1.3 atmospheric heating

It is possible to survive re-entry on every body with an atmosphere (with an apoapsis of the lowest possible orbit in the f12 menu and without physics warp) (except eve) with just a mk1 command pod and a mk16 parachute. Jool is tricky but possible (I did it with a periapsis of 170k.) On kerbin you can go from the edge of Kerbins SOI and survive re-entry. Also, if you use physics warp a part will cool for some reason.

The heating needs to be increased to (In my opinion) the point that a heatsheild is needed for LKO re-entries.

Edited by zeta function

From my experience, my capsules always explodes during re entry from orbit. Increasing the heat can be done in the difficulty settings up to 120% i think. If that is not enough, i think you can change the config files but im nit sure of that.

20 hours ago, NSEP said:

From my experience, my capsules always explodes during re entry from orbit. Increasing the heat can be done in the difficulty settings up to 120% i think. If that is not enough, i think you can change the config files but im nit sure of that.

How steep is your re-entry?. I put my periapsis at about 35-40k above the surface for kerbin.

1 minute ago, zeta function said:

How steep is your re-entry?. I put my periapsis at about 35-40k above the surface for kerbin.

Mine is always below the surface, so that makes sense, i want to get down quickly.

Before you used to be able to go straight down (eg from eeloo orbit), slow down and survive. The new aero fixed that because that's way too OP.

Also the Eve reentry effects begin as soon as you enter permanent physics warp which is distracting :(

aiming for a periapsis of between 30K and 35K seems to be a sweet spot for re-entry. low enough to get me into the denser atmosphere quickly, but a shallow enough angle that the craft has time to slow down.

Another trick...if you place your de-orbit burn maneuver node over that giant crater on the far side of Kerbin from the KSC it usually drops you pretty close to home on splashdown. I think of that crater as a target and usually place my node in the trailing half of that circle to avoid under-shooting and landing in the mountains outside West of KSC

On 7/8/2017 at 9:54 AM, Tyko said:

aiming for a periapsis of between 30K and 35K seems to be a sweet spot for re-entry. low enough to get me into the denser atmosphere quickly, but a shallow enough angle that the craft has time to slow down.

Another trick...if you place your de-orbit burn maneuver node over that giant crater on the far side of Kerbin from the KSC it usually drops you pretty close to home on splashdown. I think of that crater as a target and usually place my node in the trailing half of that circle to avoid under-shooting and landing in the mountains outside West of KSC

This has to be the best reentry profile I've seen. Some mention the crater, but none offer anything like your bits about the crater being a target. It's a little idea, but it's just the idea I needed to narrow down my descents to KSC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.