The Modern Fighter Jet Challenge

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I dont have it installed, and since it was on my copy of the craft file, I doubt it. I must have realigned them when rebuilding for BDA and forgot to fix them, my fault.

Still dont work... Also, bda cant take them off. The engines explode.

Just now, MiffedStarfish said:

What?! The engines explode... It must be the mods your using, I've done multiple dogfights with the same version of the craft your using, and had no problems. Might just have to make a plane specifically designed for this.

Yup, it scrapes the ground.

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I put I-Beams there to specifically stop that from happening. Are they not working? (are the stabilisers working?)

Stabilisers are not working, and the I-beams just explode along with the engines. Probably FAR aero.

I've finally got round to making a dedicated plane for this. I don't have pictures now, but I'm very excited about it. It can fly at up to 900m/s with afterburners engaged, pull 40gs in a turn, and carries 4 AMRAAMs, 4 Sidewinders, 3 Vulcan inline cannons, (1 centered and 2 in the wingtips for maximum spread) and possibly more if I want to cram missiles on all the wing space. It's in the final stages of development, I just need to finish arming it, tweak the numbers on the AI pilot, and test. It's kinda like a cross between a F/A-18C Hornet, a SR-71 Blackbird, and a B-2 Spirit. 

Edit: <whistles> I just read over the rules again, and saw the part limit. Bang on 75 without weapons. The only thing it can't do is internal weapons storage, though that rule doesn't really make sense. Most modern planes don't have internal storage bays.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

17 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I've finally got round to making a dedicated plane for this. I don't have pictures now, but I'm very excited about it. It can fly at up to 900m/s with afterburners engaged, pull 40gs in a turn, and carries 4 AMRAAMs, 4 Sidewinders, 3 Vulcan inline cannons, (1 centered and 2 in the wingtips for maximum spread) and possibly more if I want to cram missiles on all the wing space. It's in the final stages of development, I just need to finish arming it, tweak the numbers on the AI pilot, and test. It's kinda like a cross between a F/A-18C Hornet, a SR-71 Blackbird, and a B-2 Spirit. 

Edit: <whistles> I just read over the rules again, and saw the part limit. Bang on 75 without weapons. The only thing it can't do is internal weapons storage, though that rule doesn't really make sense. Most modern planes don't have internal storage bays.

F-22, F-35, SU-50. Also, I thought I crossed it out of the rules.

Edited by Guest

The F-22 is the only plane I'd say. The F-35 software is half written, I don't consider it ready. Internal bays are only used on stealth planes, and since my plane isn't designed to be stealthy, I didn't bother enlarging it to carry bays. The only rule crossed out is the one about GAU-8s, I think. :)

18 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

It can fly at up to 900m/s with afterburners engaged, pull 40gs in a turn, and carries 4 AMRAAMs, 4 Sidewinders, 3 Vulcan inline cannons, (1 centered and 2 in the wingtips for maximum spread) and possibly more if I want to cram missiles on all the wing space.

Wow, Mach 2.7! And 40G's being, turning at speed? 3 guns don't really matter much, they'd just drain your ammo more quickly, and the hit-to-miss ratio will be higher than if you'd used only one gun.

Best you put 6 AMRAAM's and 2 Sidewinders, the IRL requirement. And the craft, it is best to assign it to multirole.

Just sayin'

2 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Wow, Mach 2.7! And 40G's being, turning at speed? 3 guns don't really matter much, they'd just drain your ammo more quickly, and the hit-to-miss ratio will be higher than if you'd used only one gun.

Best you put 6 AMRAAM's and 2 Sidewinders, the IRL requirement. And the craft, it is best to assign it to multirole.

Just sayin'

I agree about the 3 cannons, but I think 4 and 4 of each missile is fine

On 7/3/2017 at 8:27 PM, dundun92 said:

1. No spaceplane parts(mk1-mk2 adapters are allowed)(e.g. rockets, RCS)

2. Up to two engines of the same type

3. No engine clipping

4.  J-404 Panthers, J-85 Tigers, and J-33 Wheesleys are the only allowed engines.

5. No Drones

6. Must be able to pull 9g in subsonic flight below 6km

7. TWR over 1

8. Mach 2+ top speed, Mach 1.3+ supercruise

9. No more then .25 mach difference loaded/empty.

10. Must weigh at least 10 tons.

11. Needs at least 4 AMRAMS and 2 Sidewinders.

12. Needs Radar

13. Needs 1 20mm or greater cannon

14. No GAU-8's

15. No turrets(not even a turret with no rotation)

16. Needs to have more than 3000RPM

17. No rear facing weapons

18. No above wing weapons.

19. Must be able to carry at least 4 weapons internally(please don't enter with internal weapons, BDAc won't open cargo bays, just demonstrate that it can)

