World War K (Conclusion: "The Return": An introduction to The Final Stand, and The Authors Note)

DarkOwl57

Alright, back on the screenshot haul. After lunch mom said "Oh let's go to Walmart for something" (I don't remember what) and so I went. On the way there, she remembers my allergy shot, so I have to do that! 30 minutes later, I'm in Walmart. Then about 15 minutes later, we leave. So after a 10 minute drive, I'm finally home, an hour of my time wasted.

Alright, persist melted. Now I can't even get into the SPH... AND I ONLY HAD LIKE 2 OR 3 PICTURES TO GO! *Throws drink cup* UGH

Now to copy the craft file, make a new save, and spawn in the entire crew roster. I hope I don't screw this up...

EDIT: Crap the glitch is in the title screen too! What the actual heck. I'm reloading the game. And this time it better flipping work

I would seriously reccomend cutting down on mods. When you re-install, it would probably be a good idea to move each mod over manually to the new gamedata, so you can check that you don't have any duplicates or mods you don't need. Just my advice. 

Lookig forward to the next chapter, the pictures might be hard work but they really add to the reading experience, please don't stop doing them. :)

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I would seriously reccomend cutting down on mods. When you re-install, it would probably be a good idea to move each mod over manually to the new gamedata, so you can check that you don't have any duplicates or mods you don't need. Just my advice.

I'm not doing a reinstall. I'm making a new save file.

Alright, Chapter 2. Wanna know where I got the inspiration for this chapter? Okay so remember that M*A*S*H episode where Col. Potter and Winchester get sick and they need to get a replacement doctor who loses it in the OR? Yeah. Christina is unfortunately that doctor. But at least there's explosions! Enjoy the chapter, folks.

Chapter 2

First of Many

Time: 7:02am

Val jumped into her plane as the other pilots made it into the hangar. There was going to be more, but Jim tripped and caused a multi-kerbal pileup that took up 5 or 6 pilots in a sprawling mass of limbs. "Stupid suit!" Jim roared, pulling at the fabric with a boot in his face. If it weren't for the fact there were 3 enemies above the KSC, Val would have laughed. "Roll call," She commanded as 4 K-22 Raptors took to the skies. "Here," Triop replied. "Present," Paddy said, maneuvering his plane to go on the early attack. "Present and Accounted for boss," Christina answered, sounding like she had just barely recovered from a laughing fit.

"They're over R&D," Paddy warned as he punched the afterburners to get up to speed. "Remember what I've taught you guys," Val warned. "Stay calm, aim straight, and fire only when you know you won't kill us. Now let's get these fools!" The 3 lit up the afterburners and caught up to the intruders. Paddy was right on the tail of the lead fighter, and shot it down with a missile.

u8SkQ1z.png

Uzp2ZJf.png

"BOOOOM!" Paddy laughed, twirling around a missile from the enemy. "I've got you," Triop said, lining up a shot. Pulling the trigger, a swarm of 10 millimeter bullets streamed out of the gun. They hit the main fuselage, which blew up the fuel tanks, the cockpit, and ripped off the wings in a fiery symphony of destruction.

1W0VUiq.png

"Great shot kid!" Paddy exclaimed. One more fighter left. Christina was hot on it's tail, and after a hot pursuit and a climb, she fired on it, ripping off it's wing and sending it tumbling from the heights. The entire group was silent as it twirled like a big, out-of-control leaf falling from a tree. Christina dive-bombed it, attempting to get one last shot off, but before she could, the plane hit the ground and went up in flames.

VX5RhRc.png

"Amazing Christina!" Val shouted, overjoyed at the fact her prodigy got her first kill in her first battle. "Hey Christina! That's 2 kills for the young-bloods!" Triop laughed. Christina didn't answer. Val wasn't concerned. The adrenaline rush always kinda blurred everything. Val remembered the first time she got a kill, she almost passed out mid-flight. "Alright gang, let's land. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a huge party tonight."

