[WIP] [1.3] Realistic(ish) Stock Planet Overhaul (Development Thread)

Andi K.

Realistic(ish) Stock Planet Overhaul

THIS MOD IS DEAD!

Version 0.2.0

So I kind of got bored of creating exoplanets for RSS so I've decided to create a completely different planet pack that does something I've never done before, replace the stock solar system!

This is a very work-in-progress mod, so the planets and moons are very limited. This is simply a thread to discuss what types of planets and other features that will be in this mod. If you've created a handy patch for my Pretty Planets that does this, that, or the other, send it over to me or put it on GitHub and I'll implement into the mod and put you in the credits once I actually release this thing.

Here are some screenshots to show how development is going so far:

KAIA, THE NEW KERBAL HOMEOWORLD:

9hHUTi3.png?1

REYN, AN EXOTIC HELIUM GAS GIANT:

scpsKQ6.png

YUNNA, AN ARID DESERT WORLD:

A3NtNpZ.png?1

MORE SCREENSHOTS

or
Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Just now, Spaceception said:

Cool! Stock sized, or RSS?

Stock sized. It is supposed to replace the stock solar system. So, Kaia, the home planet, is 637 km in radius with an atmospheric pressure of 1 atm, 1 gee of gravity, etc etc...

Maybe add in a hellish planet like Kepler-78b, really close to the star with rivers and lakes of magma, and maybe a giant volcano, created due to tidal stress on the planet from the star?

And maybe a habitable planet with a bit of a twist to it, like a super-dense Venus-like atmosphere and have it orbiting at a distance which makes it habitable (~5 Kerbal AU), of course!

I never word suggestions well XD

48 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

MORE SCREENSHOTS also links to the GitHub repo.

I really would like to see the additional screenshots.

Oh sorry my mistake haha. I guess I went a little too trigger happy with copy and paste.

6 hours ago, electricpants said:

Maybe add in a hellish planet like Kepler-78b, really close to the star with rivers and lakes of magma, and maybe a giant volcano, created due to tidal stress on the planet from the star?

And maybe a habitable planet with a bit of a twist to it, like a super-dense Venus-like atmosphere and have it orbiting at a distance which makes it habitable (~5 Kerbal AU), of course!

I never word suggestions well XD

I already have a lava world in there, you'll see it when I fix the "more screenshots" link.

It does not mean it's your fault, because "Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc" is a bit weird...

btw do you plan to implement Principia later? When Principia is "done" or at least ready for 1.3 ? -> axial tilt

I highly appreciate that visuals are already included - not like in other planet packs.

I don't use scatterer normally (either bugged or outdated, but always a performance killer).
But I guess I will try.
With only EVE I got 60 fps in SPC AND clouds... whooh!

Edited by Gordon Dry

What could be the reason for this?

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: CONTRACT_TYPE 'SpaceStation': Error parsing targetBody1

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.CelestialBodyParser.CheckTree (KSPAchievements.CelestialBodySubtree tree, ProgressItem pi) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.CelestialBodyParser+<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<BodiesForItem>b__0 (KSPAchievements.CelestialBodySubtree node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[KSPAchievements.CelestialBodySubtree].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[KSPAchievements.CelestialBodySubtree,CelestialBody].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[CelestialBody].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[CelestialBody] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.CelestialBodyParser+<>c.<RegisterMethods>b__6_43 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Function`1[System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody]].Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Function`1[System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody]].Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[CelestialBody].ParseMethod[CelestialBody] (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token, .CelestialBody obj, Boolean isFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
Error occurred near '*':
ReturnedFromBodies().Where(body => @/stations.Where(v => v.CelestialBody() == body).Count() == 0).SelectUnique()
....................* <-- HERE
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ExecuteExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[CelestialBody] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[CelestialBody] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[CelestialBody] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Action`1 setter, IContractConfiguratorFactory obj, .CelestialBody defaultValue, System.Func`2 validation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, CelestialBody, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.DeferredLoadUtil:ExecuteLoad(DeferredLoadObject`1)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
ContractConfigurator.<UpdateNonDeterministicValuesIterator>d__30:MoveNext()
System.Linq.<CreateConcatIterator>c__Iterator1`1:MoveNext()
System.Linq.<CreateConcatIterator>c__Iterator1`1:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<GenerateContract>d__33:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<ContractEnumerator>d__32:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.ContractPreLoader:Update()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I got the following ContractPacks installed:
SoundingRockets
CEContracts
FieldResearch
CommNetRelays

Several files got the phrase "targetBody1" in them:
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayCoMoon.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayHomeworldLagrange.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayHomeworldParentLagrange.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayInnerPlanet.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayOuterPlanet.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayOuterPlanetHighOrbit.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CEContracts\Contracts\10-SpaceStationsLS\SS_USI_LifeSupport.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CEContracts\Contracts\10-SpaceStationsLS\SS_TAC_Kerbalism_LifeSupport.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CEContracts\Contracts\10-SpaceStationsLS\SS_Snacks_LifeSupport.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CEContracts\Contracts\10-SpaceStationsLS\SS_IFI_LifeSupport.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CEContracts\Contracts\10-SpaceStations.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\FieldResearch\ClimateStudy.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\CommNetRelays\CommNetRelayMoon.cfg
GameData\ContractPacks\FieldResearch\GeologicalStudy.cfg
and
GameData\SCANsat\Resources\Contracts\LoRes.cfg

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

What could be the reason for this?

snippety snip snip

Well seeing as I haven't yet sorted out contracts for this mod (hence, WIP) I'm guessing it is probably that. Getting some contract packs to work will be a priority, after I finish adding the main planets.

