The Modern Fighter Jet Challenge

Do you like making realistic, and not sci-fi airplanes and watching them dogfight? If so, then this is the challenge for you. In the challenge, you must make a modern fighter jet that abides by the rules, and will be dogfighted against other designs.

Rules

Spoiler

1. No spaceplane parts(mk1-mk2 adapters are allowed)(e.g. rockets, RCS)

2. Up to two engines of the same type

3. No engine clipping

4.  J-404 Panthers, J-85 Tigers, and J-33 Wheesleys are the only allowed engines.

5. No Drones

6. Must be able to pull 9g in subsonic flight below 6km

7. TWR over 1

8. Mach 2+ top speed, Mach 1.3+ supercruise

9. No more then .25 mach difference loaded/empty.

10. Must weigh at least 10 tons.

11. Needs at least 4 AMRAMS and 2 Sidewinders.

12. Needs Radar

13. Needs 1 20mm or greater cannon

14. No GAU-8's

15. No turrets(not even a turret with no rotation)

16. Needs to have more than 3000RPM

17. No rear facing weapons

18. No above wing weapons.

19. Must be able to carry at least 4 weapons internally(please don't enter with internal weapons, BDAc won't open cargo bays, just demonstrate that it can)

20. Must have no more than 8 missiles

21. Chaff and Flares required

22. ECM required

23. Must be able to fly with the AI pilot flight computer

24. Needs to be able to take off and land on runway

25. No sci-fi planes(forward swept wings are OK, but not preferred)

26. Weapons manager and AI pilot flight computer required

27. No radiators/heat shields

28. Max 75 parts without BDA

Required Mods

RBDA(for those who aren't familiar, it is a branch of bda by @jrodriguez.

2. RBDA is basically the name of branch done by me. It has never been release officially because it is just a dirty proof of concept, however I would like to get it finished at some point in the future.

RBDA stands for Realistic BDArmory, some of the features /changes **EDITING** are  WILL BE:
- Extended ranges/distances for every single operation - up to 100 km.
- Realistic parameters for every single weapon of BDArmory. (You can fire an AIM-9s from 65 km)
- Design to be used with Realism Overhaul, RSS, FAR, Real Fuels, etc.

If you want to know more about it you can "Watch" my  fork of BDArmory https://github.com/jrodrigv/BDArmory/tree/RBDA .I'm trying to keep the branch always up to date with all the changes happening on the Dev branch.

If you want to play you will need to do the following:
-  Install KSP 1.3 version in case you still using KSP 1.2.2
-  Click on "Clone or download" button from the link.
-  Copy the Distribution/GameData/BDArmory folder inside your GameData folder (delete before your BDArmory folder)

1.2.2 version here

You can build with regular BDA, but dogfights are conducted with RBDA

FAR

Allowed Mods

AirplanePlus

Vens Stock part revamp

Red vs Blue Cont.

Tweakscale

NKD(for other cannons)

AtmosphericAutopilot

B9 Procedural wings

Dogfights start at 65 km range.

If you dont use BDA, just ask me. I'll put on the missiles, radar, cannon, and AI and weapon manager for you. You have two cannon options= the 20mm 6000rpm Vulcan, or Red vs Blues 25mm 3300rpm cannon.

LeaderBoard: Regular Category

1. @dundun92's F-25A

2. @Joseph Kerman's KF-122 "Black Knight"

ELIMINATED. @MiffedStarfish's F-Tech G6 F-2 Spitfire II: pulls turns way to sharply, and both exploded within 1 minute of each other

Replica Rules. All rules except 6,7,8,9,11,12,16.21,22.

LeaderBoard: Replica Category

1. @MiffedStarfish's MiG-17

2. @dundun92's F-4E Phantom II

6c28dec8f47c3a0136c1dd5a5dc33157.png

Edited by Guest

Nice :).

Although,  I prefer to go for the full RealismOverhaul pack with RSS, RSSVE, etc. 

We can set up a real war scenario between two 'real'  islands for example with Kerbal Konstructs. 

I can do also a proper release Zip file for the RBDA branch, so it will be easier to install. 

6 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Although,  I prefer to go for the full RealismOverhaul pack with RSS, RSSVE, etc. 

We can set up a real war scenario between two 'real'  islands for example with Kerbal Konstructs. 

