Resource limits in VAB/SPH

VenDei

Hello, is there a way to keep users from filling a tank with resource in VAB/SPH? To the effect that a player can not just put in a tankfull of a resource by pulling a slider in the VAB/SPH.

In the same vein, is there a way to limit filling up a resource in VAB/SPH, based on a daily production rate and a maximum storage capacity at KSC?

Where I want to go with these questions is this:

• With "scarce" (or what I think what ought to be scarce) resources, I can just pop an unlimited supply into existence by building vessels at home as if it was water from the coast off the KSC. Which kind of defeats the purpose of making an ultra-rare resource that only can be found at hard-to-get-to places and must be refined with some effort. I'd like to change that, so that for the Unobtanium of my choice, I have to put in some more effort.
  • The other item is that even common resources are limited. There are only so many storage tanks around the KSC for Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer, Monoprop, and once they are empty, they'd probably need some time to be filled up again. There is right now no real point to mining on the Mun or Minmus for space-gasstations, because I can better get any amount of fuels right at home and deliver them to orbit from KSC - provided I have the funds, but they are pretty abundant right, left and center. I want to create a situation where money can't buy everything, and a certain degree of efficiency has to be maintained - or some meaningful ISRU at home.

7 minutes ago, VenDei said:

Hello, is there a way to keep users from filling a tank with resource in VAB/SPH? To the effect that a player can not just put in a tankfull of a resource by pulling a slider in the VAB/SPH.

In the same vein, is there a way to limit filling up a resource in VAB/SPH, based on a daily production rate and a maximum storage capacity at KSC?

1.) Yes, that's stock. In the RESOURCE_DEFINITION config for this new resource, set isTweakable = false. For existing resources, a Module Manager patch can make it so.

2.) Not in stock KSP. You need a plugin for that. @Nertea wrote something along those lines for his (very WIP) Far Future Tech project, in which there is a new facility at KSC that slowly produces antimatter. The resource is then loaded via a custom UI while the vessel is on the pad (I believe).

1) Stock... yeah, well, I completely overlooked that, thank you!

2) Interesting, I'll have a look. That would be quite the gem, maybe I'll learn modding KSP just for adding another intended way of not going to space today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.