KSP Challenge: Under Pressure!

Darth Badie

10 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

Well, sometimes bad piloting skills, lack of time and a not-so-good computer takes its toll. I've spent a total time of 3 hours attempting to land a 1000-ton craft on top of the VAB and I pretty much failed every time. I guess I'll take a break from challenges for now and play some actual Kerbal Space Program.  

Post some pics of what you are trying to get up. The trick for me was to use enough parachutes to arrest the speed to about 13m/s, and to use enough landing struts that even when half of them broke, the craft didn't touch the building.

After realizing there is no way I can compete with the big dogs, I decided to go small, only to discover @kozutti wins hands down (That was awesome). So I made it a competition with myself just to prove I could do it...

TgwP2ou.jpg

Success! 1.225T landed. No mods - except I noticed I grabbed the Porkjet FL-T100 tank but since it came from Squad I'm counting it as stock.

If I can actually get to launch my part-expensive craft with its 585 parachutes before my slow-S laptop crashes I might just be able to participate, but it's only gonna be somewhere around 1400 - 1500 tons so if it's not working after the 3 try I'll just drop the ball. If I can't get a proper ranking then I'm sure as hell not gonna try to hammer my crappy lappy through what it can't handle.

49 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

If I can actually get to launch my part-expensive craft with its 585 parachutes before my slow-S laptop crashes I might just be able to participate, but it's only gonna be somewhere around 1400 - 1500 tons so if it's not working after the 3 try I'll just drop the ball. If I can't get a proper ranking then I'm sure as hell not gonna try to hammer my crappy lappy through what it can't handle.

3 tries ain't working, I tried like 7 times to no avail. At 12 FPS.

5 hours ago, Kurtayn said:

Post some pics of what you are trying to get up. The trick for me was to use enough parachutes to arrest the speed to about 13m/s, and to use enough landing struts that even when half of them broke, the craft didn't touch the building.

I have enough parachutes to slow the craft down to about 10 m/s. Oh...so spam landing struts (as in landing legs right)

Welp back to trying, if you're wondering it's my 777 tons design on the first page with a 3.75m tanks around the sides with 3 Vectors on the bottom, because the Mammoth is too big and the Rhino doesn't give enough thrust. 

1 minute ago, The Space Dino said:

3 tries ain't working, I tried like 7 times to no avail. At 12 FPS.

I have enough parachutes to slow the craft down to about 10 m/s. Oh...so spam landing struts (as in landing legs right)

Welp back to trying, if you're wondering it's my 777 tons design on the first page with a 3.75m tanks around the sides with 3 Vectors on the bottom, because the Mammoth is too big and the Rhino doesn't give enough thrust. 

Try strapping the vectors on the side like I did, it gives more clearance for the landing struts and it makes it really easy to control.

Alrighty folks I've got some good news and some bad news:

The bad news is there was a train derailment that happened a few miles north of my position which is delaying all rail travel (A.K.A. me). Because of this I won't be able to add your submissions today, as I will be arriving at a tentative 3am on Monday morning. ;.;

The good(ish? I guess??) news is that because we're arriving so late I'm forced to cancel work and as a result I should be able to add your submissions tomorrow. Hah.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

9 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Alrighty folks I've got some good news and some bad news:

The bad news is there was a train derailment that happened a few miles north of my position which is delaying all rail travel (A.K.A. me). Because of this I won't be able to add your submissions today, as I will be arriving at a tentative 3am on Monday morning. ;.;

The good(ish? I guess??) news is that because we're arriving so late I'm forced to cancel work and as a result I should be able to add your submissions tomorrow. Hah.

Well at least you're home for 4th of July?

Not even trying to compete for tonnage, but figured I would see how quickly I could get my X-20 from the starting point on the runway to the VAB.  I was trying to get it up there in under a minute, but I settled for less than 90 seconds.  The craft isn't heavy at all, but is fairly controllable.

Under%20Pressure%20Challenge_zps3fgp1ydb

And just to punctuate Jeb's flying skill, he decided to land his jet on the Admin building to irritate the PR people inside. :sticktongue:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this craft is inspired by the Soviet Naval Aviation Yak-38.

Edited by Raptor9

Alright, since there are so many ppl landing on the VAB with their (VTOL-) planes I'll just paste my VTOL-converted F-22 over here from the plane conversion challenge. The post doesn't include an up to date screenshot of the weight but in that category it doesn't come anywhere close to winning anyway. 

On 28.5.2017 at 3:41 AM, DualDesertEagle said:

Ok, here we go:

My F-22 in its former unmodified form, nothing special:
1jbuot.png

27cusf.png

3y7ug9.png

4awu7s.png

And now for the heavily modified and much more badass VTOL-capable version:

5b3u7f.png

The weight in the screenshot above wasn't the final weight coz I had to use 2 VTOL-engines clipped into each other. A single Wheesley is just not powerful enough to lift this heavy monster.

