What should I try and do next?

jordanlane93

Hey everyone!

I currently have researched everything in the heavy rocketry column. I've gone to mun, and minimums several times. I'm wondering what I should try and do next? I can't build a space station yet or any rovers so I don't know if I'm ready to go to other planets yet? Should I keep going to bodies in Kerbal orbit until I get things I can use for missions to other worlds?

I also have 559 in science right now and don't know what to use it on. 

Edited by jordanlane93

Hi there, welcome! It seems you're asking for suggestions, not making suggestions (for the game, that is), so I'm moving this to KSP Discussion sub forum, OK?

Why can't you build stations? You seem to have a lot of parts available already. Lack the ability? Then practice it! I think you'll feel very proud of yourself when you get the first modules clicking together :)

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

21 minutes ago, jordanlane93 said:

I've gone to mun, and minimums several times. I'm wondering what I should try and do next? I can't build a space station yet or any rovers so I don't know if I'm ready to go to other planets yet?

Yes, you're totally ready to go to other planets, at least as far as technology is concerned.  :) It only takes very slightly more dV to go to Duna or Eve than it does to go to Minmus.  If you can build a rocket to reach Minmus, you can get to the other planets.

It does take an extra skill set for interplanetary navigation.  If you'd like to practice that, try going to the Mun from Minmus, or vice versa.  If you can do that, then you have what it takes to navigate between planets.

A launch window planner can be a handy tool for that.  There are various ones out there-- my personal favorite is http://ksp.olex.biz, mainly just because it's so simple and intuitive to use.  You tell it where you're going from and to, and it shows you some little pictures illustrating when to launch, with numbers for how big a burn you'll need.

Some things to know before you go:

• Eve is easy to get to and very easy to land on with parachutes (as long as you've got a heat shield)... but incredibly hard to take off from.  So, going to Eve and back is something you should save until you're a true KSP expert.  However, you can totally send some little unmanned probes on one-way trips to Eve.  Great way to pick up some juicy science to give you more shiny toys to play with.
  • Duna's your easiest place to go to and back again.  You'll want to land using parachutes and drogue chutes.  The atmosphere is so thin that parachutes often aren't enough to slow you down sufficiently to land, but that's easy to compensate with a quick burst of engine thrust just before touchdown.

Good luck!  And if you have trouble with your ship design, the Gameplay Questions forum is a great place to ask.

Now, admittedly the game doesn't give you much use for stations apart from fuel depots or processing labs, but part of this game is coming up with your own objectives. Besides, a fuel depot in Mun orbit makes for good landing, launching and rendezvous practice

On 6/22/2017 at 3:02 PM, monstah said:

Now, admittedly the game doesn't give you much use for stations apart from fuel depots or processing labs, but part of this game is coming up with your own objectives. Besides, a fuel depot in Mun orbit makes for good landing, launching and rendezvous practice

Another good use for a Lower Kerbin Orbit is a way station for returning all those stranded kerbals back to the planet.  Set up a station with multiple cheap return vessels docked to the station, with a utility vehicle to go out and pick the stranded kerbals up. and a fuel tank to keep the utility vehicle fueled.   That way you save on not having to launch a rescue ship each time to bring them all the way home. When you run out of return vessels, send up a supply ship with more return vessels and fuel.  Nice cheap way to recruit more victims.... err Heroes.

Edited by themonk

There's a lot of science in the Kerbin system. Have you completed the tech tree? If so, you can use the policy that converts science to money. If you haven't completed the tree, then I suggest doing that. Maybe just get up to ISRU, and go to Duna with a fleet of cool spaceships. I know that's my plan.

Edited by Bill Phil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.