This game is great

Zeffy

Yeah, there's a lot more to say.

The idea is great but the base game abstracts a lot of detail that I would prefer and makes spaceflight way too easy. Also, the micro solar system making speisplains so ridiculously easy is terrible. Thankfully we have mods which actually make the game great.

Game = Not bad, not bad, great start but you all settled.

Game + mods = Great!

2 hours ago, regex said:

Yeah, there's a lot more to say.

The idea is great but the base game abstracts a lot of detail that I would prefer and makes spaceflight way too easy. Also, the micro solar system making speisplains so ridiculously easy is terrible. Thankfully we have mods which actually make the game great.

Game = Not bad, not bad, great start but you all settled.

Game + mods = Great!

Yes, I agree the stock game is very good, but since you can customize the game to how you want to play through mods, it is a great game. 

22 hours ago, Zeffy said:

Is there anything else to say?

Agreed..I think the designers chose the right level of complexity for the out-of-the-box game. Today stock feels really simple...now, but I've been playing for a year and recall the when I first started everything was a real challenge. So, I'm glad there are mods to allow me to selectively make the game more challenging (Life Support, 2.5x scaling, etc), but I think that if the base game were more difficult we might lose players who get too frustrated to put in the initial work of learning how to fly rockets.

19 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

Hey, now that I think of it, has anyone built an SSTO in RSS/RO before?

Yep i have, its pretty easy actually. All you need is an aerospike rocket engine and 10-11km/s of Delta-V, get to orbit loke any other rocket and boom done!

I think that the difficulty level of KSP is pretty much perfect. I know that some purists would prefer it to be more realistic and punishing to the player, but if it had been significantly less  accessible to a typical player, then the game would not have had anything like the success that it has and mostly likely development of it would have ceased years ago.

KSP isn't easy; there are plenty of players that never get beyond Kerbin orbit, let alone doing an Eve return mission or doing the Jool 5. For those that want a harder game there are plenty of mods to adjust it to their hearts content.

Sure for people that "get it" the game can feel very easy (slap something together in the VAB and head off to Eeloo as if you're taking the bus into town) but that is with the benefit of either a strong knowledge of the principles of space flight, or the experience of playing the game.

Fundamentally KSP is a game, not an education tool.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:08 PM, NSEP said:

Yep i have, its pretty easy actually. All you need is an aerospike rocket engine and 10-11km/s of Delta-V, get to orbit loke any other rocket and boom done!

If it's all that hard, somethings wrong.  Elon Musk claims the first stage of the Falcon 9 would be able to get to orbit on its own (if it weren't carrying a second stage + cargo) and I'd suspect that it isn't uncommon for two-stage rockets (at least those getting a bit more than half the delta-v in the first stage.  It shouldn't be that uncommon).

Having a SSTO that can carry worthwhile cargo - that's a much harder thing to do.

18 hours ago, wumpus said:

Having a SSTO that can carry worthwhile cargo - that's a much harder thing to do.

Yes, exactly. Falcon 9 first stage would need a payload adapter, payload fairing, and all the other trimmings, plus payload, to make an SSTO cargo carrier. It would be terribly inefficient. Making an SSTO is fairly easy, making a useful SSTO is very hard.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:32 PM, Tyko said:

.I think the designers chose the right level of complexity for the out-of-the-box game. [snip] when I first started everything was a real challenge.

Yeah, its pretty easy getting to orbit now, but when I started everything seemed impossible until I did it. For me the difficulty inspired me to learn and try harder. I talked 3 friends into downloading the demo shortly after I started playing. One made it to space but never made orbit. The other two gave up on the launch pad. "This is too hard." They went back to their point and shoot games. 

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

I talked 3 friends into downloading the demo shortly after I started playing. One made it to space but never made orbit. The other two gave up on the launch pad. "This is too hard." They went back to their point and shoot games. 

Probably a common experience.  

I see KSP as a niche game.  As expected, many people don't even 'get it'  while a small group love it.  

And if your friends don't share your love for KSP be comprehensive.  No one is perfect. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.