The Modern Fighter Jet Challenge

I wonder how well my F-18 will do in FAR?

Gonna send it in without making FAR changes and see if it does okay:

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/F-18E-Super-Hornet

Edit: I watched the videos, and it seems that missiles fired from long range don't really do very well. So I'll leave the missile range as they were in old BDA for now.

Edited by goduranus

2 hours ago, goduranus said:

I wonder how well my F-18 will do in FAR?

Gonna send it in without making FAR changes and see if it does okay:

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/F-18E-Super-Hornet

Edit: I watched the videos, and it seems that missiles fired from long range don't really do very well. So I'll leave the missile range as they were in old BDA for now.

Mine didn't work so well... 

9 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Mine didn't work so well... 

Its the detail parts, im sure. FAR doesnt tolerate extra drag very well...

There isn't really a "replica" engine in the fairing, (there was, but I took it out) just a nuke to get the engine bell and bring the mass back. I think your confusing my MiG with the totm one. As for parts, most of my stuff is fairly high, I'm very committed to shape so I end up using small science parts and things like that to get uneccesary details. One version even had wing fences I made with these parts: 

Comms_DTS-M1_02.png

But I cut them as it didn't look right and was creating unneeded drag.     

5 hours ago, goduranus said:

@dundun92 I've seem some missiles being fired without lock in some of the videos, particularly the one with the Eurofighter, did you touch the controls? or is it firing at something other than a plane?

Yes, I know. It happens a lot at long range. Perhaps the AI got a breif lock, then fired just as the lock was lost.

18 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

@dundun92 how would you feel if I copy pasted some of your rules for a stock aero dogfight challenge? As there doesn't seem to be one active right now, and not being able to test my planes in the same conditions as they are being used in is killing them. (Also, have you tried my MiG?)

Feel free to! I dont mind. Right now, in working on the next Great Kerbal Konflict episode, but i will definitely see if the MiG works.

2 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

YYYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS! I thought it would get wrecked by missiles at long range, as it didn't even have ECM.

Not to mention no radar... Maybe ill try a F-106 next...

Forgot to upload video through (I was too busy with the Great Kerbal Konflict)

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Radar is just dead weight if you don't have radar guided missiles to use as an analogue for K-5s. :) when's the video going up?

Tomorrow afternoon. Radar CAN cue an off-boresight IR misdile.

UGH! Im out if likes!

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

YYYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS! I thought it would get wrecked by missiles at long range, as it didn't even have ECM.

YAY!!!

@MiffedStarfish, are you planing on making any more fighter jets for the modern section? 

Anyone willing to take over for me? Ive been very busy with my Kerbal Kombat extension, and probably will be for a little while. 

11 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Anyone willing to take over for me? Ive been very busy with my Kerbal Kombat extension, and probably will be for a little while. 

Okay... (I got no RBDA rn)

Who will challenge my interceptor?

Edited by Joseph Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.