Fix the physics

To start off, I would like to say that there are two things that mods cannot do effectively for this game. Multiplayer, and better physics. Other than that, mods all the way. Now I would love multiplayer, but it will never happen as some players resist it. (Resistance is futile). Now the second thing that mods can't accomplish, physics, is not resisted by any player. So here are my suggestions:

- Allow kerbals to walk on moving surfaces. This will definitely make the people at mission reports/KSP storytelling extremely happy, and it will make any player happy. It adds so much functionality when kerbals can actually do things on the decks of ships and the wings of planes. This feature could be done by making kerbals "stick" to things they walk on more, and by making kerbals have a realistic weight and realistic aero so they don't decelerate at 5g when they jump out of a cockpit.

- do the same for planes so planes could taxi on flying airstrips

- do the same for rovers, for the same reasons

- this isn't physics, but weather should be added, mostly for wind purposes

-waves

On 6/22/2017 at 5:28 PM, 322997am said:

- Allow kerbals to walk on moving surfaces. This will definitely make the people at mission reports/KSP storytelling extremely happy, and it will make any player happy. It adds so much functionality when kerbals can actually do things on the decks of ships and the wings of planes. This feature could be done by making kerbals "stick" to things they walk on more, and by making kerbals have a realistic weight and realistic aero so they don't decelerate at 5g when they jump out of a cockpit.

They can, just about, I think. But do you really think IRL pilots can hold on to a cockpit hatch if the plan is flying at 100 m/s (200-ish mph)? No. Also, as far as I know, they weigh about 90 kg, about the same as a person. Bit on the heavy side, but still reasonable. The drag .... i'm not so sure. Also, why should they "stick" to things? They have boots. Unless I'm mistaken, boots do not have magic glue on the bottom to make kerbals stick to anything. I can agree, in certain cases, it would be nice for kerbals to have some friction on moving surfaces. But they sholdn't be sticky.

do the same for planes so planes could taxi on flying airstrips

No. Just cause you are in the air, but kinda landed, doesn't mean aerodynamics should take a hike. That would be breaking physics, which is the thing you are trying to "fix". And if you really want, you could have the down thrusters on the plane to prevent it from taking off again.

do the same for rovers, for the same reasons

Rovers can flip in real life. So can cars. Why shouldn't KSP rovers be able to do the same? Or for that matter, why should they be sticky? Again, they don't have glue on the bottom.

Fixing physics doesn't mean changing them so its convenient for you. Fixing it means changing it to emulate real-life to some degree. KSP is not perfect, but its kinda accurate.

this isn't physics, but weather should be added, mostly for wind purposes

Maybe? There's a thread about this.

-waves

This implies fluid calculations or something. I'm not sure, but this could take more effort than its worth. How often do you actually build a boat to go on the ocean? Also, think about that of the player landed, they still bobbed up and down. Could be annoying.

On 22-6-2017 at 11:28 PM, 322997am said:

Now I would love multiplayer, but it will never happen as some players resist it.

It's not people that resist MP. It's the nature of the game.

As @qzgy said: "Rovers can flip in real life." In KSP rovers do not flip because of flawed physics but rather because they are bleeping fast compared to real life. The real life Curiosity Mars rover has a top speed of about 30 metres (98 ft) per hour. In KSP you can reach 30 metres per second without too much difficulty. That's 3600 times faster.
At real life speeds you'll notice KSP rovers are remarkably solid. And if Curiosity would move at KSP speeds it would bounce around like a rag doll too

Edited by Tex_NL
typo correction

If you're unsure why rovers flip, keep in mind that 30m/s is 67mph (108kph). You are moving at highway speeds in a rather off-road environment, and in low gravity situations like Duna or the Mun, that only exaggerates every little bump.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.