KSP Challenge: Crosswise the Sea!

Darth Badie

Grabbed an old prototype racer from the HD. Usually I race with modified drag values or FAR but this time I've done it the slow way.

This is Gee Bee test 2, stock turboprop. It uses a modified Chakora II engine with 60 blowers and 8 turbine blades. It has a variable prop pitch and a multi-stage turbine using eXpanding Blade Tech with high power and economy modes. This all uses 4 of my own inventions: the double sided open bearing, the variable prop pitch, XBT and last but not least, the turboprop itself.

APHRaKx.png

The Chakora II engine is what made it possible to circumnavigate Kerbin and the only stock turboprop to ever do so. They're pretty sturdy unless overreved, then they starts spitting out turbine blades and thrust bearing elements. There's a limitation in KSP or Unity, angular speeds cannot be higher than 50 rad/s or physics go gaga.

Exactly what happened with my first attempt, I wanted to fly over the mountains and land in the desert on the next continent. I set the autopilot to maintain a fixed speed and set the propeller to cruise. Then I saw I wouldn't make it over a mountain and set the autopilot to climb. It increased engine power to maintain speed and before I knew it I saw stuff flying out the side of the engine. Often it can continue to run even if damaged but this time it "ate" the thrust bearing in seconds, resulting in complete loss of power.

du4VPAv.png

Okay ... next attempt. I'll land at the island runway then.

U8owuVI.png

Engine running fine at 49.5 rad/s (472 RPM).

qqH5S1Y.png

Almost there, setting prop pitch to coarse for some aerobraking.

DFomNsC.png

Very easy to fly, very easy to land.

g1BRvqZ.png

n8VioFb.png

I took off again for a speed test with adjusted aero. Not bad but i think I need another propeller blade.

R6xjkz3.png

That's all folks! If you want to know more about stock turboprops, see the link in my signature.

Edited by Azimech

59 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Um... no. The Goliath was added in 1.0.5 and remains in stock to this day.

Why I don't have it if it is still stock? Never had it in 1.1.3, don't have it in 1.3.0. The entire stock tech tree is discovered. No trace of it.

Edited by ave369

36 minutes ago, ave369 said:

Why I don't have it if it is still stock? Never had it in 1.1.3, don't have it in 1.3.0. The entire stock tech tree is discovered. No trace of it.

Not sure. Maybe you accidentally deleted the Goliath's file in GameData/Squad?

Anyway, back on topic, here's the plane I'll use for the challenge: FsCQibw.jpg

704 passengers and 4 crew, powered by 24 Panthers.

Edited by TheEpicSquared
Corrected numbers

I never delete anything in the Squad directory. In fact, I never touch it at all. But I see this engine today the first time in my life. No, I could not "accidentally overlook" it, I have an interest in big planes, airships and stuff like that, and if it was in my game, I would definitely use it, rather than tweakscale normal engines to bigger sizes. That's why I thought it must be some kind of mod.

Okay, let's back on topic. The Tiny Tot is on Laythe, and now I have to actually, well, cross the sea.

1bfb9fb637a33e947cbace3b9ce22b84.png

Let's start!

a036d449bcd85a0c8c2e9cc76c1e6296.png

Oops, it appears that I forgot to pull the landing gear in.

d9067fd282670f0d1febcc9d56bc98bc.png

View from the cockpit. Sea, sky, clouds... Boring. Where is land?

1fd8a812669c6b7faefa82ccfd1c855e.png

Here it is! But this round island is no way as level as the KerbNet advertised it to be. Guess I'll have to fly around and look for a landing spot...

be602e91fe16cbff4b6736831ca14a9a.png

It is hard to find...

4c31c9967dca5be25f513ad552e2bbc3.png

bd7f41f0e579eda715cfc9050236ce8c.png

3994aa805171c271b1ea837b1a5e3301.png

This landing here is challenging as well, here I have to adjust my roll before the wheels touch the ground...

3300a4ec441900ede3bd2b838e4b9ea4.png

5bef879292d4655849c9c5a5fdfee650.png

Ta-da!

23 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Not sure. Maybe you accidentally deleted the Goliath's file in GameData/Squad?

Anyway, back on topic, here's the plane I'll use for the challenge: FsCQibw.jpg

704 passengers and 4 crew, powered by 23 Panthers.

That's big.

2 hours ago, ave369 said:

Well... Let's begin the Long Story of the Laythe Sea Flight, Part One: Reaching the Beginning of the Way

That was fun... and also my first chance to see the game in Russian!

