World War K (Conclusion: "The Return": An introduction to The Final Stand, and The Authors Note)

DarkOwl57

World War K

A KSP Novel

(By: DarkOwl57)

30 years after the Battle of Kerbin, tensions are again rising. Across the NSK, leaders spread rumor and propaganda of war and revolution, while to the East, the Eastern Empire fights among themselves for control. Now, the remains of the NSK must fight for everything, and leave nothing to chance. With all to play for and the stage set, this will be either Kerbin's finest hour.... Or it's final defeat.

This is

Ou92nqP.png

Table of Contents

Chapter I: The Gathering Storm

Chapter 1: Calling in the Cavalry

Chapter 2: First of Many

Chapter 3: Farewell

Chapter 4: World Kouncil

Chapter 5: The Accident

Chapter 6: The Lambo

Chapter 7: The Battle of Kursk

Chapter 8: Aftermath

Chapter 9: The Promise

Chapter 10: In Veloxia

Chapter 11: Heating Up

Chapter 12: Kouncil

Chapter 13: The Meaning of Sacrifice

Chapter 14: Sorry

Chapter 15: Goodbye

Chapter 16: Lifesaver

Chapter 17: Revenge

Chapter 18: The Battle of Belfast

Chapter 19: In the West

Chapter 20: Ace

Chapter 21: Closing In

Chapter 22: The Big One

Chapter 23: The End

The Epilogues

I: Consequences

II: Back to Normal?

III: To Duna!

IV: On Duna

V: So long, Farewell, and The End

Conclusion

I & A.N.: The Return; An introduction to The Final Stand, and the Authors Note

Edited by DarkOwl57

I don't have any links to hand but this is @DarkOwl57's fourth(?) story in the series, so there's quite a bit of background to read and it's well worth reading.

@DarkOwl57 - could you put links to your other stories in your signature? Would be useful for new readers to have all the links in one place. :) 

9 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

<grabs popcorn>

<locates nearest armchair>

<rubs hands together in anticipation>

if you're getting popcorn might I suggest Orville Redenbachers Simply Salted. Not the light version; that one burns too easily

9 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Who is NSK?, @DarkOwl57? Who are the factions? 

There are 2 main factions. The United Coalition and the FFR (Forces Fighting for Revolution). The NSK has been broken up into 3 parts (Klathu, Veloxia (Or the Veloxian Republic), and the UK (United Kerbin), which is the remains of the NSK government), while the Eastern Empire (The bad guys in book 1 which wasn't uploaded and the good guys in the previous 3 books) has been broken up into 2 parts (Kerthenia and Kruola. (NOW HANG ON! *Dodges tomato* I GOT THE MAP FROM THE FIRST Fall of Kerbin EPISODE! DON'T HATE ME!!!)

2 hours ago, KSK said:

I don't have any links to hand but this is @DarkOwl57's fourth(?) story in the series, so there's quite a bit of background to read and it's well worth reading.

I counted "The Great War", so it's

1. The Great War

2. The Second Great War

3. The Battle of Kerbin

4. Civil War

5. WWK

(6. The Final Stand)*

(7. Life at the Top)*

(8. KSP: Origins)*

*- Stories in parenthesis** have not been written yet.

**- What a weird word. Parenthesis parenthesis parenthesis.... Kinda rolls off the tongue, eh?

20 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Ive read the battle of kerbin, and the second great war, and half of the civil war.

AWWWWWW THANKS! (Did you like em?)

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

if you're getting popcorn might I suggest Orville Redenbachers Simply Salted. Not the light version; that one burns too easily

There are 2 main factions. The United Coalition and the FFR (Forces Fighting for Revolution). The NSK has been broken up into 3 parts (Klathu, Veloxia (Or the Veloxian Republic), and the UK (United Kerbin), which is the remains of the NSK government), while the Eastern Empire (The bad guys in book 1 which wasn't uploaded and the good guys in the previous 3 books) has been broken up into 2 parts (Kerthenia and Kruola. (NOW HANG ON! *Dodges tomato* I GOT THE MAP FROM THE FIRST Fall of Kerbin EPISODE! DON'T HATE ME!!!)

