KSP Challenge: Under Pressure!

Darth Badie

cNV67jcnTnPf0fW_0-ElIp1OrxEMVcp9aSX1FuIu

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “Under Pressure” 

Land the heaviest craft possible on the VAB

Rules:

• Build a craft and land it on top of the VAB (I.E. on or near the helipads)

• You can enter as many times as you like, so long as you include the following information:
  1. An image of your craft landed on the VAB   http://i.imgur.com/a4f3MAP.png
  2. An image in map view with your craft's mass   http://i.imgur.com/bjl2KDR.png

This challenge is brought to you by @Avera9eJoe He will be running two scoreboards in the top comment:

CHALLENGE MODE ANYTHING GOES
  • Bone stock only
  • Destructible facilities    
  • All mods but TweakScale allowed*
  • Indestructible facilities

*Sorry but no planet-sized craft on the VAB please!

Awards:

atIxJ2SA9Pd3loMf7VSlK1MGJ--ZaNzisl4MNdTU Anyone who posts an entry will receive a bronze participants badge.

Gbjs3fg1qwnT163yiryTTkou8Erqy5E3ykM5SEP7 The top three heaviest entries per category receive a silver nominee badge.

UXjvSN6jyajqLhbVd4gQH-oucE86kHKOKpvsDhNF The heaviest entry in each category will receive the golden champions badge.

@Avera9eJoe will be updating the listings once or twice a day so don't be worried if it takes a while to make it to the leader board.

We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Oh, this looks cool!  

I love landing on the VAB... it'll be fun seeing how heavy a ship can go.

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

Because Badie prepared this before she went on vacation, and it was recently moved to public view. 

Smart girl!  :wink:

Reserving for scoreboards :) I was planning on posting immediately after the challenge went public but sadly it wasn't released when I had my timer set :/ we'll have to do with scoreboards being on the 6th post instead. I'll start adding this this evening when I'm back from the USS Midway museum!

EDIT: Rats! I wish the title post wasn't reworded so much... I had made a custom banner and had some fun wording included :P

CHALLENGE MODE ANYTHING GOES
  • Bone stock
  • Destructible facilities

Thomas_smith: 246T tanker

おしるこ: 150T VTOL

anarog_1: 110T DDR machine

EBOSHI: 69T 'Tiger Moth' from Laputa

Spoo Hunter: VTOL

momo219: 61T Gundam

ws513: 211T tanker

Rezolution: 42T non-VTOL Jet

ws513: 739T tanker

Cloma: 366T tanker

Vaisman: 809T tanker

EBOSHI: 200T 'Throwing Spear' Tanker

Vaisman: 1600T twin tankers

Red Shirt: 1T VTOL

momo219: 1003T Submarine

Raptor9: 4T VTOL jet

DualDesertEagle: 15T VTOL F-22

inivision: 873T tanker

Azimech: 1200T crane (And potted plant)

Kurtayn: 2997.92T tanker

Azimech: 10T 1969 Dodge Charger R/T

seiryu: 11T VAB-ramp...

Ossan3: 549T ore refinery

seiryu: 341T cargo plane

kozutti: 0.1T Valentina launched from a cannon

*MajorTom*: 380T K-thulhu statue

• All mods except tweakscale
  • Indestructible facilities

MatthewTheFurry: 4T helicopter

freK: 1022T potted plant (and tanker)

Just Jim: 234T 'Annabel Lee' airship

ernstsmit: 3314T tanker

PlonioFludrasco: VTOL cargo plane (w/ BDA)

roadkill10ukulele10: 2113T tanker

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Okay, tried it with 777 tons multiple times. Even with hack gravity on, the moment my craft tipped over and landed on the roof of the VAB at 0.6 m/s, the VAB just fell apart instantly. 

Lots of fun spazzing and launch pad destruction too though, the crew actually survived through it all. I did succeed in making Valentina look scared during the wild spazzing... 

My lads all gave in to the stock STOL idea, but it proved too hard to do (like... literally)
So my lads brought out the old Speedbird Mk.III, a disused helicopter after the lads at Administration proved that cars are easier to use and more effective than Helicopters.

33 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

use parachutes, it's easier.

Not for 400 tonnes. My plan is to hover from the launch pad. Figured that arresting your horizontal velocity is the hardest part, so I'm going to set down sliding sideways and using the breaks to stop.

2nd attempt: plane (spoiler: bad Idea)

Edited by Physics Student

Hmm, very interesting looking submissions. I am decent at drawing, but if you ask me to decorate a rocket using rocket parts I'm pretty hopeless at that, so I guess I'll just save my time :/

@Physics Student so for 400 tonnes the craft didn't kill the VAB? My 777-ton craft can actually land on the VAB at about 3-4 m/s with engines and (A LOT OF) parachutes, without engines it's more like an ore dump. 

Would like to ask, is infinite fuel allowed for the challenge mode? I do have destructible buildings on.

Just for fun in the Anything Goes category :

The other day while trying to bring down a ship from orbit in Galileo's Planet Pack, I missed my landing zone by 1.6km (you can see it in the distance) and had to perform an emergency landing on the nearest pad available...

SznXZdH.jpg

And how it should have gone (it's always a lot easier with sub-orbital trajectories) :

I1odbcW.jpg

22 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

Hmm, very interesting looking submissions. I am decent at drawing, but if you ask me to decorate a rocket using rocket parts I'm pretty hopeless at that, so I guess I'll just save my time :/

@Physics Student so for 400 tonnes the craft didn't kill the VAB? My 777-ton craft can actually land on the VAB at about 3-4 m/s with engines and (A LOT OF) parachutes, without engines it's more like an ore dump. 

Would like to ask, is infinite fuel allowed for the challenge mode? I do have destructible buildings on.

Infinite fuel? We start with one cheat and end up with users requesting the gravity of Gilly ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.