Search for megaship engineers.

• 4 weeks later...

So, basically I'm playing MKS oriented gameplay and at the moment my space program is aiming at kolonizing Eve. The idea of mega/mothership is quite close to me, yet everyone I've built so far had over 300 parts and brought my game into kingdom of 1-4 fps. With a helping hand from OPT Space Plane I've build Karborundum Powered Space Plane Beniowski. The vehicle itself costs lil bit over 30 000 000 (due to high value of Karborundum), yet has over 30k d/v and TWR betwen 4-7 at Kerbin atmosphere, equipped with 3 scanning-relay satelites and a non-atmospheric lander (over 1,6k d/v, I believe it could be switched with a small automatic rover). Apart from that, KPSP Beniowski provides supplies and habitat for more than a 3 years for a bunch of crew (sth like 3-4 Kerbals).

Behold!

Right now I'm working on even bigger karborundum powered ssto with payload big enough to work with Duna class kolonization stuff.

Edited by mavnor

17 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@mavnor That's a pretty interesting setup you have there. By chance are you using my OPT_USI patch? I see no USI parts at all on your mega SSTO except greenhouses and engines, but it boasts a lot of Supplies and Habitation capacity.

I do! You did a great job, kind sir, yet I wonder if this isn't a lil bit too op when it comes to supplies/habitation vs part's space. About USI parts, there are also fertilizer containers (1,25m) just before greenhouses and the secondary cargo (just before wings) holds 2,5m containers full of ore and karburundum. No other USI parts were needed :P

//edit @JadeOfMaar , actually I lied, there were also a pair of reactors stuffed into secondary cargo bays. I updated the album.

Edited by mavnor

• 1 month later...

Just something I made once, not sure if it counts as a mega-ship:

The Discovery I

Crew Capacity: 122 kerbals

Engines: 4x LF-9 Colossus Magnetoplasmadynamic Engines

Primary Power Source: 4x MX-2L Excalibur Fission Reactors, 1x MX-3S F.L.A.T. Fission Reactor

Secondary Power Source: 1x OKEB-500 Blanket Photovoltaic Array

Communication Systems: 2x RA-100 Relay Antenna

Dv: 17,779 m/s

b8aT9HA.png

TtcqNOL.png

kPHnins.png

It's purely a long-range science ship, and as such almost never uses its full crew capacity. If all goes well, it'll be retired and replaced with the new Discovery II currently in development.

Edited by MDS_Dan
derp

Not quite as epic as some... :D

Called, for some reason, Minotaur.  Probably because I've been playing Galactica, Deadlock.  Which also probably explains the 'fly-thru' hanger bay, in which are stored three craft (C1, C2 & C3) 

C1 - Nearly 4K Delta-V, capable of landing on small bodies

C2 - Over 3K Delta-V, capable of Duna landing

C3 - Short range, but SSTO capable on Kerbin.  Probably would do Laythe too

All come with parachutes for emergency situations.

The mother ship has over 30K Delta-V due to the ludicrous Dark Drive engines.

Uses B9 and OPT (and possibly something else, I've lost track.) - I'll post the craft file if anyone wants it.

smz63Su.png

IT2lfFr.png

3ZwNRmT.jpg

VvxMdu8.jpg

BJuVc27.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/RPV8f

Edited by Fellow314

I built this yesterday and I'm thinking of making a set of modular mission packs that would dock inside the rings and provide everything needed for missions to various destinations.  There would probably be three mission packs: a Jool 5 pack for doing science in the Jool SOI, an Eve pack for tackling the big purple planet of doom, and a small planets pack for everything else. 

SjsIbba.png

The ship currently has capacity for 16 kerbals and can easily SSTO from kerbin with fuel to spare.  The mission packs would have to be launched separately for aerodynamic and payload reasons, and all versions would have to refuel either at Minmus or at a refueling station in LKO.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2017 at 7:01 AM, Fellow314 said:

Not quite as epic as some... :D

Called, for some reason, Minotaur.  Probably because I've been playing Galactica, Deadlock.  Which also probably explains the 'fly-thru' hanger bay, in which are stored three craft (C1, C2 & C3) 

-snip-

Uses B9 and OPT (and possibly something else, I've lost track.) - I'll post the craft file if anyone wants it.

smz63Su.png

3ZwNRmT.jpg

Everyone's epic in this thread. :wink: That's all that matters.

I don't know the super large nose cones on the Minotaur's nacelles, but I know the Mk2 nuclear rocket engine from QuizTech Aerospace.

The fly-through hangar is genius.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

New crazy project!  I have been recently inspired to build a 'space tramp freighter' type vessel; something that can haul cargo from place to place, much like the Firefly or the Millennium Falcon.  I chose OPT for it's beautiful cargo bays and loading ramps, as well as the cockpits, and I'm using the Torch Drives from the Karborundum mod by Rover Dude.  I'm also using FAR because I don't want to try to play the part drag meta just to get my awesome ship to orbit.  The VTOL engines, in the ventral cargo bays are actually intended to be the main drives for space and non atmospheric worlds, and with 200,000m/s Delta V, they should be able to provide at least partial gravity throughout most of the journey through the employment of brachistochrone trajectories.  (Yeah, I'm not really going to fly that, I certainly don't have the patience.)  I still have some work to do on the ship, and I have to learn how to wrestle Throttle Controlled Avionics into doing my bidding, but so far it's turning out pretty good.

TbyjUpM.png

nVGUqub.png

Edited by Thor Wotansen
adding images

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.