KSP Weekly: The Arecibo Message

SQUAD

On 23/06/2017 at 9:03 PM, SQUAD said:

This message carries basic information about humanity and Earth and consists of seven parts: The numbers one to ten; the atomic numbers of the elements hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and phosphorus, which make up deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA); the formulas for the sugars and bases in the nucleotides of DNA; the number of nucleotides in DNA, and a graphic of the double helix structure of DNA; a graphic figure of a human, the dimension (physical height) of an average man, and the human population of Earth; a graphic of the Solar System indicating which of the planets the message is coming from

Food is here, it is human shaped, come eat.

On 6/24/2017 at 4:13 AM, sgt_flyer said:

snip

My suggestion: Be happy KSP is so mod friendly.  I've had the feeling for a while that KSP1's development is coming to a close.  The development of DLC reinforces that feeling for me.

Personally, I have long since come to terms with KSP requiring mods.  KSP 1.3 is a fine backbone, and anything beyond that is icing on mash potatoes.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

My suggestion: Be happy KSP is so mod friendly.  I've had the feeling for a while that KSP1's development is coming to a close.  The development of DLC reinforces that feeling for me.

Personally, I have long since come to terms with KSP requiring mods.  KSP 1.3 is a fine backbone, and anything beyond that is icing on mash potatoes.

A little more ability to set orbital parameters of custom planets would be nice, maybe some way to change the models used for kerbals.

Then we could have closer to total conversion mods allowing humans, in the real solar system, and a historically accurate space race scenario and other things.

I also am very happy KSP is so mod friendly. Without mods I would have stopped playing years ago.

Squad, are you ever going to provide a DATE for the Console fix?

Most companies do their fans a decent favor and put a line in the sand with a release date as to when they may get to see a game/update.  Providing comments each week of "Submitting builds, testing builds....blah blah blah"  has become nothing but noise without any true sign of progress.  I've had the game for just short of a year now in which it has sat on my PS4 harddrive and done nothing, and I have no true sign of that ever changing.

How about providing a date, and attempt to actually meet it?

Edited by Swacer

41 minutes ago, Swacer said:

Squad, are you ever going to provide a DATE for the Console fix?

Most companies do their fans a decent favor and put a line in the sand with a release date as to when they may get to see a game/update.  Providing comments each week of "Submitting builds, testing builds....blah blah blah"  has become nothing but noise without any true sign of progress.  I've had the game for just short of a year now in which it has sat on my PS4 harddrive and done nothing, and I have no true sign of that ever changing.

How about providing a date, and attempt to actually meet it?

The last release was rushed and terrible due to drawing a line in the sand with a release date. They're working hard on it,  don't harass them.

Realease date estimations are really dificult to do, but are focusing on getting the updated console version right instead of rushing a release date. Once we have total certainty of the release date, we'll share it with you all. :wink: 

On 6/26/2017 at 11:23 AM, John FX said:

maybe some way to change the models used for kerbals.

As I understand it this is already a thing, just no one has done so yet. It's a bit more complex than part modeling, there's a significant amount of rigging to do for all the animations. 

54 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

As I understand it this is already a thing, just no one has done so yet. It's a bit more complex than part modeling, there's a significant amount of rigging to do for all the animations. 

I always like it when I am out of date with this sort of thing. Of course now the RO/RSS/RP-0 crowd have yet another job to do, hehe.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Do you have a [citation] for this? As I understood it the Kerbals and their animations are some sort of protected asset, and replacing them would be incredibly tough and/or require violating the EULA in some fashion. Because if it is a thing I'm very surprised no one from the RO group has been heavily campaigning and recruiting for this to happen.

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'm guessing that actually setting up all of the states and events and hooking them into KSP would be the difficult part. Rigging a humanoid isn't all that hard* because there are so many resources and tools made specifically for that purpose.

* By isn't all that hard I mean still really hard, just maybe not as bad as it could be if you are just considering making everything from scratch.

1 hour ago, regex said:

Do you have a [citation] for this? As I understood it the Kerbals and their animations are some sort of protected asset, and replacing them would be incredibly tough and/or require violating the EULA in some fashion. Because if it is a thing I'm very surprised no one from the RO group has been heavily campaigning and recruiting for this to happen.

I don't know anything specific either, but just looking at the Kerbal classes (Kerbal, KerbalEVA, KerbalAnimationManager, KerbalExpressionAI, kerbalExpressionSystem), they all are all public and basically every method is virtual, so it looks like they are designed to be overwritten by something else if someone wants to do so. It would be a ton of work, but if someone really wants to look into it's probably possible.

Edited by DMagic

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

I'm guessing that actually setting up all of the states and events and hooking them into KSP would be the difficult part. Rigging a humanoid isn't all that hard* because there are so many resources and tools made specifically for that purpose.

* By isn't all that hard I mean still really hard, just maybe not as bad as it could be if you are just considering making everything from scratch.

I don't know anything specific either, but just looking at the Kerbal classes (Kerbal, KerbalEVA, KerbalAnimationManager, KerbalExpressionAI, kerbalExpressionSystem), they all are all public and basically every method is virtual, so it looks like they are designed to be overwritten by something else if someone wants to do so. It would be a ton of work, but if someone really wants to look into it's probably possible.

It was mentioned in modders notes for 1.2.
As DMagic says. The classes are public and virtual. There is nothing stopping a mod from doing what you suggesting except for the hours/weeks/months of free work required.

49 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

It was mentioned in modders notes for 1.2.
As DMagic says. The classes are public and virtual. There is nothing stopping a mod from doing what you suggesting except for the hours/weeks/months of free work required.

Ah, new in 1.2. I have not been very active following all the minor details since 1.1.3 (the version I still play RO on)

I assume that code would be relatively stable so if someone were to put in all that work an update would not require it to all be done again, just recompiles of course and minor adjustments?

I know that human models are one thing that RO users have been wanting for years.

Good to see. Maybe in a year or two...

5 hours ago, regex said:

I was going to use the classic "NathanKell told me so" citation but I see jplrepo was kind enough to chime in. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.