how to mount multiple engines?

Super simple question I hope.  For example, how do you mount multiple (smaller) engines to the bottom of a Kerbodyne 14400?  There is just one attachment node on the bottom.  Don't worry about efficiency and practicality.  That is a different discussion.

BZ-52 (I think) Radial attachement point, Advanced Nosecone, a cubic strut...

Basically any part that you can attach radially and that has a node at one end. Then move your engines where you want using the offset/rotate tools.

leaving aside the Thud and the adaptors which are trivial cases.
basic methods:
- radially mount fuel tanks or similar and place the engines on those
- place the cubic octostrut on the bottom and mount the engines to that. I think the MGS will allow the same as well.

not basic method:
- hack up the part file, or create a MM patch, to add multiple mounting points.

If the engines are surface-attachable, as many are, you can mount them onto the tank directly.

If the engines are not surface-attachable, they will simply fly through the tank when you hold the mouse close to it. In that case you will need a proxy part that has an open node. The Radial Attachment Point in the tab Structural is a common choice.

I know Procedural Parts has a procedural thrust plate with multiple bottom nodes, and SpaceY has a good series of adapters.

Also, I think Ven's Stock Part Revamp eliminates a lot of the tankbutt that makes clustering needlessly difficult.

In terms of stock: yeah, mostly just abuse the Cubic Octagonal Strut for all its worth.

An alternative is to download Editor extensions redux (EEX is actually a great mod, I'd reccomend it) and press T to toggle surface attachment. No abuse of cubic octagonal struts or whatever. HOWEVER, if you are in stock, just do as above.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:48 AM, SchweinAero said:

If the engines are surface-attachable, as many are, you can mount them onto the tank directly.

If the engines are not surface-attachable, they will simply fly through the tank when you hold the mouse close to it. In that case you will need a proxy part that has an open node. The Radial Attachment Point in the tab Structural is a common choice.

Or, if you want, you can make them surface-attachable with a trivial snippet of ModuleManager config.  Something like this ought to do the trick:

// Make all engines surface-attachable.
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines|ModuleEnginesFX]]
    @attachRules ^= :^1,0:1,1:
}

...just create a file with a name ending in ".cfg", anywhere in your GameData folder (or one of its subfolders), and paste the above into it.  I think that ought to make all engines surface-attachable.  Haven't actually tested it myself, but I suspect that'll do the trick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.