Linux stops halfway on loading screen

Fedora 25

GA-970A-D3 mobo

GTX 1060

2x4gb ram

Phenom II 1100t

Logs:(both logs are after a fresh reinstall.)

KSP.log

KSP2.log <- This seems to display the too many open items error. Edit: I let it go for a while but it never finished trying to load. And the bar never moved... I'm not sure what is happening.

I think I"m on 1.3 but i'm not sure as I can't log in to be certain. I update via steam though so It should work. I will try t reinstall later but I need to wait a few days because of bandwidth limits.

The game loads to, "loading asset bundle definitions." Then the text disappear or quickly flashes a few text and then disappears and get stuck at halfway loading. it still changes the joke writing above but never finishes loading. The white text saying what files are being loaded vanishes. I've tried the various things to fix it like -1 from the resolution and the script and trying to delete pref files in /home/user/.config/Squad/kerbal space program/... to -force etc in both ways I've seen mentioned and nothing. The game simply seems to not be working now.

And now i can't even put up a player log because it has stopped putting in player logs to allow me to put them up. It will not auto refresh the pref or player log files for the game after deletion... It is not generating any of the files it used to. Edit: placed a log for KSP.log. Still cannot get them from home/user/.config/.../Kerbalspaceprogram.

Edit: I tried 32 bit and it seems to be doing the same thing also.

I keep seeing something about java errors. How would stock KSP be related to a java app in any way?!

I ran: "ulimit -n 4096 && /home/..../steamapps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/KSP.x86_64" and it got past the point it was stuck. Waiting for it to load...

So far so good.

Edited by Arugela

I'm already using that command from linux. I'm using english but have always needed it for other reasons.

I just ran a seperate older version of 1.2.2 that was for modded craft. It doesn't have (m)any mods in it as it was for my trying out moded custom parts I made. It may only have 1 or two extra mods. But it has some sort of text with it and stops at the same point now(even though it used to work) it says to many open files and something about IOreference among other things. And again I can't produce a log because the game seems to have stopped producing them. I even reinstalled the game and it still didn't work.

I found the normal KSP.log in the main folder. the ones in home/user/.config/... are no longer generating properly or something. I'll post the file soon.

KSP.log

KSP2.log

Edited by Arugela

Unfortunately ksp.log is not very useful here; upload crash.log and output_log.txt for us, those should be in a folder with a timestamp for a name. But, first, check the first lines of output_log.txt yourself: if they read something like

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

then you're running out of memory. I think this might be the case because of your "ulimit -n 4096" line, which my google-fu tells me is a Linux command for setting how many resources the user is allowed.

If that's the case, then there's nothing wrong with your KSP, it's your OS settings that need some looking into.

Hi @Arugela

What is your existing system open files limit? 

# ulimit -a

The standard is 1024 and your increase seems to be excessive for normal operation.

Your logs do not indicate which distribution you are using

>OS: Linux 4.11 unknown 64bit

Could you let us know by running uname?

# uname -a

Player.log should be created in your "Home/.config/unity3d/" and "Home/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/" folders unless specifically suppressed. You say these are not present? Is the prefs file missing too?

Could you go to your KSP installation folder and open a terminal. Run the following to establish that a new folder "Home/unity3d/SQUAD/" is created if it's not already? It should also create a Player.log file there. Posting all Player.log files may help us to identify the problem.

# ./Launcher.x86_64

Would you also mind trying to start KSP with the following switch from a terminal in the KSP installation folder to see if it helps with your Phenom processor?

# ./KSP.x86_64 -force-gfx-st

23 hours ago, Arugela said:

The game loads to, "loading asset bundle definitions." Then the text disappear or quickly flashes a few text and then disappears and get stuck at halfway loading. it still changes the joke writing above but never finishes loading.

This isn't Linux specific, it usually happens if you have multiple ModuleManager DLLs in your Gamedata directory. It includes cases having this file in subdirectories of the mods.
Delete all, leaving only one with the latest (highest) version and you'll be good to go.

15 hours ago, Squelch said:

Would you also mind trying to start KSP with the following switch from a terminal in the KSP installation folder to see if it helps with your Phenom processor?

# ./KSP.x86_64 -force-gfx-st

Hello, Squelch! Do you know the difference between "-force-gfx-st" and "-force-gfx-direct"?
Apparently they do the same thing,- disabling multithreaded rendering, however some sources claim that one can't use both of the options at the same time.
Thanks!

5 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

This isn't Linux specific, it usually happens if you have multiple ModuleManager DLLs in your Gamedata directory. It includes cases having this file in subdirectories of the mods.
Delete all, leaving only one with the latest (highest) version and you'll be good to go.

The supplied KSP.logs do not show any evidence of mods, but you are correct that this seems to be a common cause of crashes or loading freezes where mods have not been updated.

Hello, Squelch! Do you know the difference between "-force-gfx-st" and "-force-gfx-direct"?
Apparently they do the same thing,- disabling multithreaded rendering, however some sources claim that one can't use both of the options at the same time.

The documentation isn't exactly clear when it comes to Linux and these commandline switches. -force-gfx-st is specifically mentioned as a workaround for Phenom processors in Turbo mode, whereas -force-gfx-direct does not. Both do force single threaded rendering as you point out, but poor performance will result. The purpose in its use is to isolate any potential conflicts, and should not be considered a long term solution. Any of the -force-* options should be used with care and are there for debugging purposes, or where it is absolutely necessary due to hardware limitations.

@monstah is correct in that KSP.log does not give all of the information that we need, and Player.log will give far more indication of what is going on. It is suspicious that they are not being written.

@Arugela I took a look at your logs again and compared them with mine. And this string looks suspicious to me:

Your log:
Environment Info
Unix FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP.x86 LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64

My log:
Environment Info
Unix FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP.x86_64 -force-glcore41 

You are probably running 32bit version of KSP (KSP.x86), which gets "LC_ALL=C" passed as argument - and its an environment variable, and "./KSP.x86_64" - which is name of 64bit binary - but its passed as argument to 32bit binary..

Please look at the shortcut that starts KSP.

As an option, you could also get my script, place it as described and then call it from the shortcut instead. It will detect the correct binary and pass it the options which you easily select.

PS.
The glcore41 is correct in my case, I am on Mesa 12 :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.