KSP VR editor (and IVA/Flight?)

Im currently working with my university that has 10 HTC Vives for development work at the immersive media observatory, it is designed for alternate approaches to teaching using vr, there is already an educational KSP but how about a VR tsp, I can see what changes need to be made to the ui beyond just gead trakcing, it would need the unity VRTK integrated and the menus re-working for motion control compatibility then it would need the ability to walk (and teleport) around the VAB/ SPH with a height scroll in the vab but other than that a very tiltbrushesque interface with a left hand scroll wheel selector to browse menus and a right hand pointer to select parts with mebe a left to right to browse categories and up down to search in subdirectories then a point select with the right hand via the trigger which spawns the part on the end of your hand, the ability to freely rotate it is important too before then snapping, needs the ability to select offset and rotate tools for which you should be able to reach in and grab the dials to adjust, after that all that is left is to make sure general flight is not nausea-inducing, other than that the ability to check staging maybe on one hand and stage its part with a button press, in IVA its pretty much there already, its simple mouse movement but maybe a  bit of depth movement by freeing up the camera movement a bit/possible integration with the free iva if that is working reliably, I'm pretty sure I can test and make all this work and my uni will support it as it is regarding enhanced teaching but I have no idea where to start with ripping into the ksp UI and/or whether it needs a total rebuild or whether a simple overlay would do, also gotta look at making sure you can get full 3d which is proabbly the easiest bit tbh. I'm looking for any help and support that could get this project on the road and/or someone with some ksp plugin experience since i have none bar part modding, thanks for any help you can lend and I look forward to this ever becoming a reality!

Edited by amankd

Question 1 for KSP in VR: you are in the VAB, looking at a rocket you are building. You turn your head to the right. What is the correct thing for the game to show you and what value is added by it being VR?

(I agree with Red Iron Crown above, I can't read your question in its current format so I've assumed it's yet another thread about VR in KSP. There are many.)

VR would work well for IVA, but not much else. For most of the game, you are a free floating camera looking at something that you rotate around. Like eddiew says, if you turn your head to the right in the VAB, or map, or external camera in flight, you would look away from the craft.

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

Question 1 for KSP in VR: you are in the VAB, looking at a rocket you are building. You turn your head to the right. What is the correct thing for the game to show you and what value is added by it being VR?

(I agree with Red Iron Crown above, I can't read your question in its current format so I've assumed it's yet another thread about VR in KSP. There are many.)

ever used tilt brush? full 3d painting software, you might look away from the craft but you can then move around it (either by walking or teleporting, the vab is already a manifold shape so there are no exta models so you just get to walk around and through you model to build it, none of this heavy mouse work to be able to see a specific bit to attach you just more around it easy like, for external flight is the only place it is less useful but you would still be able to move around the craft inflight even albeit somewhat dissembodied

17 minutes ago, amankd said:

ever used tilt brush? full 3d painting software, you might look away from the craft but you can then move around it (either by walking or teleporting, the vab is already a manifold shape so there are no exta models so you just get to walk around and through you model to build it, none of this heavy mouse work to be able to see a specific bit to attach you just more around it easy like, for external flight is the only place it is less useful but you would still be able to move around the craft inflight even albeit somewhat dissembodied

Better answer than many :)  How do you choose where to set the camera, given that you can't just stick to the floor? How does this work vessels in flight?

In editor in the sphere it would be easy just walk on a planar floor at the height you can reach the full volume of the sphere, in the van it would need a scroll system to move up and down the van, in flight the only tricky part would be binding control keys, maybe the ability to use a controller as a joystick with the trigger pressed? Or maybe use of the trackpad as a d pad, can use the grip buttons to throttle up and down and maybe a menus on one hand for action groups and other in flight functions

Thing is I can see pretty much all of how it would work in game but can't see where to start to implement it lol

I think your problem is that you're trying to take a world-in-hand perspective and turn it into viewer-in-world. Most likely you'd have to tear into the sourcecode at a very low level to change the camera mechanics, and without that, the VR experience is a horrible contradiction of head movements that don't connect to the way the scene shifts - or head movements that get ignored because there is no sane translation of "look left". If you did solve the camera issue, there would be the question of "why do I want to look away from my vessel?" The easy rotation around the ship is now multiple steps of turn head, teleport, look back to see if I'm at the correct angle, repeat. It becomes cumbersome to find the correct viewpoint, and seems unlikely to deliver an experience you'd want. My feeling is that visual immersion for KSP is better provided by a large monitor than by a VR headset.

Most VR games are either planned to be VR, or were fundamentally first person and therefore easily adapted. Skyrim, for instance, works very well as a VR concept because you were always a viewer within the world. Diablo III however... who would ask for that in VR? 

First of all (not trying to be rude) [snip]

Sorry, I had to. :P 

Second of all, I think that VR is only good for IVA. It would be better to make VR just for that, since it would be quicker and easier than making KSP entirely VR compatible. I also remember that a long time ago, a youtuber (HOCgaming I think) did a KSP VR video with an Oculus Rift, so it's not impossible.

Edited by Vanamonde
Please try harder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.