I counted "The Great War", so it's

1. The Great War

2. The Second Great War

3. The Battle of Kerbin

4. Civil War

5. WWK

(6. The Final Stand)*

(7. Life at the Top)*

(8. KSP: Origins)*

*- Stories in parenthesis** have not been written yet.

**- What a weird word. Parenthesis parenthesis parenthesis.... Kinda rolls off the tongue, eh?

AWWWWWW THANKS! (Did you like em?)

Yep, I liked them. They are quite well written.

Just now, dundun92 said:

Yep, I liked them. They are quite well written.

Why thank you! Just for that, have a cookie. *Looks for cookie emoticon* GODDANGIT. Well.. Get yourself a cookie I guess

Oh quick status update. Chapter I (The intro) is going to have only a couple pics. Why? Because the opening scene is set in a stadium and I have no wishes to try to pack 1,000,000 kerbals into seats and get 0.00000000000000000000000000001FPS.

So I have a couple pics..

But this next scene is being a pain in the royal butt to get done. I've had 4 game crashes for the reward of only 2 pictures. And those pics were taken about 2 hours ago.. I'm seriously reconsidering putting images in this at all...

The NSK is the North States of Kerbin in my series. Sadly my series is kind of dead cause I'm a lazy ass and have been slowly working on Episode 3 of Season 4 for like 4 months. NSK is now non-existent tho and was only present in seasons 1-2? I don't even remember all of my own lore lmao

Chapter I! The intro! The first of (hopefully) many chapters to come! Hope y'all enjoy!

(Also, what the heck it's raining outside in the middle of July 4th. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?)

Chapter I

The Rising Storm

The spotlight shone brighter than ever as Twitchi went up to the stage, making the crowd roar. I thought I told the crew to dim the lights, the supreme leader thought irritably. Still though, the scene was set amazingly; The roaring crowd, the flags both hung on the wall and in the hands of millions.. It was glorious. Twitchi tapped the mic, and the audience fell silent almost instantly. When Twitchi felt that everything was perfectly quiet, he began his speech.

"Good evening," He said, bringing scattered applause and a couple cheers form the devoted fans. "Tonight, I stand before you with a heavy heart. It has come to this. The bureaucrats in Bahmuto City continuously fail to recognize us as their own. They pass laws and legislature that not only harm us, but our beautiful state. Tonight, we become one. Tonight, we shall gain the recognition and respect from our so-called 'leaders' that we deserve! Even right now, as we speak, a similar revolution is taking place to our East, showing how weak the governments of the world are.

"We must cleanse ourselves of the scum and filth in our streets, and purge the non-believers from our homes." Twitchi began raising his voice. "We shall show the world that we are not weak! We are stronger! Stronger than any fleet or army! We are the mightiest nation the world has ever seen, and will ever know!" By this point, Twitchi was screaming, his voice echoing around the stadium.

"We shall destroy anything that dares to stand in our path, and leave nothing behind! We shall rule all! Because we are Klathu!!!" The chants from the crowd turned into a single, blood-thirsty roar, the citizens determined to fight for what was rightfully theirs. Twitchi smiled as he watched the crowd go practically insane. As the national anthem was being sung, he gave a cruel smile. So begins the war of the Century....

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Time: 8:00am, 2 Days Later

J5t2SxO.png

"Mornin', guys," Haydi yawned as she grabbed a cup of coffee. "Hey," Val waved in reply, keeping her eyes glued to the TV, which was showing reports over last night's rally in Veloxia. "This is a major moment in the history of the NSK, Jonfred. We haven't seen rallies like this since the Civ-" The reporter said, sounding anxious before someone clicked it off. "Enough of that," Gene said, throwing the remote into a basket.

So far, Twitchi had called for an all-out war, Chris, the leader of the Veloxian Republic, called for a peaceful revolution (Typical), and the President of the NSK was about to make a speech on live TV.

