Can I recover a Surface Scanner M700 and keep the data?

I believe the M700 does not work like most science parts.  There is no experimental data to transmit or recover manually... it just generates a little science bonus when it does its scan thing.  So I don't think you'll get any extra science for recovering it, but as you said you will get some cash. You can also use the same scanner to scan multiple bodies, if you have enough fuel left.  

And scans are permanent. You only have to do one scan, ever, on each CB. After that, you can always go into the Tracking Station to turn the color overlay back on again. You do not have to keep the M700 around.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: All data is saved on a craft before being recovered or transmitted as long as it isn't the same data. So if you recover the craft, The data is recovered with it too. As long as it is landed somewhere on Kerbin, you should be able to recover it and get the precious science out of it.

Edit: After quick afterthought, You might not unless you have a probe body or a science experiment box with Graham cracker crumbs left over. 

Edited by Virdin
I have been misinformed.

9 hours ago, bewing said:

And scans are permanent. You only have to do one scan, ever, on each CB. After that, you can always go into the Tracking Station to turn the color overlay back on again. You do not have to keep the M700 around.

Soo, I can use just one M700 Sattelite to scan all bodies? Once a body has been scanned the data is always available in the Tracking station? 

6 hours ago, bewing said:

If you can manage to build a rocketship that will travel to every single body, then yes.

Given the fact no landing is necessary and also the possibility of refuelling (maybe also ISRU),  the task is possible (even easy) 

If that is practical/efficient/convenient is the question to consider. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 3:31 PM, Spricigo said:

Given the fact no landing is necessary and also the possibility of refuelling (maybe also ISRU),  the task is possible (even easy) 

If that is practical/efficient/convenient is the question to consider. 

Good luck with the ISRU before you've found the ore to mine!

28 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

If you build a Scanship with around 2-3k onboard deltaV you have a realistic permanent Hopper for vanila. You can use asteroids for refuel or land on a small moons for this task. A scan/transfer engine/ refining section for orbital use and a mobile mining lander and you can stay permanent in space. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

37 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

How about finding Ore in one celestial body, setup ISRU there and use it to refuel the vessel that will visitt the other bodies? Or just land a mining vessel to random location until you get some ore?

Edited by Spricigo
edit: also the above post

On 27.6.2017 at 5:28 PM, felcas said:

Soo, I can use just one M700 Sattelite to scan all bodies? Once a body has been scanned the data is always available in the Tracking station? 

I tend to do that, Launch into Kerbin polar orbit, do an burn to get an Mun intercept for polar Moon orbit, then of to Minmus and do the final scan and it end up as an relay. 

On 12/07/2017 at 6:55 PM, magnemoe said:

I tend to do that, Launch into Kerbin polar orbit, do an burn to get an Mun intercept for polar Moon orbit, then of to Minmus and do the final scan and it end up as an relay. 

yes but, once you leave  kerbin and park on mun orbit, can you still check for data on kerbin?
Anyway now I think this is kind of redundant because it is not expensive to launch one M700 for each celestial body and looks cool on the mission control.

As a hint.

Some of modes. Like USI for example reuse the M700 after primary scan.

USI enables you to scan for lodes aftrewards.

Or for stock i tend to use them as secondary ComSat in highly excentrical polar orbit after the first use for scan.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Edited by Urses

8 hours ago, felcas said:

yes but, once you leave  kerbin and park on mun orbit, can you still check for data on kerbin?
Anyway now I think this is kind of redundant because it is not expensive to launch one M700 for each celestial body and looks cool on the mission control.

You can the scan data is persistent and don't change. 
However the 5 moons of jool its nice to do with one scanner. You could combine with an relay but that would fast become an relay with scan abilities. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.