Zeppelin Staaken R.XVI

Zeppelin Staaken R.XVI

As you might have guessed from the title, the aircraft that im about to show you, is based on the WW1 Zeppelin Staaken bombers.

Spoiler

wQEy4cW.jpg

The one on the picture is the R.VI version. It was the one i chose to "upgrade"

The idea for this monster of a bi-plane began when i got this feeling of wanting to do something from WW1 after playing some bit of Battlefield 1.

I also wanted to build something with an actual interior. The interior idea i used first in the "Raven", witch is a specialized cargo-plane that you'll get to see very soon :wink: (Knowing me, don't get your hopes up).

In this case, i took the interior idea a bit further, and decided to make a full interior with command seats placed in all the crew positions.

The Interior works quite well, :) except for one thing. To enter the aircraft, you'll need to use the ladder to climb in to the gondola located at the belly of the aircraft.

The problem with that is, that the gondola is too tight for Kerbals to fit in :/...unless they suddenly learn how to crawl.

The crew compliment on the R.XVI is quite incredibly big:

Pilot, Co-pilot, Radio-operator, Navigator, 6 Gunners (belly x2, tail x2, wing pods x2), 2 Observers (also serve as nose-gunners) and 4 In-flight engineers (1 sitting in each engine pod). 16 crew members in total :o.

I was going to write some piece of history for this craft, but i just couldn't come up with anything good nor sensible.

Let's just say that the Kermaininan engineers wanted to create a huge bomber with the nimbleness of a heavy bomber and the massive firepower of a big airship. It was to be inpervious to air attacks because of its defensive weapons.

And could also destroy AA positions with it's two heavy machine-guns mounted on the two "gun baskets" on the belly of the aircraft.

Basically the perfect tool for bombing the big cities of the Kritish isles.

Technical specs:

Top speed: 96 m/s.

Stall speed: about 45-42 m/s.

Armaments: 6 50.cal machine-gun turrets, 2 30mm turrets and god knows how many bombs.

Length: 39.5m.

Wingspan: 62.2m.

Height: 16.4m.

Mass: 225.7 tons.

Parts: 1055.

Mods used:

Spoiler

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p2glz125rk2sy0/Zeppelin Staaken R_XVI.craft?dl=0

I hope you enjoy this little ye oldie monster of the skies :).

PS.

Spoiler

Sorry for uploading next to nothing for months. (bit of a deja vu don't you think)

I have basically lost all of my energy and enthusiasm that drove me in the first few months.

Because of that, everytime i try to get myself to upload something, i just go "ill just do it later", witch in turn has made my "to upload pile" so big that some of the stuff that i was supposed to upload months ago, are obsolite.

But don't worry, im not quitting yet :wink:, im just saying that it might take a while until i upload something again. Well, excluding the UCS replicas, i promise i will deliver those on time, so long as i have the time.

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

This is really cool, did you put stock props on it, I'm sure you could fit some in there

Nah, it uses Firespitter engines and a couple of "Goliath" engines that are pretty well hidden.

I guess it could fit some stock props, but i would have to make 8 of them. That's just way too many parts for my taste.

Plus, ive never really been into the whole stock turboshaft/turboprop idea.

Tough i could always make some static props and hide some more jet engines to make it fly under stock power.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.