Delta-V Race to Laythe in an SSTO

6 hours ago, herbal space program said:

Really? You're scoring me only on how much dV I had on LKO and not how much I actually used to get Laythe and back?  I took considerable pains in my album to show that I only used 3390m/s of the 4966 I had on LKO to finish the mission. You can see that when I am back on the ground on Kerbin, I still have 1,924 LF on board.  Are you really going to penalize me 1.584m/s just because I hauled it all the way to Laythe and back without using it? Please reconsider. I spent a crazy amount of time planning, flying and documenting this mission, sparing every m/s I could in all sorts of ways, and scoring me just on what I had in the tank on LKO and not what I actually used trivializes that large effort. Launching with less fuel would actually have made the mission easier not harder because I would have had a better TWR for my orbital maneuvers.

Okay...

3 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@PLAD So, what would the escape dV be (per vector) at that window? Also, I want to use it for Eeloo.

Depart Kerbin y2 d155 h2, from a 75x75km equatorial Kerbin orbit, with a v prograde of 1037m/s and a vz of -460m/s. If you depart on Y2 d163 instead it is vP of 1040 and vz of -482m/s. If you have Mechjeb installed then get Okder's addon and it can guide you from launch to the trans-Eve injection burn.

In any case you should flyby Eve (periapsis) as close to y2 d353 h3 m40 as you can, about a +/-6 hour error is the most you should tolerate. I don't know how many flybys you've flown before, if it's not many you should study a run or two.

I never get to Jool at exactly y8 d299, I'm often off by something like 30 days thanks to little errors adding up. However, it should be possible to go on from Jool to Eeloo, nominal would be going Jool y8 d299 - Ee y9 d285. Jool flyby altitude should be very roughly 300,000 km. The dv required to brake into low Eeloo orbit will be around 2000m/s.

If you have Flyby Finder you can enter the rough flyby dates from above into it and it will give you the rest of the info. Good luck!

• 4 years later...

I've got a video that would be pretty good for this challenge.

First lap:
9805 delta-v in LKO
Laythe outbound route: Kerbin-Mun-Mun-Minmus-Mun-Kerbin-Mun-Eve-Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin-Laythe-Tylo-Laythe
Laythe return route: Laythe-Tylo-Laythe-Laythe-Kerbin
7503 delta-v on Kerbin surface
Delta-v used: 2302 m/s

Second lap:
6190 delta-v in LKO
Laythe outbound route: Kerbin-Mun-Mun-Mun-Kerbin-Mun-Kerbin-Mun-Eve-Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin-Laythe
Laythe return route: Laythe-Tylo-Laythe-Laythe-Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin
3878 delta-v on Kerbin surface
Delta-v used: 2312 m/s

Third lap: (Less efficient because I had fuel to spare)
2611 delta-v in LKO
Laythe outbound route: Kerbin-Mun-Mun-[DSM]-Mun-Kerbin-Mun-Eve-Kerbin-Mun-Eve-Kerbin-Kerbin-Tylo-Laythe-Tylo-Laythe
Laythe return route: Laythe-Tylo-[DSM]-Tylo-Kerbin
134 delta-v on Kerbin surface
Delta-v used: 2477 m/s

Edit: Oops I didn't see the requirement for crew. But that seems like a pretty arbitrary requirement, as the necessary delta-v doesn't depend on payload. All I'd need to do is scale the craft up in order to be able to do this same mission, or replace some of the fuel with cargo.

Edited by camacju

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.