corrupted ship

hi,

this is the second time it happens: when I try to load a saved ship, the list is empty.
so I removed the corrupted file but can someone please explain me what was wrong with this ship?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eotosmmzwjtdvai/jool system survey sat relay and landers.craft?dl=0

alt+f4 to close ksp could corrupt files?
Edited by antipro

Why are you using alt+f4? If you force close the program like that, something is bound to happen. All I can say is remake the craft and stop force-closing the game. Go back to the main menu.

5 hours ago, antipro said:

this is the second time it happens: when I try to load a saved ship, the list is empty.
so I removed the corrupted file but can someone please explain me what was wrong with this ship?

I'm not sure I (or others) can help you from this point.  The problem is you adjusted the game files trying to fix it yourself.  I do the same thing, but what happens from here is there can be no assumptions made about what should have been.

Your concern is unusual, to the point of strange.  If you *ever* run into this again, please immediately .zip your game folder so there is a baseline save that can be worked from.

Right now... all anyone can do is guess.  With that baseline save a number of modders and devs would try to figure out what happened if you provided it.  Unfortunately, it seems like the data and game have moved past where an answer could be definitively provided.

20 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

I'm not sure I (or others) can help you from this point.  The problem is you adjusted the game files trying to fix it yourself.  I do the same thing, but what happens from here is there can be no assumptions made about what should have been.

Your concern is unusual, to the point of strange.  If you *ever* run into this again, please immediately .zip your game folder so there is a baseline save that can be worked from.

Right now... all anyone can do is guess.  With that baseline save a number of modders and devs would try to figure out what happened if you provided it.  Unfortunately, it seems like the data and game have moved past where an answer could be definitively provided.

But what's interesting, somewhat perversely, is that his craft file kills the loading of all ships when I transfer it to my own game save - it kills VAB and SPH when copied into those folders and kills it when put in individually in  the saved game ships folder and also the stock ships folder. So the issue lies within the craft file itself - but I gave up given the ship size. 

One question would be when/where did @antipro Alt-F4 ,while in VAB view ? I Alt-F4 from the intermediate menu (Valentina) and nothing bad has ever happened.

2 minutes ago, Weywot8 said:

But what's interesting, somewhat perversely, is that his craft file kills the loading of all ships when I transfer it to my own game save - it kills VAB and SPH when copied into those folders and kills it when put in individually in  the saved game ships folder and also the stock ships folder. So the issue lies within the craft file itself - but I gave up given the ship size.

I don't disagree.  For note: It does it to my 1.2.2 too (assuming everyone else has moved to 1.3).  My concern is how the file was generated. (Side note: I'm pretty heavily modded right now).

There's just a lot of variables that can be removed if the full save is available, including: "So, is your drive making funny noises?" type problems.  I may have jumped the gun, though, trying to help the OP help us to remove the random failures.

ok, just to clarify: I never use alt+f4 for anything if isn't necessary, I was just asking that cause it can happens, if you do not have an UPS, blackout can occour when lightning storms, or you just reach 3kw.
I do not remember what and when I did it in this case, I was probably fall asleep in front of the computer and when I waked up I had no force to do the correct turn off procedure, I've just pressed the pc case power button and then landed on the bed.

anyway, do I have to provide the loadmeta file?

I routinely use alt+F4 to quit KSP. I do it all the time, it's basically the only way I ever exit the game. And I've never had a problem with it, not once in three years of playing KSP.  I exit this way from KSC view, and from inside KSC buildings such as the VAB.  It's more rare that I'll do it from flight view, mainly because I don't want my current state-of-the-world to be lost since my last save or auto-save, but I've done it plenty of times there, too, with no issues ever.

So I suspect that alt+F4 concerns here are likely to be a red herring.

For the record, I don't make a practice of exiting programs in general via alt+F4, since it's not a good idea.  That's an easy way to get things into an inconsistent state, and can give software a tummyache, depending on how it's written. So to be clear, I'm not advocating alt+F4 as a common general practice. KSP is basically the only program where I do this as a matter of course.

I do it in KSP for two main reasons:

First, the game is designed in a way that I've found to be very alt+F4 tolerant. It stores ships in single monolithic files that are read and written all at once, in momentary bursts, and not touched except when loading or saving, which is brief and synchronous. Ditto the save-game itself. There's no program state that depends on multiple different files that have to have some mutually consistent state. There are no important files that are continuously "streamed", or held open for long periods while the game plays. It's basically alt+F4 proof, as far as I can tell.

The other reason is that KSP has a game design that strongly encourages me to use alt+F4.  I love this game, and I love most of its design... but I gotta say that I've always found it to be incredibly tedious and frustrating to exit. I have to navigate through umpteen menus and mouse clicks, many of which have forced pauses of multiple seconds while the game locks up as it loads stuff.  I'm a generally very patient person, but I've got very little patience for roadblocks to exiting a program.  That needs to be quick, safe, and simple.  I'm happy granting a game (or any software program) all the time it needs to load, but for me there's just no excuse for making it hard to get out. It should be, at most, a single mouse click and a couple of keystrokes away, at all times, with zero waiting. KSP fails miserably in this regard, despite its nice design otherwise.

So, as far as I'm concerned... hello, alt+F4, my friend. :wink:

34 minutes ago, antipro said:

I never use alt+f4 for anything if isn't necessary

Yep, and that's a good practice.  But for KSP, I think alt+F4 is okay.

34 minutes ago, antipro said:

anyway, do I have to provide the loadmeta file?

I believe not.  That's just a cache file that's designed to improve loading times.  The way the game is written, if the loadmeta file isn't there, the menu is slower to open up (because the game has to rummage through a lot of slow-to-read files), and then creates the loadmeta file for you.  That way, on subsequent executions, the game can just read the loadmeta instead and is a lot faster to pop up the menu.  I believe that the game has a quick/cheap way to know "is this loadmeta up-to-date with the state of the file it's generated from", so that it knows when to re-generate the loadmeta, so I don't think you need to worry about the loadmeta being "corrupt" in some fashion.  However, if there's any concern there at all, just delete the loadmeta files-- they're not needed, the game will re-create them as necessary.

very well explained and very funny, expecially this part that I'm agree with:

41 minutes ago, Snark said:

The other reason is that KSP has a game design that strongly encourages me to use alt+F4.  I love this game, and I love most of its design... but I gotta say that I've always found it to be incredibly tedious and frustrating to exit. I have to navigate through umpteen menus and mouse clicks, many of which have forced pauses of multiple seconds while the game locks up as it loads stuff.  I'm a generally very patient person, but I've got very little patience for roadblocks to exiting a program.  That needs to be quick, safe, and simple.  I'm happy granting a game (or any software program) all the time it needs to load, but for me there's just no excuse for making it hard to get out. It should be, at most, a single mouse click and a couple of keystrokes away, at all times, with zero waiting. KSP fails miserably in this regard, despite its nice design otherwise.

btw, I now know what loadmeta file is, thx!
but I meant .sfs files, not loadmeta, sry...my error, I mean sfs cause WanderingKid was asking for "fullsave file/game folder"... nevermind.

I've already rebuilt the ship.
thx all!

Edited by antipro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.