I feel offended

Regor

Its fun. Gives a basic understanding of orbital mechanics and so on. but as ZooNamedGames said, real life is a lot harder. For example, in KSP, you can get away with alot of aerodynamic no-nos (such as making a rover fly.)

19 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Its fun. Gives a basic understanding of orbital mechanics and so on. but as ZooNamedGames said, real life is a lot harder. For example, in KSP, you can get away with alot of aerodynamic no-nos (such as making a rover fly.)

Ahem. (N-Body Physics) ahem

Just now, mabdi36 said:

Ahem. (Joolian System so destructive),(moon on perfect inclination), (no axial tilt), (KSC on equator, making stuff easier) ahem

Ok fine, it has a lot of stuff to balance for gameplay. I get your point. Why not include stupidly powerful jet engines, Ion engines with lot higher thrust, and relatively tiny distances between stuff?

Just now, qzgy said:

Ok fine, it has a lot of stuff to balance for gameplay. I get your point. Why not include stupidly powerful jet engines, Ion engines with lot higher thrust, and relatively tiny distances between stuff?

Heh. This is turning into a rant.

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not to be pedantic, but playing KSP doesn't actually involve much rocket science per se.

The rocket equation, plenty of orbital mechanic, but not much engineering. The engineering is the hard part, not the science. 

For a game, it is a healthy balance. If it were any harder, many of us would not have the love of the game. It took me three days to figure out how to get into orbit - and I never watched tutorials to do it. It took me two weeks to figure out rendezvous and docking...

And let me tell you, at one point, my wife stuck a post it note to the computer monitor that read, "The results of this game has been rated R for extreme language and intense situations..."

When hanging out in the Minecraft Forum, someone told me spaceflight simulators are not that realistic. I was talking about the RSS/RO level of things by the way.

[Insert Random Tumblr Post Here]

Sorry, that was too relevant for this thread.

Although, I do tend to become slightly peeved when people say that KSP doesn't teach Rocket science. While it may not be the entire run of Aerospace Engineering, there are mods that can give people the ability to make things way more interesting. KSP, at the very least, teaches Aerodynamics and Orbital mechanics. These fall under the category "Rocket Science."

Enjoy the proof below:

Because Both "Aerodynamics" and "Orbital Mechanics" are subsets of "Rocket Science," KSP can be said to teach "Rocket Science." QED.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

Catch is, KSP introduces the basics of aeronautics. KSP is a grain of rice compared to the real stuff. It gives you a taste of what aerospace engineering and astrophysics is like without the majority of what makes it really complicated.

RSS/RO also takes it a step further to give you a bit more of the real stuff, but I think KSP in RSS/RO is more than a grain of rice, but yeah. Real life is more.

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.