YDiM5MH.png

"What are we going to do?" Maxxy asked, looking at her phone, reading the news that Gene had turned off. Val didn't blame him. The Civil War was one of the worst times in the history of the nation. gene was one of the most decorated pilots, but just mentioning it made Gene sulk for a couple hours. Maxxy, on the other hand, was a relative rookie. Even though she'd been in over 500 combat missions (Some in a hurricane), her face was white as a sheet in fear. Val shrugged, and began watching a game show on the TV. The action was subtle, but the message rang clear as a bell. This was beyond everyone at the KSC.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

We interrupt this chapter to bring you an Author's Note. It's raining insanely outside right now. Like seriously weather! It's July 4th! Not the First Day of Spring! *Thunder rumbles* Interruption over.

"Madam President," the aide said, standing at attention. "You're on." The President walked out to the press conference, and began her speech. "Good morning," She said with a characteristic smile, before getting down to business.

W6B24JV.png

"Just 2 days ago, calls for war sprang up from the state of Klathu. Then, yesterday, Veloxia called for a revolt of their own, peaceful as it may be. Today, the nation of Kruola declared war on the Kommunist Army of Kerthenia.

"Today, I say this. Our nation has been one of peace and freedom for the past 20 years. The aggressors to the North in Klathu continue to make plans of invasion, while the pacifists to the East in Veloxia refuse to assist us in our struggle. The 2 states are both claiming themselves to be separate entities from our glorious nation. We shall never accept their claims of freedom and revolution. We shall stand stiff in our resolve, and strong in our struggles. We shall fight in Kerthenia, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with confidence and strength in the air, we shall defend our land, whatever the cost may be we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender to this menace, no matter the cost. This will either be our finest our, or our greatest failure.

"Today, I am telling you that no matter what happens- either 5 minutes from now or 5 years from now- that we shall remain strong, and united against our foes. Though the eras of peace and the National States are through, a new era is just beginning. The era of our United Kerbin." A flag dropped down, and the press clapped at both the new flag and the moving speech.

"We shall forever show the world, and we will defeat these traitors, and free the planet from this menace. Though our allies to our East and West are facing their own struggles, we have no fears or doubts. We will do everything in our power to keep our wonderful nation together, even if it leads to conflict. No matter what happens, we shall fight with all our heart, and if we need to fight this war alone, then we shall do that too."

Cameras flashed and reporters clamored for attention the second the speech ended. "Yes?" The President asked, pointing to the first reporter in the row. "Rodden Kerman, IKNN. Are you saying that this is going to be a war?" The President hesitated before saying "Yes" in reply. Immediately, the other reporters began vying for answers before the President motioned to the next in line.

"Are you going to call in the Veterans of previous wars?" The next reporter asked, not bothering with affiliations. "Anyone who wishes to join our war may do so. From vets of the Civil War to the Battle of Kerbin, they may join the fight should they wish."

Val's mouth dropped open in shock. Should they wish.. Does that mean.. "Gene?" Bob asked, obviously thinking along the same lines as Val. "Can we.." Bill continued, looking around as if someone was going to say "Hah got you!" as a prank. Gene smiled. "You guys up to it?" He asked. Almost immediately, the 3 nodded like a bobble-head.

"Alrighty," Gene sighed, a smile wide on his face. "As the Commanding Officer of the KSC, I now admit you back into the Armed forces." Val grinned and high-fived Bill and Bob, who were equally thrilled to be back in the fight. There was a huge celebration thrown, but Gene slipped off after a few minutes back to the Admin Building. He sat down at his desk, and pulled out an old scrapbook, it's binding nearly worn through. Gene saw himself on the wing of the old F-61, receiving an award. After a couple minutes of thinking, he grabbed his phone and began dialing. "Pick up you old-" Gene muttered, before the line finally connected.

"Jim!" He exclaimed. "Listen, the President ju-.. Yeah I heard. Do you want to join us? Really? Great! Spread the word- Thompberry, Paddy; the whole gang. Okay? Excellent! I'll see you soon!" Gene hung up and laid back in his chair. The old gang's back in town.

