Add a colonization system

On 6/26/2017 at 10:14 AM, Alshain said:

Space stations don't need propellant.  So that isn't tedious at all.  Unless they implement N-body it will remain that way.  Constant life support resupply missions are tedious.  The only way to curb that would be multiple payers working on the same station.  So without multiplayer, LS is tedious and a lot more tedious than bringing enough propellant (which is none at all).

If LS is required for a meaningful colonization then I say no to colonization.  However, I think it can be made meaningful with just off-world manufacturing as the end goal, so even that isn't true.

I'm the type of player that enjoy's life support, even with the needed resupplies (and occasionally dead kerbals), but I hear you on not wanting/not enjoying that type of play style.  So if they do make stock LS, I hope (and certainly would expect) that it would be toggleable.

One thing I wish the LS mods would do, so as to address your concerns about needing to micromanage stations, would be to add a part that provides an infinite amount of life support to the craft in question (essentially, this part would represent automated resupply missions to the station in question, the player need only let their imagination make that connection).  When you want to have LS constraints on that craft, you can turn the part off; when you want to do a long-term mission with time warp, you can turn that part on and imagine that the craft is being automatically resupplied while you manage the other mission.

Toggleable life support requirements in stock would be fine with me. It makes sense because right now probes have more limitations  and require more support on far off mission than kerbals.

As to "colonization" in general, just putting an ISRU operation on another world seems to be a form of colonization - extending the ISRU to include life support resupply would be fine with me if life support were in the game.

Its how I'm playing at the moment

JBRz757.png

(4x algae farms, 2x container greenhouses, 1x habitate greenhouse, from the KPBS mod. Also a water purifier, a water drill, 2x KPBS inline ore drills, and an Elektron water splitter [to generate O2])

• 2 months later...

Kerbals are robots. They don't need life support.

Hear me out:

If I have a lander that hits the ground at >12 m/s, it falls apart and explodes. Kerbals, on the other hand, can survive 30 m/s falls, get up, and start using their jetpack again. They even seem to enjoy the process. They also frequently survive G-forces that tear their ships apart and would turn a human IRL to mush.

They are clearly incredibly durable artificial lifeforms created by a more advanced race. They're probably powered by some kind of internal fusion reactor. The reason they're trying to get into space, in their comically inept way, is probably to find their creators.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.