135 members have voted

1. 1. How many do you have

• Stock
    • 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

So I myself have a heavily modded install, with about 45 folders in gamedata  not counting the squad folder. So I want to know why do you use certain mods.

It's either stuff that should have been in the game, like the various procedural parts mods or KER. Or stuff that vastly improves gameplay & makes the game more interesting, fun or less annoying, like Waypoint Manager, RPM, SCANSat, tweakscale& the various aircraft parts packs I use (& Firespitter)

I use a few mods (no more then 10 or 11). Most of these are either to help me build rockets (KER) or to make certain parts of the game more fun, like base building, exploring planets and EVA/ (rover mods, KAS/KIS, and extra planetary launch pads). I also use USI LS because it seemed a bit boring being able to send 10 Kerbals to the mun without having to worry much.

Edited by nascarlaser1

KER and Transfer Window Calculator for obvious reasons, KIS/KAS for convenience mostly because surface docking is a chore.

What I've discovered is that the more mods I install, the less I achieve because I get sidetracked. Like when I got tweakscale or Mk4 spaceplane parts. All great mods, but my projects grew out of proportion. And don't get me started about MKS! So many possibilities...

I use

- Environmental Visual Enhancements - for the nice clouds that still aren´t included in the stock game, which is really a shame after so many years...

- Kerbal Engineer Redux - for the inflight tools and nice readouts during construction

- HyperEdit - to test boats and special vehicles without the need to transport them to the test area

- Editor Extensions - for the useful options during construction

and thats it.

Edit: I lied :D - i also use the overhauled engines and tanks, that were posted a while ago in the Daily Kerbal, because they look and feel so much better..

Edited by Frank_G

>50000 MM patches in my current RO install. No idea about the stock install (haven't loaded it in a month or so) but it's definitely over 20 mods. I simply can't play the base game anymore, it's too basic and lacking in detail.

20+ Bwaahahahahahaha!!! :D:D:D

I lost count! Partially I even mod these mods to my liking.

Why? Because:

The game can look nicer and I have the hardware to run it.

Some things just add an extra challenge, like lifesupport or runtime of radio signals.

In some parts the game's UI is lacking, dV readouts missing completely, some editor tools make the "work" easier.

Other mods add possibilites, be it building in orbit without docking lots of pieces or simply plugging in fuel lines to share resources.

The 'why' is the most important part of this question. And I am pretty sure it is the same for nearly everybody: Because the game NEEDS it. Too many features are still missing in KSP. Mods bring the game closer to completion.

Edited by Tex_NL

I can't really answer that as I have about a dozen KSP installs, and maybe 4 of them are "active" in that I expect I'll play in them going forward. However, the only one I'm currently playing on has only 3, because I'm doing a challenge and trying to keep it mostly stock.

I have both a vanilla install and a modded install.

Mods are usually limited to KIS/KAS, chatterer, and EVE. Mostly just visual and audio enhancements and the ability to make EVA something worth doing. Nothing to intensive.

Currently? 0 mods. I wanted to get back into the game so I tried installing about 30 at once, not all of them updated to the latest version... You can imagine how well that went (didn't even reach the main menu screen...)

I love mods though and some of my best games were modded. I'll try installing mods properly one day :P

While I am sure there's someone out there with more miles than I have installed, my career game which currently is 1.2.2, has more than 220 mods installed. I do not recommend this many mods for many people, but this is a game I am streaming and I wanted certain abilities which all of these mods give me.

So far, I've installed only a single mod: Better Burn Time.  It's helpful for ordinary maneuvers, doing a better job of "centering the burn" than I can, as well as reporting if I don't have enough fuel on board for the scheduled burn (watch out for staging, though).  It's much more helpful for landings, because it gives you an "earliest ignition time" for a suicide burn landing -- burn at indicated zero (time to impact equals burn time to stop) and you'll stop well above surface; go lower and you're playing chicken, a little.  Best of all, though, it's got a docking mode that greatly simplifies getting stopped at the right time for a docking.

I'm sure I'll add others eventually -- if my machine were up to it, I'd like to get some beauty add-ons to make Kerbin look more like a planet and less like a cartoon.  I might also, sometime, try things like Real Fuels, RSS, and Realism Overhaul.  If I can ever afford a fast-clock computer...

6 mods.

ModuleManager - because of the obvious
MemGraph - because it helps calm stutter (a little)
SCANsat - because I don't go anywhere without mapping it first
KAC - because of too many irons in the fire, and she gets mad when I'm late for a date
Hullcam VDS Continued - because of docking cameras, like the real thing
Chatterer - because I got tired of talking to myself, and I needed a good laugh, and Kerbals are hilarious if you take the time to listen

Edited by LordFerret

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.