KSP Challenge: See the system on a toaster!

My entry, flew from Kerbin to Eeloo with 10 parts. Score: 35 - 10 = -25 points.

Could have used 8 parts if I did not include the two girders to mount the engines, but this felt like cheating to me.

Edited by ernstsmit

8 minutes ago, ernstsmit said:

My entry, flew from Kerbin to Eeloo with 10 parts. Score: 35 - 10 = -25 points.

Could have used 8 parts if I did not include the two girders to mount the engines, but this felt like cheating to me.

I didn't necessarily read the rules that it had to be in one trip... was that implied?  I was thinkin if you can get to Eeloo you can get to a lot of places and you shoot it to the next planet and get to score that one too.  Kind of a "help people with lower end PC's see the Kerbol system" 

Edited by XLjedi

12 hours ago, Badie said:

The Kerbol System is a wonderful place, filled with exotic sights, such as the sand dunes of Laythe, the dust storms of Duna, and the tropical temperatures of Moho. However, some people can't see these incredible sights, due to playing the game on a computer with specs akin to a brick phone that's ran out of batteries.

Oh, the Kerbol has become the official name... Goodbye the Sun.

4 hours ago, EBOSHI said:

Oh, the Kerbol has become the official name... Goodbye the Sun.

I wouldn't be to sure about that, I wrote the description and badie copy and pasted it, so it's not really official confirmation.

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh, and does it need to be manned?

Nope.

11 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

I agree. Hyperedit isn't the best but it certainly is fun. Also: @MiffedStarfish do Kerbals kount as parts?

Nope. It's your part count on the launchpad, and Kerbals aren't counted there.

7 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I didn't necessarily read the rules that it had to be in one trip... was that implied?  I was thinkin if you can get to Eeloo you can get to a lot of places and you shoot it to the next planet and get to score that one too.  Kind of a "help people with lower end PC's see the Kerbol system" 

I didn't think of refueling. Thought that aiming to get "anywhere" with a low part count and low cost was a cool idea. This should land practically anywhere from Kerbin (excluding Tylo and Moho) without needing any gravity assists. Not suitable for a "grand tour" though, might get Mun, Minmus and then maybe Ike or Gilly if you are lucky.

Maybe I interpreted the challenge incorrectly, but still think it is a worthy effort.

3 hours ago, ernstsmit said:

I didn't think of refueling. Thought that aiming to get "anywhere" with a low part count and low cost was a cool idea. This should land practically anywhere from Kerbin (excluding Tylo and Moho) without needing any gravity assists. Not suitable for a "grand tour" though, might get Mun, Minmus and then maybe Ike or Gilly if you are lucky.

Maybe I interpreted the challenge incorrectly, but still think it is a worthy effort.

No, I meant I didn't think you were finished... I wasn't suggesting you refuel.  I was saying I think you can go back to Kerbin now and launch it again at another planet.  I don't think the rules said it had to be in a single trip, or that you couldn't launch twice?  It just gives points for the places you can land.  So maybe your not done with your score yet?

I took the challenge as how many places can you hit with a toaster to help folks with lower end PC's see as much of the Kerbol System as possible.  I dunno though, it may have been implied/understood that it should all be in one trip? 

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

ISRU refuelling is fine, and more than one planet in a mission is fine.

To clarify then, was it intended to be all in the same trip?  I took it as how many places can you hit with a toaster to help folks with lower end PC's see as much of the Kerbol System as possible.  I didn't think "in a single trip" or "one takeoff from Kerbin" was a criteria.

19 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. But you do only have one launch.

OK, thanks... that'll make it a lot tougher for me then without having much experience in terms of a strategy for efficient planet hopping.  I'll just have to make sure I save Eve for the last stop!

5 hours ago, XLjedi said:

OK, thanks... that'll make it a lot tougher for me then without having much experience in terms of a strategy for efficient planet hopping.  I'll just have to make sure I save Eve for the last stop!

*cough isru and overengineering cough*

10 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I wouldn't be to sure about that, I wrote the description and badie copy and pasted it, so it's not really official confirmation.

Nope.

Nope. It's your part count on the launchpad, and Kerbals aren't counted there.

Um, I might have broke the game when I had that Aeris 3A with two deploy able MANNED rocket sleds and they crashed. 1 Kerbal survived. Jeb hopped out and then after it crashed into the sea he sunk to the bottom and walked on the ocean FLOOR. will send screenshots later. Also ISRU stands for In-Site Resource Utilization, not In-Situ Resource Utilization DEVS!!!

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

*cough isru and overengineering cough*

Well to be fair, it was designed well in advance of the actual challenge...  and I hadn't really intended it be used for a "grand tour" but it does give me a good incentive to try it out now.  I'd be at the same disadvantage of not knowing which route to take had I used a "less engineered" design.

10 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Um, I might have broke the game when I had that Aeris 3A with two deploy able MANNED rocket sleds and they crashed. 1 Kerbal survived. Jeb hopped out and then after it crashed into the sea he sunk to the bottom and walked on the ocean FLOOR. will send screenshots later. Also ISRU stands for In-Site Resource Utilization, not In-Situ Resource Utilization DEVS!!!

Not sure where you're getting this from. Here's a nasa link showing that you, sir, are incorrect. The devs did get it right.

https://spaceflightsystems.grc.nasa.gov/stpo/stmd-gcd/isru/

7 parts (5612 funds) to Eve:

qz0ctaT.png

...of course, nobody said anything about coming back again... :wink:  Nothing fancy, no clever navigational tricks, just a straightforward launch to LKO followed by a standard transfer burn.  (The only thing that's even slighly tricky is carefully husbanding the electricity supply, since it has no solar panels or batteries.  But even that wasn't much of a much, it landed with about half of the capsule's EC still remaining.  Most of its EC usage was muscling that big booster into a gravity turn during takeoff.)

Not setting any particular score records (other folks can get more negative than this)... just wanted to see how few parts I could do it with.

I'm likely going to give this one a go in 1.3.  For fun, here's one I did a while back:

126 parts, could easily pare it down now with autostruts and some optimization of the chemical rocket stage and lifter

Flyby of every body in the game.  Landed on every planet except Duna/Eve/Tylo/Laythe, safe return to Kerbin.

145 points - 126 parts, gives me a score of -19 if I'm calculating correctly.

The idea was to use only ions once out of Kerbin SOI.

Launch and Mun landing

Minmus landing

Eve flyby and Gilly landing

Moho landing, Ike landing, Duna flyby

Dres, Laythe flyby, Bop landing

Pol and Vall landing, Tylo flyby

Eeloo landing, Kerbin return safe

Edited by Jetski

Working on this - Technically 190-something parts on launch, but most of this is from the optional sea launch platform. In orbit, only 78 parts. So far done Minmus and gilly. 78-20 = 58....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.