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

It does not mean it's your fault, because "Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc" is a bit weird...

btw do you plan to implement Principia later? When Principia is "done" or at least ready for 1.3 ? -> axial tilt

I highly appreciate that visuals are already included - not like in other planet packs.

I don't use scatterer normally (either bugged or outdated, but always a performance killer).
But I guess I will try.
With only EVE I got 60 fps in SPC AND clouds... whooh!

Oooh! Principia has axial tilt now? I had no idea. I will add principia compatibility in the future, which will probably involve changing some orbits so they are actually stable. I wonder if he'll make the axial tilt portion a separate mod if you don't want the extra fluff. I'm sure that would make RSS players (like myself) and many others very very happy. However, I can't find the thread for principia, it looks like it was removed. Do you know where it is?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the principia thread. I'm dumb.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Do you know what this is?

Above 70,000m: (on descent I recognized it was like that until the "reentry burning" began, so down to about 15,000m or so ...)
cILDedE.png

Above 95,000m:
kZCteNH.png

Edited by Gordon Dry

50 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Do you know what this is?

Above 70,000m: (on descent I recognized it was like that until the "reentry burning" began, so down to about 15,000m or so ...)
cILDedE.png

Above 95,000m:
kZCteNH.png

That happens in RSS Constellations, too!

Hmm. So it's the devs fault! :D

Then I guess it's something specific to the style of work from @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures in some way.

btw what is this issue called? Got it a name? I really don't know what to type into the search function or even into Google ...

8 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Hmm. So it's the devs fault! :D

;.;

I was having the same issue sometimes but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was! It might have something to do with when the scaled space is loaded/unloaded? This bug will be a number 1 priority for both RSSC and RSPO.

@Gordon Dry Can you check and see if it happens around an object without an atmosphere, like Lica?

16 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Can you check and see if it happens around an object without an atmosphere, like Lica?

I will do, actrually I fiddled with new fps breaking issues after it went so flawless yesterday:
https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/190#issuecomment-313075387

I will test with latest RLS 4 of Kopernicus again.

And btw do you plan to add a Custom Asteroids config?

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:27 AM, Gordon Dry said:

I will do, actrually I fiddled with new fps breaking issues after it went so flawless yesterday:
https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/190#issuecomment-313075387

I will test with latest RLS 4 of Kopernicus again.

And btw do you plan to add a Custom Asteroids config?

Yup, that's the plan.

6 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i think before adding new planets you sould focuse impruving the planets that there are allready in the mod

but neither way is a nice mod

Well I have a base set of planets and moons that I want to get done first, and then I'll start looking towards further refining each of the planets. As it stands, though, Kaia is basically 99.9% finished, Goil is maybe 60% finished, Smito is probably around 90% finished, and the two gas giants (Reyn and Kyn) are 100% finished.

There are two more planets that need to be finished: Yunna, a desert planet, and Ixe, a carbon planet orbiting a red dwarf which is in a binary orbit around Sul. In terms of moons, Goil will get no moons, Yunna will get 1 or 2 moons, both asteroids, Smito will probably get 1 - 3 moons, and the two gas giants will get 20 or so moons, most of them being insignificant asteroids while 3 - 5 of them will be large, significant moons that are at hydrostatic equilibrium.

3 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Well I have a base set of planets and moons that I want to get done first, and then I'll start looking towards further refining each of the planets. As it stands, though, Kaia is basically 99.9% finished, Goil is maybe 60% finished, Smito is probably around 90% finished, and the two gas giants (Reyn and Kyn) are 100% finished.

There are two more planets that need to be finished: Yunna, a desert planet, and Ixe, a carbon planet orbiting a red dwarf which is in a binary orbit around Sul. In terms of moons, Goil will get no moons, Yunna will get 1 or 2 moons, both asteroids, Smito will probably get 1 - 3 moons, and the two gas giants will get 20 or so moons, most of them being insignificant asteroids while 3 - 5 of them will be large, significant moons that are at hydrostatic equilibrium.

ok!really looking forwards to does planets

i know this is a common bug in planet packs that replaces the solar sistem.the bug is in carrer mode and its related with the contracts i just got too orbit of Kaia and they want me to go to smito.

So my cuestion is what sould i do now to continue well

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Why not take the next step, and add extra solar systems and turn it into a complete galaxy !!

I'm already sort of planning on doing this, as I am going to add a red dwarf companion to the Sular System. However, I would only be willing to create something like you were saying if I were to recycle the systems from RSS Constellations and add them in here. That is an interesting idea, though. It would definitely separate RSPO from the many, many stock system replacement mods out there. Do you think it would be okay to use the exoplanets from RSS Constellations.

6 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i know this is a common bug in planet packs that replaces the solar sistem.the bug is in carrer mode and its related with the contracts i just got too orbit of Kaia and they want me to go to smito.

So my cuestion is what sould i do now to continue well

Yeah I'm aware of it. According to @Galileo, removing FlightGlobalsIndex from the planet configs was supposed to fix that, but it does actually seem like it has done anything. For now, just don't accept the contracts that you can't complete and wait until you get the technology to do so.

7 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'm already sort of planning on doing this, as I am going to add a red dwarf companion to the Sular System. However, I would only be willing to create something like you were saying if I were to recycle the systems from RSS Constellations and add them in here. That is an interesting idea, though. It would definitely separate RSPO from the many, many stock system replacement mods out there. Do you think it would be okay to use the exoplanets from RSS Constellations.

As long as you think they are good enough,  don't see any reasons why not. I think in this mod you could truly flex you planet building skills and create all extreme/bizarre world you fantasised about but were afraid of adding to an RSS extension mod. In this mod, there should be no longer any constraints (except engine constraints) allowing you to create worlds we see in sci-fy comics/movies/games. 

Edited by FreeThinker