey with its four anti-air missiles Val installed for undisclosed reasons.

Mission Report:

0cjX5Ip.jpg

Sitting on the runway, waiting for clearance to launch.

6D5AHQ6.jpg

Expertly Valentina lifts the Ferryliner of the runway. Believe it or not, it handles better than most of my larger planes.

b5dYEl5.jpg

The pilot has an excellent view, hindered only slightly by a battery of guided anti-air missiles.

vIGFQmS.jpg

About a quarter of the way to our destination.

VjAhSF0.jpg

It flies sails gracefully through the sky water, providing excellent material for brochures.

41qvbHA.jpg

Land Ho!

wl02Mnl.jpg

Coming in on landing approach.

Cv09ZUT.jpg

Touchdown! It rolls to a stop, 5 minutes faster than a flea booster.

This was a really fun challenge! :)

So, here's my contribution to this challenge.

I've not taken part in challenges before now, not because of a lack of interest or desire, but because I've got 2 kids, a disabled wife and a PhD to manage. My time is limited, but this seemed doable.

I've built a number of aircraft before, some I'm very proud of and some I'm frankly appalled by, but they did the job for the contract that needed them. For this I decided to try and build the most basic aircraft I could, so I give you...

The No-frills Jet

Hangar_zpsrhk9ureg.png
My plan was to use the jet engine just like a Mun lander's rocket engine, but as a jet VTOL without any gimbal control, with all attitude purely through the capsule reaction wheels. Oh, and no landing gear.

My plan is to land upright on the island airfield using the engine as the landing base. If I'd realised at this point how horrible it would be to fly I'd have just made a biplane instead. As you may have realised from the design, there are a number of issues with this approach. if I start descending, I lose a significant amount of air-intake and my thrust dips. My ability to control heigh and attitude is through one engine, which delays in altering its thrust output. Finally, my 'aircraft' has no lift surfaces or fins, which means above a certain speed, it flips round due to the low centre-of-mass, which means I start decelerating and simultaneously lose thrust from reduced air intake. Fun stuff.

Liftoff_zpsawivtfkp.png
Lift-off occurs relatively straight forwardly, I point myself the right way and try to find a thrust equilibrium so i don't climb too high...

altitude_zpso6fqgwnx.png
...which apparently I fail to achieve, and end up putting myself into a flip-over situation.

hairy_zpsarqhcchq.png
I recover, but it's a case of held breath for a short time.

Aiming_zpsposkbhoa.png
As I approach the target I attempt to slow down and follow my deceleration marker so that I come in vertically to land.

landing%201_zpsazttgdad.png
The challenge however comes in that I need to slow to <10m/s, with a slow-response throttle, on a vessel that is constantly losing mass through fuel consumption. Finding the sweet spot to descend and yet not accelerate uncontrolably to the ground is a tricky game.

landing%20last_zpshunyljs9.png
At about 3m I cut the power and hoped for the best...

Landed_zpsxihcjrtq.png
toppled_zps6c9etgb0.png
And amazingly it comes off fine. Not the flattest landing spot, and sadly after switching SAS off it topples gently over. Still, Jeb's fairly happy, so who am I to complain.

For my first challenge, I decided to make a stock fighter-style jet, flying from KSC (after bombing it a bit), down to the south pole. I hadn't been down there before so I figured it would be a good opportunity to sight-see. After getting there, I saw how much fuel I had left, so I decided to go to the north pole. Total time from KSC to south to north took 57 minutes. 

It is my flying buggy. We can fly to the next island.

This is a work that uses the KSP's property of flying anything with wing and engine.

DDPhSgwVwAEjPSR.jpg

DDPhSiNUwAImbEK.jpg

DDPhSfcV0AA4DNi.jpg

DDPhSWOVoAEfrjD.jpg

If you want to go farther and faster, "range extender" enables it.

Although it is often mistaken, the main unit is the buggy, the range extender is a disposable sub unit.

DDPi2D2VYAAauas.jpg

DDPi2D9UMAAwsoE.jpg

DDPi13JUIAE9Kdy.jpg

DDPi2W2UMAABFyY.jpg

Airborne buggy...

DDPj5DZVwAAlcVh.jpg

DDPj4nPUwAA-92A.jpg

DDPj427UQAA61cY.jpg

DDPj547VYAAOq89.jpg

Other pics.

DDPniVoUwAARJ4Y.jpg

DDPnhWSUIAEs3Zn.jpg

DDPnhc4UMAAdAnL.jpg

Edited by Ossan3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPLETE ENTRY:

On 24.6.2017 at 2:31 AM, qzgy said:
On 24.6.2017 at 5:14 AM, The solid fuel chemist said:

ahh, i use that island as a landing site for aborted shuttles.

Went from KSC to the island in the bay that the KSC peninsula helps form.

I use that island to land my boosters on, Falcon 9 style. Hence the name Booster Island.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.