20. Must have no more than 8 missiles

21. Chaff and Flares required

22. ECM required

23. Must be able to fly with the AI pilot flight computer

24. Needs to be able to take off and land on runway

25. No sci-fi planes(forward swept wings are OK, but not preferred)

26. Weapons manager and AI pilot flight computer required

27. No radiators/heat shields

28. Max 75 parts without BDA

Read rule 19, @MiffedStarfish

@Joseph Kerman thanks for the advice. I will probably change the guns to either one centered vertically or two on either side of the nose. (I want at least 2 as I'm using vulcans, which lack the punch of GAU-8s) I've seen that advice about the missiles twice now, I'll do some testing but it's definitely looking like I'll change it to that.

I can't put internal storage without a completely new design, and I'd really prefer not to do that. I will if I have to, but the rules are strict enough that every plane is following a Mk2 fulselage delta wing design, as there is not much space for variation, which is kinda boring. And at least one other entry can't do internal storage either.

Edit: And the rules 1. And 19. Kinda contradict each other, as Mk2 cargo bays are the only ones that can carry missiles, and they're banned, if I'm reading correctly.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

Using flaps I have managed to make 2 internal bays which carry 2 Hellfires each. This has however, severely decreased Aerodynamics performance. Could I use another variant without internal bays, as I have have shown that I can carry internal missiles? (I will have pics in an hour or so)

1 hour ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Using flaps I have managed to make 2 internal bays which carry 2 Hellfires each. This has however, severely decreased Aerodynamics performance. Could I use another variant without internal bays, as I have have shown that I can carry internal missiles? (I will have pics in an hour or so)

I'm just going to point out that Fighter 3 does not have an internal weapons bay, and it has fought in the challenge without @dundun92 commenting on the lack of weapons bay.

2 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I should have worded myself better. When I said read rule 19, I meant for you to notice that it was slashed out.

9 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

@Joseph Kerman thanks for the advice. I will probably change the guns to either one centered vertically or two on either side of the nose. (I want at least 2 as I'm using vulcans, which lack the punch of GAU-8s) I've seen that advice about the missiles twice now, I'll do some testing but it's definitely looking like I'll change it to that.

I can't put internal storage without a completely new design, and I'd really prefer not to do that. I will if I have to, but the rules are strict enough that every plane is following a Mk2 fulselage delta wing design, as there is not much space for variation, which is kinda boring. And at least one other entry can't do internal storage either.

Edit: And the rules 1. And 19. Kinda contradict each other, as Mk2 cargo bays are the only ones that can carry missiles, and they're banned, if I'm reading correctly.

I didnt mean to exclude Mk2 cargo bays. They are perfectly acceptable.

Here is my entry, the F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II:

ek7gNnV.jpg

A Spitfire II on the runway prepping for take-off

ZJMjw9h.jpg

v15g98X.jpg

Spitfire IIs destroying Iron Falcons, it's rival in the skies

The F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II is a generation 5 twin engine tailess Air Superiority Fighter. It weighs 11.75 tons, has a part count of 100, and the civilian version can fly at speeds of up to 800m/s, and pull turns at 60Gs. And I have no clue if it will work in FAR.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouwkg7o7npff5iq/F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II.craft?dl=0

If it works, credit me in the video please. :)

33 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Here is my entry, the F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II:

ek7gNnV.jpg

A Spitfire II on the runway prepping for take-off

ZJMjw9h.jpg

v15g98X.jpg

Spitfire IIs destroying Iron Falcons, it's rival in the skies

The F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II is a generation 5 twin engine tailess Air Superiority Fighter. It weighs 11.75 tons, has a part count of 100, and the civilian version can fly at speeds of up to 800m/s, and pull turns at 60Gs. And I have no clue if it will work in FAR.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouwkg7o7npff5iq/F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II.craft?dl=0

If it works, credit me in the video please. :)

OK!

6 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

@dundun92, can you remove the AV-R8 winglets from Fighter 3 before it's next battle? I found after some testing that it does better without them.

The tail fins or canards?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.