A WW2 German style submarine

After finishing the mig, I quit playing kerbal for a few weeks until I came back and made this submarine. Not based on any specific model, not a replica of any kind, just a working submarine made to look a little like a german one. I had some serious trouble with getting my computer to actually render the thing, I don't know why but it seems my pc is dying, half the time it's at 100% disk usage, no viruses or malware, and none of the tutorials online help me out with anything, but anyway, here's the ship.

7A05CC761564EC48EAF18730A25DE6D18589110B

Using no propellor mods because they're too easy in my opinion, I made the motor of the submarine with infernal robotics and some control surfaces. This actually ran me into some problems when piloting the sub. Each rotor is set at a speed of 10 with acceleration of 2 and spins in an opposite direction to the other in order to not have the thing spinning like crazy underwater. To get the sub moving I set the speed in the RPM GUI ingame to 5, making the rotors spin at a speed of 50, any higher and the control surfaces break off. When resurfacing I have to turn off the rotors lest they break on surface, I found that going up at 10 degrees and cutting the rotors at a depth of 100 meters usually curbs the issue. At the surface I usually run it at a speed of 30. This makes it so the rotors don't break off and I can move at a steady rate over the water.

AF50A22AC835DE4B29E519AC0C38857DC2DC154A

Have some pictures with scatterer for looks!

4C0E48FB5432CDD89859FB1DC72DC69E03223AE2

B8EFDB65CEB636784340B66856D5F93A2B3C9744

C2D87F21D15C272078599D2B491CCBAE767EDBD4

I get the sub into the water using vessel mover which is why I have the struts on the side to keep it up on the launchpad.

I cannot film this or even open anything up anymore because my pc is not letting me. I havent the slightest clue why it's doing this but every time I try to play anything or do anything it just doesnt work or loads so slow it might as well not have worked. I'm going to try reinstalling windows but after that I won't have any of these builds and I'm thinking I'm just going to quit playing this game. I can't take this any longer.

Edited by Number 16 Bus Shelter

Very nice! As for the slow performance of your computer, it might have to do with the part count of the submarine or maybe the graphics mods you're using—I encountered this issue a lot when I made my naval ships, since they came it at around 800-1100 parts.

6 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Very nice! As for the slow performance of your computer, it might have to do with the part count of the submarine or maybe the graphics mods you're using—I encountered this issue a lot when I made my naval ships, since they came it at around 800-1100 parts.

No, the performance issue is not with any specific game, it's the computer, might be a faulty disk drive however because as I'm learning this one is a hit or miss kind of thing.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:46 AM, Joseph Kerman said:

Do you have a GPU? If so, use a discrete one if you haven't done so already. If not, then you are already set. I also heard AMD has their K10 processors that will do wonders (hopefully).

I've got a 1060 and an i7, those aren't the issues by a long shot. From what I can gather it's either the disk drive or the ram but to be sure I"m going to be upgrading both along with the motherboard as soon as I can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.