Space Station stuff.

So, i really like building space stations, but there are quite a few things missing. Luckily there are mods, and i alot of station mods, but more in stock would be nice too.

- A little bit more station parts, or a maybe a texture revamp would be nice, There is a lack of station crew cans, and just 1 could spice the game up entirely. Maybe an adapter module, or something like that.

- Supplies for a space station to maintain itself would be an interesting mechanic for the game, something like life support or experiments would make an interesting challenge.

And thats all i have and want, im not begging for anything just an idea. Do you have any ideas related to space stariom? Feel free to post the, here if you want to i dont care.

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

Supplies for a space station to maintain itself would be an interesting mechanic for the game, something like life support or experiments would make an interesting challenge

i would like to see a upkeep coast mechanic.. i imagined it like this:

- every craft has a daily operations rate based on part-count or something,
- kerbals have salary based on their lv, double when on mission(danger money is a real thing)
- upkeep coast for KSC based on lv 

now i hear you thinking you never make that kind of funds with contracts but see here a solution:
- Space tourists! build space station -> put tourists in there -> get daily funds
- sell unwanted space craft to competitor for instant funds
- satellite network supplier, get fund for suppling 100% network coverage on x planet
- build mining operations (their is a mod for this but) mind gold on not kerbin, fly back get funds. (this would be awesome if it could work in the back ground)

I'd like to see resupply mission contracts. Using the same technique that finds existing stations and generates contracts to add modules, it probably (at least I would assume) wouldn't be too difficult to add in contracts that ask you to send a spacecraft to dock with a station and later return to Kerbin after a set time, or something like that.

8 hours ago, NSEP said:

- Supplies for a space station to maintain itself would be an interesting mechanic for the game, something like life support or experiments would make an interesting challenge.

A lot of players are averse to the idea of life support. If it were to be added, I would imagine it would be somewhere in the difficulty settings so players could choose to turn it on or off. But honestly I doubt it'll be added at all; it's been a fairly common request for a long time but enough people oppose it that the developers seem unlikely to add it.

Another thing that would be nice for stations (and in general) is a greater range of structural part options:

• angle-locked docking ports
  • square and octagonal docking ports for the trusses
  • more truss parts for both the square and octagonal trusses

It is actually one of less obvious but crucial features of KSP that time does not matter. If you want to go for eeloo nothing prevents you timewarping twenty years to get correct phase angle. Having to supply a  station certainly would.

1 hour ago, radonek said:

It is actually one of less obvious but crucial features of KSP that time does not matter. If you want to go for eeloo nothing prevents you timewarping twenty years to get correct phase angle. Having to supply a  station certainly would.

Actually you reach the phase angles for the outer planets more often than for planets closer to Kerbin. The ideal Hohmann transfer windows to get to Duna or Eve appear only once every several years, while for Eeloo it appears almost annually because Eeloo moves much slower compared to Kerbin (and for Moho it occurs several times per year using the same principle that Kerbin moved very little compared to Moho in one Moho year).

To add to my previous comment, while a station in need of resupply would slow down warping to a transfer window, it would also encourage expanding the station so that its supplies last longer, and making bigger supply transports so that more supplies can be sent up in a single mission. Thus encouraging infrastructure expansion and technology progression.

4 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

A lot of players are averse to the idea of life support. If it were to be added, I would imagine it would be somewhere in the difficulty settings so players could choose to turn it on or off. But honestly I doubt it'll be added at all; it's been a fairly common request for a long time but enough people oppose it that the developers seem unlikely to add it.

Lots of people wanted RemoteTech and there was a fair amount of opposition but that didn't stop Squad for adding CommNet in 1.2

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

To add to my previous comment

BTW, you can just edit posts instead of adding a second

8 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Lots of people wanted RemoteTech and there was a fair amount of opposition but that didn't stop Squad for adding CommNet in 1.2

That's true. Though I still get the feeling that life support is unlikely. I like the idea of it (though honestly I'd probably prefer a more complex system than the KSP devs would be likely to add, like Kerbalism) but I doubt it'll happen.

8 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

BTW, you can just edit posts instead of adding a second

I'm well aware of this. I added a new post because it was several hours after my previous one and I didn't want it to be missed by people who'd seen my earlier comment.

I don't like the idea of life-support so much, I feel like it demands too much of the player to constantly keep their stations supplied.

I would like to see regular generated contracts to a station in career mode. That way you can make some money off your station by regularly supplying it but players aren't forced to supply the space station every few months if they don't want to.

I love space station building in KSP, what I would like to see is more space station specific parts, like habitat, capsules, and crew quarters. About life support, I don't particularly like the idea of limited supplies that makes building and resupplying far stations seems too much to handle. I would like for life support "parts" instead of "resources", for example, an orbital hydroponic that provides food for x amount of kerbal (so more crew means more module needed). However, the food isn't listed on resource tab, its merely an aesthetic to show that there's a need for supplies, yet it's limited for x amount of crew. Adding more crew than the module can handle would result in some of the crew inoperative, or reduce the efficiency of their work (science lab conversion, drilling efficiency, maneuvering rate)

15 hours ago, ARS said:

About life support, I don't particularly like the idea of limited supplies that makes building and resupplying far stations seems too much to handle. I would like for life support "parts" instead of "resources",

About that... That would be very easy to emulate with any existing life support mod. Once you know the consumption rate per kerbal (in whatever units works for that mod), RTG-like parts could be produced, which will infinitely generate consumables, and infinitely consume waste at exactly or near this rate. What would keep this LS challenging is if the crew capacity is exceeded long enough to empty the consumables tank, and long enough that everyone ends up dying. If this is made into its own mod it could be named after that trending new station-keeping space sim.

The idea of stock station parts overall is indeed appealing. A few trusses, angle-locked docking ports, ring segments and even experiments that take a long time to start/finish would be a fine addition to stock. I admire the effort of everyone who makes a stock station ring but I hate the increase of part count and the challenge of aligning the parts to make a perfect circle.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I would very like to see stock station parts.  It wouldn't have to be much, just a couple few parts that "push" you towards building a station. 

What I would like to see is contracts and or science aimed at stations, just like IRL.  A contract appears that includes a part that must be taken to the station, included in that part is 'science' that must be processed in obit in a processing lab.  The science cannot be recovered or transmitted until it's been processed. 

Also, contracts that boost PR would work too.  Some of the more famous events on the ISS are from basically PR stunts.  A number of Hadfield's videos comes to mind, the longest football (american) throw ever, etc.   Some part or mechanism that is attached to the station would allow for 'video broadcasting', given the right bandwidth antenna attached, that would allow for the completion of the contract. 

They may be mods similar to this idea, or maybe not.  Either way, please point them out, or start work on them!  (I would, but I have neither the time nor the skills, and lack of time prevents lack of skills).

I don't play career a lot, but I have to agree more station parts would be nice. At the moment, there are a couple parts for stations like the lab and the 6 point hub, but not much else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.