Very cool!  :)

Edited by Just Jim

So here's my entry - The Flying Goliath. Just take the Goliath engine, strap on a couple of wings, small fuel tanks, a seat for the pilot and it's a go. 

It actually flies pretty well for what it is. :wink: It does require quite a bit of trim to fly straight but then again, it doesn't really need SAS at all. When at altitude all pitch control was done with trim.

2urPo2n.jpg

Spoiler

bSEzIF0.jpg

WsXZtV4.jpg

Quickly climbing to altitude. She doesn't look too happy about it :) 

SCddWzt.jpg

The large peninsula when flying east from KSC. There's still more than half of the fuel left so why not continue further.

smcgJ4q.jpg

The next landmass across the sea. Should touch down somewhere here.

HgkiTkr.jpg

Lined up for landing on a nice-looking beach.

PnkNffD.jpg

Almost there...

bIUtqo4.jpg

DONE!

94BMhjP.jpg

That's where the craft ended up.

Z7KVHh0.jpg

4 minutes ago, klesh said:

Its Fido 3, I remember you from last summer!

I've still got the dust from the Grand Wazoo if you want it ... come to think of it, I stored it in my python boot so you might wanna rinse it off. I know ... filthy habit.

Mods, I'll stop now. Apparently this is what happens when Zappa fans find each other on a forum.

Edited by Azimech

26 minutes ago, Azimech said:

That looks just like a Telefunken U47 ... with läther.

18 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Apparently this is what happens when Zappa fans find each other on a forum.

Totally off-topic... but I'm a huge Zappa fan!!!  :sticktongue:

10 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Ooo, goody... a chance to play with my toys :D

Here's Koncorde. If she goes up and stays there, she can do a whole lap of Kerbin in ~90 minutes:

Back on-topic...

Sweet!!!  :cool:

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OMG... That is outstanding! And the soundtrack is perfect!!!

Thanks! :D I wanted to do it in IVA but unfortunately there is no such thing as rear view mirrors in KSP so it would be more of blind luck as to whether I ran into a mountain or not. :(

Edit: does anyone know if there's a way to look out those two tiny windows in the top back of the Mk3 crew cabin?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Thanks! :D I wanted to do it in IVA but unfortunately there is no such thing as rear view mirrors in KSP so it would be more of blind luck as to whether I ran into a mountain or not. :(

Maybe a rear mounted camera, if you're using RPM... but still, that was too funny!  And beautifully creative! :)

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

That was fun... and also my first chance to see the game in Russian!

Very cool!  :)

It was a pain. The Tiny Tot is so tiny and can be easily transported by all kinds of motherships, but the downside is that it has not enough wingage to prevent stalling at low speeds and not enough elevonage to have much pitch authority, Landing it on uneven surfaces is FRUSTRATING. During its maiden flight, I somehow managed to land it on an island on Laythe on the first try. No such luck this time.

Edited by ave369

Success! Sort of. I totally cheated. Went with a "jump jet" style. Put a couple of Darts on the bottom of the plane for VTOL. Worked pretty well.

screenshot434.png

Beginning forward thrust.

screenshot435.png

I don't really use planes, so I was takin' in the scenery. Looked pretty cool.

screenshot437.png

Movin' along.

screenshot438.png

Top speed reached.

screenshot439.png

Coasting in for a "landing". If you're wondering about the little engines up front, those are actually Juno's turned around backward to act as braking engines during the landing. Told ya I cheated.

screenshot431.png

And here it is sitting proudly on the ground. Full disclosure: it took about a dozen tries. The landing was easy, but I kept destroying the Dart's when I hit the ground. You can see they just barely clear the surface. Knew it would be a problem, and I was right.

screenshot432.png

Anyway, I crossed the sea and I landed, so I guess I'll count it.

screenshot433.png

And the plane's in one piece. That's a "World's First" for me. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

I really don't understand what sea I must cross (looks like it mean "any"), so just build Mach 3.4 plane that can cross "all" seas+oceans (can do circumnavigation 2 times, but fly in video 1 time... sorry not have any time IRL) 

17 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Then the 'challenge' should be to do it as original and creative as possible. But it isn't. It's just 'fly a plane across the sea.'

It doesn't even rate as high as 'meh'.
It's a bout the same as an adult doing their shoe laces. Or pulling up your pants and not forgetting to wipe after taking a dump.

Personally, I agree but I'm not about to start ranting about it.

Also : (Xeriaq is my YouTube channel. I make KSP and Minecraft videos)

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.