Missions to the Ice Giants now very Likely!

Adstri

What planet would you most likely send a probe to?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What planet would you like to see studied more?

Augustus linked a technical document in this thread:

Overall, I am hugely in favor of the idea; it's past time we studied the ice giants in detail, and I think a big, flagship probe mission to planets we've never orbited before is the perfect way for NASA to point out that their mission continues to be relevant and that NASA still has purpose, even when certain Senators decide that they'd like NASA to be a jobs program for them.

While I don't have RSS installed... I might try a similar mission profile in my own career; drop a probe at Nero using a parent orbiter as relay.

10 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

-snip-

Overall, I am hugely in favor of the idea; it's past time we studied the ice giants in detail, and I think a big, flagship probe mission to planets we've never orbited before is the perfect way for NASA to point out that their mission continues to be relevant and that NASA still has purpose, even when certain Senators decide that they'd like NASA to be a jobs program for them.

-snip-

The only thing I'm worried is time and resources... As far as I can tell we are running low on plutonium-238

Edited by Adstriduum

4 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

The only thing I'm worried is time and resources... As far as I can tell we are running low on plutonium-238

They've actually started making more, though it will take a few years to ramp up to useful amounts.

Still, by the time this mission needs to be integrated, it should be more than ready.

Are they going to name it Thor?  Considering the amount of human sacrifice to Odin, I'd strongly recommend Thor if going for a Norse name.  And it isn't that you can only use "classical" god names, I'm pretty sure gemini launched on Thor boosters.

17 hours ago, wumpus said:

Are they going to name it Thor?  Considering the amount of human sacrifice to Odin, I'd strongly recommend Thor if going for a Norse name.  And it isn't that you can only use "classical" god names, I'm pretty sure gemini launched on Thor boosters.

Gemini launched on a titan rocket

6 hours ago, FokkerAce said:

Gemini launched on a titan rocket

I must have been thinking of  the Agena target vehicle, but that might have been launched by an Atlas (Agenas launched using both Thor and Atlas).  But certainly NASA has used the Thor name.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:17 AM, wumpus said:

Naa. If they drop it into the atmosphere at the end of its run, the ice giant wins.

I would name the mission to Uranus Herschel, and the one to Neptune Le Verrier with an atmospheric probe named Adams (I'm ripping off of Cassini-Huygens's mission name here.)

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They would name it Thorium and launch to Uranium and Neptunium.

Plutonium is not in agenda now, as Horizonius Novus broke the rhyme.

I see what you did there. :) 

17 hours ago, wumpus said:

I must have been thinking of  the Agena target vehicle, but that might have been launched by an Atlas (Agenas launched using both Thor and Atlas).  But certainly NASA has used the Thor name.

Yes they have, look up a Thor-able, its what launched explorer 6, and pioneer 1

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

As this probe is something sent by Earth (or Gaia) to Uranus (or Ouranos), let's honour the classical mythology and name it "Sickle".

Or Caelus :).

Edited by Adstriduum

On 6/23/2017 at 6:16 AM, tater said:

I'm pretty sure I'd not name a probe to Uranus after a person... the copy writes itself. Herschel visits/probes/enters Uranus?

"George III" would be even more daft.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:02 AM, tater said:

Thor Agena (Agena was just the upper stage) evolved into Delta.

The Delta upper stage was derived from the Able upper stage, not Agena.

Also, both. I'd accept fly-bys.

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.