[WIP] [1.3] Realistic(ish) Stock Planet Overhaul (Development Thread)

Andi K.

Just now, FreeThinker said:

As long as you think they are good enough,  don't see any reasons why not. I think in this mod you could truly flex you planet building skills and create all extreme/bizarre world you fantasised about but were afraid of adding to an RSS extension mod. In this mod, there should be no longer any constraints allowing you to create worlds we see in sci-fy comics/movies/games. 

I see. I think I'll probably sprinkle in some of RSS Constellations' exoplanets. I might make Tau Ceti f from RSS Constellations a moon of Kyn (obviously I'll rename it) or make Wolf 1061 b the carbon planet that orbits the companion star, etc. etc.

I think I will try to create some more bizarre planets and moons, though I want them to be somewhat rooted in reality, such as diamond planets, planets with a global bioluminescent forests, and so on. The idea is that this will be "Realistic(ish)."

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah I'm aware of it. According to @Galileo, removing FlightGlobalsIndex from the planet configs was supposed to fix that, but it does actually seem like it has done anything. For now, just don't accept the contracts that you can't complete and wait until you get the technology to do so.

It does fix it. 

36 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It does fix it. 

Well according to @KerbolExplorer, he gets a contract to flyby Smito unusually early and I don't have FlightGlobalsIndex anywhere in this mod.

Does that mean that the "normal progression" is supposed to be Orbit homeworld --> flyby another planet?

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Well according to @KerbolExplorer, he gets a contract to flyby Smito unusually early and I don't have FlightGlobalsIndex anywhere in this mod.

Does that mean that the "normal progression" is supposed to be Orbit homeworld --> flyby another planet?

No, but have you tried troubleshooting with him? Does he have the latest version? Another planet pack that has GFI? I have been test/playing multiple careers in GPP (had the same issue) without gfi and have had perfect contract progression. I also tested with gameslinx pack too (also had the issue) with perfect success. So, either something he is doing is causing it or there is something different about your cfgs.

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

the other mods are kerbalisim and ven stock revamp.and the early contracts are explore smito and take some scientific data of smito

Remove all mods and just run this pack. Clear you mm cache, the planet caches. Start a fresh career and see if it happens again.

Edited by Galileo

@KerbolExplorer Yeah I quickly created a career save, tested it out, and I'm getting the same thing as you. Seeing as the contracts for Smito last very long after accepting them (nearly 5 years) you can accept the contracts and by the time 5 years pass, you'll have the technology to get to Smito. That is weird that it shows contracts for Smito before contracts for Lica. Not sure why it is doing that :/

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have already found a few issues with the cfgs. I'll make a pull request when i get a chance and im able to edit them

Well what are the issues? I might be able to just fix them myself.

3 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Well what are the issues? I might be able to just fix them myself.

Its a little much too type out here. Im in class until 10 (another 3 hours or so) this evening and i can't really do much until at least then

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

To everyone: There is an update for RSPO posted on GitHub and SpaceDock if you wanna try it out. It mostly adds Yunna, a desert planet, and Jalva, a Kaia-like ice-moon of Reyn.

JALVA, ICE MOON OF REYN:

sQHDCWH.png?1

YUNNA, DESERT WORLD AND SECOND PLANET FROM SUL:

A3NtNpZ.png?1

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

6 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I see you understood my joke :P

I hope others understand the reference - assuming we think of the same thing :wink:

Edit:

This mod definitely looks like a good one to try out. The visuals look amazing and I'll totally be recommending this overhaul in the future as it develops. It certainly looks a whole lot better than my early escapades to say the least :P

Then again, I am a bit biased towards the 'overhaul' aspect... I wonder why...

Edited by Gameslinx

17 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I see you understood my joke :P

I hope others understand the reference - assuming we think of the same thing :wink:

Edit:

This mod definitely looks like a good one to try out. The visuals look amazing and I'll totally be recommending this overhaul in the future as it develops. It certainly looks a whole lot better than my early escapades to say the least :P

Then again, I am a bit biased towards the 'overhaul' aspect... I wonder why...

Thanks for those comments! A nice ego boost doesn't hurt anyone... :P

Honestly, It's not extremely difficult to make nice looking planets for KSP in my opinion, you just kind of have to ask a bunch of people how to do stuff when you start off and be willing to spend a lot of your time. I honestly have a lot more respect for people who make complex parts packs, because there is just a whole other layer to making parts.

Big fan of your planet pack by the way. :wink:

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Big fan of your planet pack by the way. :wink:

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

KAIA

I could tell :P

Cheers though. I still consider myself am amateur maker though - although I think the planets in my own mod looks alright I spend way too long on them. Around 15 hours on the atmospherics. Which isn't a bad thing, but I know they can be better!

4 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Around 15 hours on the atmospherics. Which isn't a bad thing, but I know they can be better!

I hear you brother.

@Gameslinx By the way, I didn't actually derive the name from Gaia in your mod. I was deriving from Gaia in real life, you know, the alternative name for Earth. I could've done Kaea (which looks cooler) by it sounds too much like Gael.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

19 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

This looks even better than before! All the new stuff that was added since I first looked at it. :D How stable is it?

Should be relatively stable. It's just that there isn't much else besides the planets themselves.

Some file references in the new download still point to APPO:
GameData\RSPO\CelestialBodies\Kaia\Kaia.cfg
GameData\RSPO\Configs\Kopernicus.cfg
GameData\RSPO\Configs\Objects.cfg
GameData\RSPO\Configs\RSPO_ScattererPlanetList.cfg

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Some file references in the new download still point to APPO:
GameData\RSPO\CelestialBodies\Kaia\Kaia.cfg
GameData\RSPO\Configs\Kopernicus.cfg
GameData\RSPO\Configs\Objects.cfg
GameData\RSPO\Configs\RSPO_ScattererPlanetList.cfg

Ah yes I see that. It didn't cause any problems while I was testing, but I'll make sure to change it just in case. Thanks for pointing that one out.