I can do also a proper release Zip file for the RBDA branch, so it will be easier to install. 

Good idea!

Me and dundun92 have kerbal konstruts

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Which two bases would you reccomend? I have Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbin-Side installed. 

3 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Which two bases would you reccomend? I have Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbin-Side installed. 

I don't know yet. I recommend using the huge runway of KK. 

BTW the only problem I see with this challenge is that it can get boring. 

I mean, using FAR with BDA means that it will be almost impossible to dodge a stock AIM120 missile :)

6 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I don't know yet. I recommend using the huge runway of KK. 

BTW the only problem I see with this challenge is that it can get boring. 

I mean, using FAR with BDA means that it will be almost impossible to dodge a stock AIM120 missile :)

With chaff ECM, and a stealthy shaped design,  it might be possible. 

BTW, I have a design coming Thursday. Its actually unstable in yaw

Edited by Guest

Maybe we can allow only Modular missiles that will make the challenge more interesting because that way everyone should build their own missiles too and modular missiles are more easy to dodge. 

Edited by jrodriguez

1 minute ago, jrodriguez said:

Maybe we can allow only Modular missiles that will make the challenge more interesting because that way everyone should build their own missiles too and modular missiles are more easy to dodge. 

Great idea. 

Well, gotta go to bed now. Thanks for the advice! 

I did some improvements yesterday to RBDA regarding Modular Missiles

I will do a release during today or tomorrow. 

I recommend tagging the thread with [Inception] so everyone knows that we are actually planning a challenge lol. 

1 minute ago, ScaryTerry said:

So, I would love to build a jet for this challenge, but sadly somehow I cant install BDA on my KSP. I would love to just build a jet and some of you guys puts the weapons on. I hope this would work :D

Sorry but I can't believe you. I'm one of the current developers of BDArmory. 

Install BDArmory it is as easy as to install other mods. If you read the OP of BDArmory Continued there is no way to fail. 

1 hour ago, ScaryTerry said:

So, I would love to build a jet for this challenge, but sadly somehow I cant install BDA on my KSP. I would love to just build a jet and some of you guys puts the weapons on. I hope this would work :D

I see your new to KSP

But bda just doesn't "not install" like that. I think you made a mistake while trying to install it.

And RBDA is a bit confusing to install because it has a lot of folders that you shouldn't paste in your game data. @ScaryTerry, which folder did you paste in your game data?

we are not trying to pick on you but I think you made a mistake 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ScaryTerry said:

Read the spoiler in the OP (:

I think the dogfight should start at black krags and the KSC. I selected black krags because the runway is wide and can fit 3 airplanes. And though Kerman lake is closer to the ksc( only 15m away if you are traveling at mach1) its runway is narrow and it slopes down sharply on the edges. And black krags runway is flat, but short. And it doesn't slope down much.

the only problem is the 100km physics range limit and I'm not sure if black krags is more than 100km away.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I will send you a video with my proposal...maybe it is to ambitious, let's see :)

I cant wait!

P.S, I have a airplane coming too. Its the F-17 SpiderCrab. Its quite manuverable, and has a large V-Tail. its so unstable in yaw that the AI cant control it. I had to remove thrust vectoring to stop the AI (and me!)from over-reacting and over-maneuverin it. it, however can pull 12g in subsonic flight and can supercruise at mach 1.3 in level 1km flight.

Pictures and link tommorow!

Edited by Guest

I might enter my ASW X-10 which is the one you see on my profile which is one of my best airplanes. I haven't tested it in FAR so I'm not sure if it is going to work. But I'll give it a try!

If not the x-10, than maybe my bullet

Anyone else want to enter?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, dundun93 said:

I see your new to KSP

But bda just doesn't "not install" like that. I think you made a mistake while trying to install it.

And RBDA is a bit confusing to install because it has a lot of folders that you shouldn't paste in your game data. @ScaryTerry, which folder did you paste in your game data?

we are not trying to pick on you but I think you made a mistake 

Nu, 200hours, I think this is quite a lot, but do I need to install the weapon manager extra or should I have this thing when I install BDA?

5 minutes ago, ScaryTerry said:

Nu, 200hours, I think this is quite a lot, but do I need to install the weapon manager extra or should I have this thing when I install BDA?

Me and my brother dundun92 have been doing ksp for over 3 years. About 4 hours per week

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.