Multiple Game Folders

Tebok

How many people have more than one KSP Folder?  I use three.

One has Hyper Edit installed

The second doesn't (Because the urge to use it is too much when I am playing career mode)

And the Third is just a test bed for installing mods and editing.

I'm not sure I can find them all.  They are mostly backups, and probably all since 1.0 (I'd love to play the game "I bought", but unless Steam allows a ton more reversions, don't see how that's possible).  At some point I'll have to scoop all of them up and zip them into a file (at which point they will continue to multiply).

Not that I'm all that worried about Take Two, but it would be a really good idea to have a directory with all the working mods you need (especially in the case of RO/RSS).

One. Although if you want to get picky about it, using separate machines to play the game, do mod hacking and CI means I maintain three installs on three computers.

I don't see any value I keeping old releases around, and keep my save files, GameData and CKAN metadata under git version control for backup and easy switching on the few occasions I want to vary my mod set. 

I have like 10-12, but they aren't forks of the same version, they are versions dating back to .18.  But my dumb ass, instead of labeling them KSP_1_8 or KSP_122, labeled them KSP1, KSP2, etc.   So now, I have no idea what folder plays what game. 

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I have like 10-12, but they aren't forks of the same version, they are versions dating back to .18.  But my dumb ass, instead of labeling them KSP_1_8 or KSP_122, labeled them KSP1, KSP2, etc.   So now, I have no idea what folder plays what game. 

buildid.txt

Label accordingly.

Do I get to count the zipped up versions I have dating back to 0.15, and the 0.13.3 demo?

I've got nine right now.  Counting the zipped older ones gives many more.

Edit:
Including the zipped installs, 39 total.

Edited by razark

Just now, razark said:

Do I get to count the zipped up versions I have dating back to 0.15, and the 0.13.3 demo?

I've got nine right now.  Counting the zipped older ones gives many more.

I didn't start thinking about keeping backups until 1.0... But originally I played .18 :D

16 hours ago, Tebok said:

One has Hyper Edit installed

Isn't having a whole separate install just for Hyperedit going a bit overboard? :confused:

It's like you would buy 2 cars - one for driving with headlights on, the other without.

19 hours ago, stibbons said:

save files, GameData and CKAN metadata under git version control for backup and easy switching

A GENIUS IS YOU. So, you control mod configurations this way? And if Steam mucks up your game, you simply roll back?

MAN.

Can't give enough likes for this tip.

edit: hey, give him a like, not me! :D 

Edited by monstah

2 hours ago, monstah said:

A GENIUS IS YOU. So, you control mod configurations this way? And if Steam mucks up your game, you simply roll back?

MAN.

Hah, I didn't do anything special. :P And I don't keep my entire KSP folder in version control, mostly because Steam has literally never messed up my install and I really am serious about moving to a new version as soon as it's out and never looking back.

But if you do check your full install in to git, @pjf talked about using git worktrees to maintain multiple separate installs if that's your bag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.