Is the Outer Space "peace" treaty about to end?

vger

Lawmakers within the House Armed Services Committee have introduced legislation that would require the U.S. Air Force to establish a "Space Corps" as a distinct branch of the military by January 1, 2019

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/f6b2eda5-2359-33d0-97c2-e487d5231183/ss_space-corps%3A-lawmakers-lay.html

The Outer Space Treaty is not a peace treaty. It bans WMDs in space and use of celestial bodies for military purposes. Conventional weapons are allowed, as is militarization of vacuum (up to and including orbital bombardment). That leaves a Space Corps plenty of room to operate without violating it.

In addition to what HebaruSan said:

Much to the contrary, the Outer Space Treaty seems to be quite popular. So much so in fact that even careful and tentative moves to amend it for more contemporary times (it was signed at the height of the cold war after all) are generally met with vehement refusal (usually without even considering the proposal). A lot of countries want this treaty to simply stay in place as-is.

Not to mention that an incredibly large number of countries have ratified it - including, as surprising as it sounds, North Korea (since 2009). Few treaties ever get as widely adopted as the OST.

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

The Outer Space Treaty is not a peace treaty. It bans WMDs in space and use of celestial bodies for military purposes. Conventional weapons are allowed, as is militarization of vacuum (up to and including orbital bombardment). That leaves a Space Corps plenty of room to operate without violating it.

This sounds more like an reorganization than anything else. 
They tried to merge the icbm and space branches once and it did not work well because of very different culture. 

Three guys. And a woman, who is probably smarter than three of them put together. :D

Though i will freely admit they could be a bit... goofy at times. But always in good cause :D

latest?cb=20080430150938

Edited by Scotius

7 hours ago, Scotius said:

Will Space Corps have 4 people exploration and combat teams? And operate from under Cheyenne Mountain?

SG-1-S4-Team.jpg

if im thinking of the right thing first thing i think of upon hearing Cheyenne is the Plains Indians (on and off the reservation) (by that i mean explain)

Edited by kerbinorbiter

18 minutes ago, kerbinorbiter said:

if im thinking of the right thing first thing i think of upon hearing Cheyenne is the Plains Indians (on and off the reservation) (by that i mean explain)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Mountain_Complex

From the link:

The Cheyenne Mountain Complex is a military installation and nuclear bunker located in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station,[a] which hosts the activities of several tenant units.

Formerly the center for the United States Space Command and NORAD, the Complex monitored the airspace of Canada and the United States through a worldwide system for missiles, space systems, and foreign aircraft through its early-warning system.[7] Since 2008, NORAD and the United States Space Command have been based at Peterson Air Force Base and the complex, re-designated as an Air Force station, is used for flight crew training and as a backup command center if required.[8]

39 minutes ago, kerbinorbiter said:

Go watch Stargate TV series. And Stargate Atlantis. They are rare breed - sci-fi shows centered on adventure, exploration, friendship and hope that humans can actually do some good given the chance. With very little doom, gloom and grittiness chocking the fun out of other similiar shows *coughBattlestarGalactica2003cough*.

19 hours ago, Scotius said:

Will Space Corps have 4 people exploration and combat teams? And operate from under Cheyenne Mountain?

SG-1-S4-Team.jpg

As long as the commander of the team wisecracks all the time and is hiding his intelligence, we have a book smart guy who ascends to a higher plane, an alien with a weird worm parasite thing incubating inside him, and a tech savvy highly skilled woman, we'll be fine. I mean, how many times do you have to save the world to get a promotion? Or blow up stars?

18 hours ago, Kryten said:

There's already a USAF space command, this is just taking it one step up the hierarchy. Nothing new.

Huh. My avatar is the logo of a space wing. Specifically the 21st.

4 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Huh. My avatar is the logo of a space wing. Specifically the 21st.

And I remember coopting the 27th for a fictitious realization of Project Hot Eagle.

On a totally unrelated note... Falcon 9 first stage can throw a fully loaded Dragon 2 towards Europe and then RTLS. I think the math works out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.