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Time: 9:00pm

Bc3e2Ny.png

"That was insane!" Piper exclaimed at the party. "You.. Then you... Then there was a..." She stammered, making Val chuckle. "If you think that's insane, you should wait until we're doing the attacking. Those flak guns really know how to ramp up the adrenaline." Piper's eye's bulged. "You pilots are insane!" She half-shrieked. "Who here thinks they're insane?" Val called out to everyone at the party. Immediately, every pilot rose their hands. "I guess it's a requirement," Val joked as everyone put their hands down. Before Piper could reply, Bryson ran up to the two.

"Have either of you seen Christina?" He asked, worry and concern painted on his face. "She's not here?" Piper asked. "She went out for punch an hour ago," Bryson replied. "We've not seen her." Val looked around, and saw Paddy attempting to teach Haydi a Dystrios jig, Triop telling a story to Emiko and Angelo, and Bill talking with a group of pilots about the navy. But no Christina. "Buck, you search R&D; I'll check this building and the hangar to see if she's there. And whatever you do, don't freak everyone out." The two ran off, anxious to find their friend.

CEdvCuN.png

mZkDLTP.png

Just when Val was about to call the MP's and call in an AWOL, she saw Christina on a bench next to the VAB. "Hey kiddo," Val whispered, sitting next to her. "That was some shooting earlier." Christina kept staring ahead. After a couple minutes of silence, Christina said, in a flat tone, "I killed him. He didn't even fire a single shot and I shot him down. He was my age too. I saw him while he was falling.. His eyes... He didn't want to fight. He just wanted to run. And I killed him for it. We could have been best friends... We were only enemies because he lived on the wrong side of a map." A single tear trailed down her cheek. "I'm a murderer."

"You are not are murderer. You did what you had to do, and you did it really good. Now get some sleep. You'll be right as rain in the morning." Soundlessly, Christina walked off.

P1PMZga.png

Val pulled out her phone and texted Bryson. Found Christina. I'm off to bed. Bryson replied thnx and Val headed back to the Astronaut Complex.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Time: 2:00am

xxa2wkK.png

It was about 2 in the morning when the screaming started. Val bolted up out of her bed as Christina screamed "NO! NOOO!" Val sprinted into the room and shook Christina. "Hey! Snap out of it!" Val shouted, waking Christina up. When she saw Val, she broke down into tears.

pPxbURB.png

Gene ran in, looking baffled and clearly shaken. It takes a lot to wake up Gene, so Val knew it must have freaked him out. "Get a psychologist," Val told him, and he ran off.

Time: 9:00am, 2 Days later

"Morning. I'm Doctor Sidney Kerman and I'm here for Christina. You can call me Sidney though," The psychologist said. Christina sat silent in her chair, looking forward. "So what's going to happen?" Gene asked. Sidney was supposed to be the best psychologist this side of anywhere, and Gene was hoping it would stop the screaming at midnight. It was like working the night owl shift at the tower 2 nights in a row. In other words, it sucked. "Well I'm gonna run some tests, before asking you guys some questions about what happened. Okay?" Sidney explained. Val nodded, hoping this would work.

"Christina?" Sidney motioned for her to follow him into the office. "So what now?" Val asked. Gene sighed and pulled out a book. "Wanna play checks?" Val asked, grabbing the game board from a table nearby. The two played for about an hour, and when Sidney let Christina go Val was beating up on Gene. "Come on!" Gene shouted as Val took his Queen. "Should I psychoanalyze you, Gene?" Sidney smirked as the two walked in. "No thank you," Gene as he sat down. "So what's up with her?" Val asked.

"First off, what happened 2 nights ago?" Sidney asked. "Well, we had just come out of a battle, and she had shot down an enemy plane. At the party that night she just disappeared completely and I found her next to the VAB. Then at around 2 AM she started screaming. She said she was a murderer.." Val trailed off.

"Just as I thought," Sidney muttered. "What?" Gene asked. "Well from what I've gathered, it's a mix for the perfect storm. Guilt overload, a mental breakdown, and the worst PTSD case I've ever seen." Sidney tapped his notes. "PTSD? How? She's too strong for that! She can't go down after her first conflict!" Val protested. "It happens to the best of us," Sidney explained. "I've seen the most battle-hardened soldiers be turned into blubbering babies after 5 minutes." Val whistled. The brain's a sensitive and delicate thing. "So what're we going to do?" Gene asked. "We can't have her waking us up every time she goes to bed," Val agreed. "I'm suggesting.... A discharge. Permanently."

