Hello from Australia

Kaussie_Kockatoo

Hello from Australia! I have already landed on the Mün and I am doing regular flights there. But I have a question.

1 how do I change my username on this forum? This one is cringy.......

2 how do you post a photo into this forum? I made a download for a craft but i can’t seem to get any pictures on to it.

3 do you have any tips on making a rocket to get to Minmus. I want to build it myself so I won’t accept downloads.

26 minutes ago, ElpoDaKing said:

3 do you have any tips on making a rocket to get to Minmus. I want to build it myself so I won’t accept downloads.

Step 1: Take your Mun rocket.
Step 2: Go to Minmus.

Going to Minmus is very similar to going to the Mun. It's easier in some ways since Minmus gravity is smaller, so you will need less thrust to slow down when landing. The ejection burn is usually about 100 m/s more expensive than the Mun, and you have to mind Minmus' inclination (transferring at the ascending/descending nodes or launching to an inclined orbit).

Edited by Gaarst

Welcome to the forums!

In terms of delta-V, Minmus is actually easier than the Mun. It takes a small amount more to inject into a Minmus transfer orbit, but Minmus's much smaller gravity well means you'll find orbital and surface operations once you're there much easier.

The trick is hitting Minmus's inclination correctly and cheaply. There are a few tricks to this:

#1: Minmus's orbit crosses over the equator (where KSC is) twice per Kerbin day. Wait until KSC is at one of these points, and then launch 6 degrees north or south as appropriate, such that you end up in approximately the correct orbital plane for a trivial amount of extra ascent delta-V.

#2: If your Hohmann transfer begins near either the ascending or descending node, you can add some incination adjustment to your Hohmann transfer and largely bury the cost thanks to the law of cosines. A 100 m/sec inclination change is expensive, but a 100 m/sec inclination change plus a 900 m/sec Hohmann transfer is 905.5 m/sec.

#3: After you make the transfer: if you have an AN/DN far away from Kerbin, you're in luck; because you will have lost the vast majority of your velocity by then, it's much cheaper to change the plane of your orbit.

Overall, going to Minmus is easier for the experience KSP player, but novice players may have more trouble with it due to being a much smaller target on an inclined orbit, requiring better understanding of orbital mechanics and more precision to efficiently transfer to.

The #4 trick, which requires good timing, precision, and probably a bit of planning, would be to use a slingshot maneuver around the Mun, which has the advantage not only of a cheaper transfer outwards, but also cheaper insertion into Minmus's orbit if you do it right. I don't think I've ever quite done it that way, but I get a similar effect on missions that go from the Mun to Minmus; capture into Minmus orbit is cheaper from a Mun transfer than a Kerbin transfer.

2 hours ago, Kaussie_Kockatoo said:

Thanks everyone for the awnsers and tips!

4 I see everyone has a advertisement to their Mod/ Website underneath their comment. How do I do this?

• Click on where it says your name in the top right corner
  • Click on account settings (3rd item in drop down menu)
  • Click on signature tab (last in the list on the left
  • Set up your sig (make sure to click save when you're done)
Edited by TheRagingIrishman

• 1 month later...

Hey, I’m sorry if this is a stupid question, but on the game how do you change the size of the GUI? Because on mine it’s way too big for the screen. Also, my Monitor can support HD, so how do you make the graphics HD?

Also, how do you change your rank? As mine says “Play on the words on Aussie Cockatoo” but I want to change it. I forgot how to do it. :confused:

Edited by Kaussie_Kockatoo