What file or .dll do I need to remove to stop the game from auto updating?

andreasblom

As we all know with the taketwo acquiring ksp, many of us are concerned based on their past action that they'll ruin the game. To prevent this or to preserve a copy of the game before any of their predicted shenanigans what files must be removed in order to prevent it from updating?

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

If you have a Steam copy, just copy the folder to another location.  KSP currently has no DRM, so you can copy the folder to your hearts content. 

see, the thing is I did that but I am fairly sure I had it on version 1.2.2 and now it's 1.3 so I am a bit confused to say the least

8 minutes ago, andreasblom said:

see, the thing is I did that but I am fairly sure I had it on version 1.2.2 and now it's 1.3 so I am a bit confused to say the least

I actually use the website and download the zip.  Someone with more knowledge about the Steam version may need to answer.

2 hours ago, andreasblom said:

If that's the case, it means it was already updated to 1.3 before you copied.

Once you copy KSP to some alternate location that's not where Steam lives, there's simply no way for Steam to auto-update it, because it doesn't know about it.  Works like a charm.

Bear in mind that if you launch the game via the Steam interface, it's going to be using the main install location, not your copy, so you'll be getting that.  Once you've copied the game to a separate folder, you need to launch it by just clicking on the .exe file in the folder, not via Steam.

Yeah I have a games folder on my desktop for non steam stuff, gog and the like 

5 hours ago, Snark said:

If that's the case, it means it was already updated to 1.3 before you copied.

Once you copy KSP to some alternate location that's not where Steam lives, there's simply no way for Steam to auto-update it, because it doesn't know about it.  Works like a charm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.