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Right, thanks for that. Believe it or not, spoilers are meant to be put in a spoiler box, which is cunningly hidden in the editing tab, it's the icon with an EYE on it.

I know, but people will open the tab anyways, so it is pretty much useless.

Nice chapter! Would have liked to see a little more of the other jet and maybe a bit more dogfighting.

Personal preferences. Not necessarily suggestions.

19 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

After a couple minutes of silence, Christina said, in a flat tone, "I killed him....

Unfortunately, this does happen... a lot. No matter how well trained someone is, when the time comes, sometimes a person just can't handle the fact they've just killed another person... no matter who it was. Like you said:

19 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

The brain's a sensitive and delicate thing.

This was good... really good. Deeper than you've gone before. I eagerly look forward to moar!  :)

7 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Awwww, that was emotional! Is she just going to disappear now?

For now, she'll just be a civilian. I may have her come back for a visit or two, but she isn't going to be in combat anymore.

6 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Hey, on Chapter 8, can you put KDI*, a faction made by Jebediah Kerman to neutralise the conflict?

*KDI: Kerbal/Kerbin Defense Initiative

Yeah..... no. Just.. no

6 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

In this canon Jeb has exiled himself and has disappeared.

Yup

Well, *SPOILER ALERT* he was in an underground club research facility.

uh...... no.... He's exiled himself

Right, thanks for that. Believe it or not, spoilers are meant to be put in a spoiler box, which is cunningly hidden in the editing tab, it's the icon with an EYE on it.

Thank you

I know, but people will open the tab anyways, so it is pretty much useless.

No...

thats why you head it with something like:

VERY BIG SPOILERS HERE DO NOT OPEN

Reveal hidden contents

So you don't use spoilers tabs because obviously, Everyone WANTS to see spoilers?

Exactly. Now could we cut this out? I don't want a mod called in over a tiny flamewar.

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Nice chapter! Would have liked to see a little more of the other jet and maybe a bit more dogfighting.

Personal preferences. Not necessarily suggestions.

Yeah. I didn't put all 7 jets up at the same time (Frame rate) so I just put up one plane at a time and got screenies for a 1v1, but it was (In story) a 4v3.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Unfortunately, this does happen... a lot. No matter how well trained someone is, when the time comes, sometimes a person just can't handle the fact they've just killed another person... no matter who it was. Like you said:

Awh shoot I didn't mean it to be too real! AAAAHHHHHHHHH *Grabs hair* HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS WRITING BRAIN?!?!?! THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T WATCH M*A*S*H AT NIGHT!!

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

This was good... really good. Deeper than you've gone before. I eagerly look forward to moar!  :)

Graci. I look forward to making moar :)

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Awh shoot I didn't mean it to be too real! AAAAHHHHHHHHH *Grabs hair* HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS WRITING BRAIN?!?!?! THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T WATCH M*A*S*H AT NIGHT!!

No... don't stop now... this is what makes it good... do you know about some of the back stories from MASH when they seriously messed with and/or killed off a favorite character???  The writers and producers went nuts worrying it was the end of the series... but instead they turned out to be the most memorable episodes.

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

No... don't stop now... this is what makes it good... do you know about some of the back stories from MASH when they seriously messed with and/or killed off a favorite character???  The writers and producers went nuts worrying it was the end of the series... but instead they turned out to be the most memorable episodes.

Ah alright. Although I'm not going to keep a mean streak up. I'm not gonna kill everyone! (Note: I say not gonna kill; Either your character or @adsii1970's character are gonna take a nuke. Just warning ya)

14 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

So are the cast of a TV show all pilots?

It's not unprecedented... little known Star Trek trivia... James Doohan, the original Scotty, had only 9 fingers... his right middle finger was shot off on Juno beach during the Normandy Invasion. 

This is just one example of many Hollywood actors/actresses that were prior war vets. 

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.