KSP Challenge: See the system on a toaster!

Qd4uVqUXLBaCiRODjC0-UQyEqd5W35GKJ6eVv_vg

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “See the system on a toaster!” 

The Kerbol System is a wonderful place, filled with exotic sights, such as the sand dunes of Laythe, the dust storms of Duna, and the tropical temperatures of Moho. However, some people can't see these incredible sights, due to playing the game on a computer with specs akin to a brick phone that's ran out of batteries. That's where you come in. You have to build vessel that can go as far as possible, with the lowest part-count possible. Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Scoring:

The lower the score, the better. Your score is equal to the part count of your vessel on the launch pad, minus points per body you land on.

Moho: 15 points

Eve: 25 points 

Duna: 10 points

Dres: 15 points

Laythe: 25 points 

Vall: 25 points

Tylo: 35 points

Bop: 20 points

Pol: 20 points

Eeloo: 35 points

Lowest score wins!

Special thanks to @MiffedStarfish ! 

Enjoy everyone!

I just realised I forgot some of the moons, so here are the scores:

Gilly: 15 points

Kerbin: Nice Try. :D

Mun: 5 points

Minmus: 5 points

Ike: 10 points

You only have one launch to land on as many bodies as possible!

Edited by MiffedStarfish

Wait but shouldn't it be 'highest score wins' and you subtract your part count from the planet points gathered? If it's lowest score wins then I'd just launch a probe core on the pad and say I had one point with those rules... :confused:

EDIT: I was wrong never mind! The scoring makes sense; the scoreboard will just be filled with mostly negative scores and the "winner" is the one with the most negative. :wink:

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Come on, you have to at least go somewhere to score. Exploitation isn't fun. :/ Doing highest score might not be a bad idea, but then people who just go for the Mun and Minmus would be at a major disadvantage.

Scoring isn't supposed to be a massive part of this, just seeing how far people can get with low part counts.

And Hyperedit is KINDA cheating. :)

Edited by MiffedStarfish

12 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Wait but shouldn't it be 'highest score wins' and you subtract your part count from the planet totals? If it's lowest score wins then I'd just launch a probe core on the pad and say I had negative one points with those rules... :confused:

Noooo, you ruined my victory :(

Here is my entry.

not exactly a toaster, but verry simple for what it is, and makes a high minus score :D

Using 194 parts (from which 8 are unnecessary launch clamps :/)

Going infinitely reusable to:

Gilly: again, no points i guess?
Minmus: again, also no points i guess?
back to Kerbin

194 parts - 260 points =

-66 points

( -74 if unneeded launch clamps don't count :P)

Any extra points for the rockets ability to repeat this endlessly? :D

Edited by Kergarin

1 minute ago, Kergarin said:

Here is my entry :D

Using 194 parts (from which 8 are unnecessary launch clamps :/)

Going infinitely reusable to:

Gilly: again, no points i guess?
Minmus: again, also no points i guess?
back to Kerbin

194 parts - 260 points =

-66 points

( -74 if unneeded launch clamps don't count :P)

Any extra points for the rockets ability to repeat this enlessly? :D

<hides in corner>

I forgot some moons in the submission, if you look in the first reply I have those scores.

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

<hides in corner>

I forgot some moons in the submission, if you look in the first reply I have those scores.

thanks, but i think i have them all already? or did i miss one? 14 bodies should mean everywehre :D

Heh, seems like SSTU would be prime candidate for this 'low part count' challenge :)  (as it looks like mods are allowed for this challenge).

Eagerly awaiting seeing what you guys can come up with :)  (and wishing I had time to sit down and actually play some KSP in the near future....).

Oh cool! 

I have a low part count all stock 2-seater SSTO that was designed specifically for missions like this!  It should be able to score pretty well.  It's only 53 parts and that includes 17 extra parts for all the science experiements, etc.   ...so I could run a bare-bones 36 part version for the challenge.

If it manages to make it to all of these places that would be a max score of -224 for a low part count SSTA.  But not sure if it can reach all these far off places; I haven't ventured beyond Minmus with it yet.  But theorhetically... hmmm...

SP-06%20Star%20Ranger.png

https://kerbalx.com/XLjedi/SP-06-Star-Ranger

I'll update the post with my point count when/if I can find the time to travel over the next day or two.

Edited by XLjedi

8 Parts landed on Minmus. It's a miner, but unfortunately it can't do mining where and how it landed. Back to one of the 76 quicksaves I did on the way here (3 gravity assists)

The craft consists of 1 Jumbo Tank, 1 small converter, 1 small drill, 1 small ore tank, 1 small fuel cell, 2 vector engines and a lander can.

Getting to Minmus is the hardest part. After that, I should be able to go Anywhere.

Edit: Did it!

Edit No. 2: 

Mining used to work on Kerbin (even without a radiator). Well ... I just learned that is not the case for airless worlds. Everything overheated and the lander can exploded. Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Physics Student

1 hour ago, Physics Student said:

Edit No. 2: 

Mining used to work on Kerbin (even without a radiator). Well ... I just learned that is not the case for airless worlds. Everything overheated and the lander can exploded. Back to the drawing board.

This 11-parts craft with dV 5200 m/s can easily visit each planet and, finally, land on Eve.

Fl6z5Lm.png

It's possible to remove RTG, but flight will be more comfortable with it.

Edited by Marschig

@Marschig I did not forget the ore tank.

The Toaster MK2 is built with 14 parts. It has an additional reaction wheel, a parachute and moar delta v.

The Mk1 did literally toast the kerbals, while this one only looks a like a Toaster.

Edited by Physics Student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.