Help needed editing a save file

I need some help editing a save file. I have a game where the docking ports are not working. So i removed all unnecessary mods, launched a new pair of vessels and the docking ports work on this pair. I then deleted all unnecessary craft from the save. So now I have a minimal save file, which uses minimal mods. The docking ports on the original pair of craft are still not working.

So I need to do the following:

1. edit the save file to fix this pair of craft 

2. figure out what the original game cause this to happen.

Is there someone who can help me look at the save file to figure out what is broken in these craft?  Once I know what is broken, I should be able to figure out what mod is causing this to break in my main game.

Thank you in advance

Look for ModuleDockingNode's and look at the state.

In line 203313, you have a Docking node that is in state "PreAttached":

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleDockingNode
  isEnabled = True
  crossfeed = True
  stagingEnabled = False
  state = PreAttached
  dockUId = 0
  dockNodeIdx = 0
}

I'm not entirely sure what "PreAttached" is, but ports should be in the state "Ready" when they are not docked and not doing anything.

If that doesn't work, try to change the dockUId to 0 in for the last 2 ports (line 216439 and 219098).

ps.: Please quote or tag me to make sure I receive a notification, so you get an answer :wink:

Edited by Kobymaru

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleDockingNode
  isEnabled = True
  crossfeed = True
  stagingEnabled = False
  state = PreAttached
  dockUId = 0
  dockNodeIdx = 0
}

I'm not entirely sure what "PreAttached" is, but ports should be in the state "Ready" when they are not docked and not doing anything.

If that doesn't work, try to change the dockUId to 0 in for the last 2 ports (line 216439 and 219098).

ps.: Please quote or tag me to make sure I receive a notification, so you get an answer :wink:

Thanks, I'll try it this evening.  And then try to figure out why it happened.  The original game has about 220 mod installed, will be fun finding the culprit

20 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleDockingNode
  isEnabled = True
  crossfeed = True
  stagingEnabled = False
  state = PreAttached
  dockUId = 0
  dockNodeIdx = 0
}

Nope.  After a number of tries, I simply changed it to ready, went into the game, went to the ships and without doing anything, saved the game.  The state was set back to PreAttached

32 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nope.  After a number of tries, I simply changed it to ready, went into the game, went to the ships and without doing anything, saved the game.  The state was set back to PreAttached

Looking at KOs documentation: https://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS/structures/vessels/dockingport.html#attribute:DOCKINGPORT:STATE

PreAttached
Temporary state during the “wobbling” while two ports are magnetically touching but not yet docked solidly. During this state the two vessels are still tracked as separate vessels and haven’t become one yet.

It might even be "correct" when you get close and magnetic forces set in, but for some reason the docking won't complete.

Edited by Kobymaru

48 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

It might even be "correct" when you get close and magnetic forces set in, but for some reason the docking won't complete.

But the other doking port should as well have the state PreAttached, and I guess dockUId schould be available if the docking port has PreAttached state.

11 minutes ago, jonny said:

But the other doking port should as well have the state PreAttached, and I guess dockUId schould be available if the docking port has PreAttached state.

You are right. In my save file, I had a few PreAttached ones, but all of them had a non-zero dockUId value. In linuxgurugamer s save file, the dockUId value is zero.

linuxgurugamer has already mentioned:

On 27.6.2017 at 2:21 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Once I know what is broken, I should be able to figure out what mod is causing this to break in my main game.

So it's probably one of those mods that breaks it.

@linuxgurugamer I loadet your save file into KML. It just looks like a simple desingn flaw of your vessel, and there is nothing to repair: the docking port is attached to a interstage node of the fairing. We can see this ingame aswell:

Ao6z5qs.png
The decoupler is only attached to the probe and not to the fairing

5kr5Y18.png
The decouple Node option is available

NeLn4rZ.png
9NMGOiG.png

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Looking at KOs documentation: https://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS/structures/vessels/dockingport.html#attribute:DOCKINGPORT:STATE

PreAttached
Temporary state during the “wobbling” while two ports are magnetically touching but not yet docked solidly. During this state the two vessels are still tracked as separate vessels and haven’t become one yet.

Edited 3 hours ago by Kobymaru

Or if the Docking port is attached, but not to a other docking port.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.