67pugo.png

The screenshot above shows the failed config with reaction wheels only, instead of using RCS. But RCS was MUCH NEEDED to keep the plane under control in hovering mode.

7rzu5d.png

This was the first truly successful vertical take-off after I had to shift the VTOL-engines back and forth until I found the sweet spot (coz for some reason placing them directly at the CoM didn't work properly)

8scuru.png

Excellent view of the "VTOL-bay" as I call it.

95pu3w.png

With the VTOL-bay closed the plane looks barely different from the standard version. To achieve this I had to swap the MK2 liquid fuel tank for an MK2 cargo bay and since I didn't wat the landing gears to extend and retract through the cargo bay doors I had to place them inside and at an angle to still achieve proper stability while standing on the ground. The cargo bay doors and engine are both bound to the extend / retract key of the landing gears.

10beujb.png

Had I not done this myself I wouldn't believe it either, but after a transition from level flight to hovering mode I managed to land on the VAB at the first try!

Now that could have been luck, I thought to myself and attempted to land on the administration building, also after transitioning from level flight to hovering mode, and did it on the first try!

11lvuls.png

And to top things off I also landed here:

12vsuwy.png

And I tried to land on an even smaller rooftop, at which I failed spectacularly, tearing down a part of R&D:

135nulj.png

And this shows where exactly I tried to land:

14beuhv.png

Conclusion: While I'd proven several times to be a decent plane builder and pilot, I've surprised and possibly outdone myself here, despite having torn down a building after my modified F-22 got outta control, its right elevon got caught on a small structure sticking out of the rooftop, the plane flipped over and landed on the R&D building upside down with the VTOL-engines throttled up to somewhere around 15 tons of combined thrust. But I think the 3 successful landings before that incident speak for themselves.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:40 AM, EBOSHI said:

Under Pressure! 1st challenge.

Entry for "CHALLENGE MODE", with Tigher-Moth (from 'Laputa')

Mass: 68.6t

mUXgh9b.png

PPVLTEe.png

Cu3B3H2.png

2RJLkCa.png

H15ROlR.png

Oh my Kod... you have no idea how much I love this movie :) I recognized the tiger moth before I even read your text! Awesome job Eboshi! Is your name perhaps from another Miyazaki film too? :wink:

Adding entries as I speak

On 3-7-2017 at 0:49 AM, momo219 said:

My second challenge IJN I 400 class Submarine on VAB (1002 t)
Only stock parts and no MODrP8AmVb.jpgEluPexI.jpgunSas0Q.jpg

すごい!

Forgive me, it's very rusty. Had to use translate.

Edited by Azimech

ALL SCORES UP TO HERE ARE POSTED

They aren't yet listed in order of weight. Please check your entry and please tell me if I put you in the wrong category. The rules said clearly say "All mods except tweakscale" and/or "Bone Stock" but since more than 80% of you assumed that KER and MJ (simply for craft data) counted in "bone stock" entries I'll have to roll with it and keep them in the challenge mode category. :P

Also, There are surprisingly few entries for Anything goes... if anyone has a spare hour I'd suggest building something massive and landing it with indestructible facilities on!

@Vaisman, @Azimech, @roadkill10ukulele10, and @Kurtayn can you four confirm that your heaviest entries do not have indestructible facilities enabled? Seeing as you are currently the top four entries I need to double check. :wink:

29 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

They aren't yet listed in order of weight. Please check your entry and please tell me if I put you in the wrong category. The rules said clearly say "All mods except tweakscale" and/or "Bone Stock" but since more than 80% of you assumed that KER and MJ (simply for craft data) counted in "bone stock" entries I'll have to roll with it and keep them in the challenge mode category. :P

Also, There are surprisingly few entries for Anything goes... if anyone has a spare hour I'd suggest building something massive and landing it with indestructible facilities on!

@Vaisman, @Azimech, @roadkill10ukulele10, and @Kurtayn can you four confirm that your heaviest entries do not have indestructible facilities enabled? Seeing as you are currently the top four entries I need to double check. :wink:

The best way for you to check mine is to do it yourself, I think. Want a link?

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

nding it with indestructible facilities on!

Yes, i confirm it. Also checked that static load of 1600 tons did not destroy VAB, and probably landing gear/struts is problem. I've use beams as landing gear for heavy vehicles, beams crushes VAB, wheels - not.

5 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Did not have indestructible buildings enabled. I actually was going to because I spent a dumb amount of time on this, but didn't know how. Was going to place it in the anything goes category but didn't know how lol. So challenge mode because I didn't know how to not do it challenge mode.

Edited by Kurtayn
clarification

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.