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

WOOHOO... Time to suit up! (I wonder if it still fits...)

Don't worry. The KSC has tailors!

Also, Can anyone guess what speech I used in this chapter? I kinda sorta...

On 6/28/2017 at 3:33 PM, Just Jim said:

stole borrowed it :)

as Jim would say. :wink:

Edited by DarkOwl57
Wurds r hard

Great. The tension, I need more chapters! Also, when you mentioned seas and oceans, I immediately thought of the Floating Fortress, do you know if it will show up?

Another thing that's nagging me: Where's Jeb? 

Spoiler

I haven't read the battle of Kerbin, he didn't die did he?

3 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Great. The tension, I need more chapters! Also, when you mentioned seas and oceans, I immediately thought of the Floating Fortress, do you know if it will show up?

It'll show :) Probably in one of the naval battles. For now these first couple chapters are just gonna be backstory and warmup before the cow patties hit the fan.

4 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Another thing that's nagging me: Where's Jeb? 

Hide contents

I haven't read the battle of Kerbin, he didn't die did he?

Naw; He felt bad about something that happened so he exiled himself. (I'm trying to keep this is basic and un-telling as possible. READ THE STORY XD)

Grabs KARMAS* suit, puts it on, grabs 85 tons of snaks from KSC refrigerakor, runs to NUK-lear bunker, locks door, turns on kameras, and watches da war remotely.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Go away!!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Killer Automaton Reaping Manned Aero-Stuff

Read all the way through... THERE IS STUFF IN IT!!!!!

P.S. @KSK I had to improve** the concept

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Was it an improvement? Well-

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

this

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

isn't!!! :cool:

THE ULTIMATE IN BOARING KERBALS TECHNOLOGY!!!!

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

12 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

My puny 5-inch phone screen actually wasn't big enough to show the all the spoilers opened, so that content is lost to me. :D

TL;DR of it - 1st one says "Go away" then " Killer Automaton Reaping Manned Aero-Stuff "

Second one says "Was it an improvement? Well this isn't!"

@DarkOwl57 - Was this the thing I lent you an aircraft for?

10 hours ago, qzgy said:

@DarkOwl57 - Was this the thing I lent you an aircraft for?

Actually I just asked because it's a cool plane :) If you want I could maybe put it in somewhere.

10 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Anyway @DarkOwl57 do you know when we will be getting the next chapter? I need more story. :)

Gotta get the scene set up, but it'll be coming shortly. All the craft is (I think) made, and now all I've got to do is fly the things, and get the screenshots. Chapter 1 ETA is anywhere from today to Saturday.

20 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Actually I just asked because it's a cool plane :) If you want I could maybe put it in somewhere.

Ah, ok. If you'd like, you can put it somewhere. :)

But while we wait... Leader overview!!

Twitchi Kerman (Leader of Klathu): Slightly insane, this guy is he...ck-bent on world domination and rebellion. He climbed through the ranks after several.... Mysterious high-profile deaths of his political and personal rivals. Leading his country into World War K, he is confident in the nations abilities, as most of the great military minds in the world have come from Klathu.

Chris Kerman (Leader of Veloxia (Formally known as the Veloxian Republic)): Working for peace, the leader of the Veloxian Republic has called for a revolt to avoid war. The army of Veloxia is small, but determined to protect their lands.

Sandry Kerman (Leader of United Kerman (Formerly the National States of Kerbin)): Sandry Kerman, known officially as "Madam President," is the leader of the NSK's remains. Becoming the youngest President to ever be elected, the citizens demanded that the Constitution be amended to allow her to serve longer, which actually happened after a unanimous vote in Congress. The nation's storied Air Force and Navy highlight their stellar Army, which has almost never lost a battle.

Beardy Kerman (Leader of Kruola): Leader of the Kommunist revolution of Kerthenia, he is determined to fight everywhere he can for the revolution.

Tap Kerman (Leader of Kerthenia): Fighting against the Green menace, Kerthenia is determined to fight back, with help coming from the rest of the United Coalition.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.