A Runway that DOESN'T Erupt like a Volcano?

TheKurgan

Simple question. Is there a way to mod KSP so the runway doesn't explode and erupt as if a massive explosion occurred below it's surface?

I mean, ok, I understand the runway getting damaged and becoming unusable until it is repaired, but near volcanic like explosions?

Is this moddable?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

I think he is talking about the destruction effects. 

Yes, once in a while, I have a less than perfect touch-down with one of my massive OPT space planes, and I damage the runway... Then the bleeping runway ERUPTS.... raises up like an explosion happened below the surface, ENGULFS 30 - 100% of my plane and rips it to a million pieces... turning what would have been a bad landing, but most likely a survivable one, into a complete loss.

Even Kerbals would have figured out that there was a design flaw in their runways by now.

I don't want to ease the physics, or anything like that, if you have a poor landing, there should be some consequence... but not 100% annihilation.

Spoiler

Originally, Kerbals were not going to build a runway here.
They were just pouring liquid concrete into a tectonic fault between KSC and Campus Martius to stop its cracking.

But at some point the concrete mass overflowed from the crack and they could not pour more.
Then Kerbals decided: let's use this nice concrete bar as a runway.
They painted it and put lamps aside. Now it was really ready.

According to the version history, the runway was complete on 17 May 2012, v.0.15.
On 12 Feb 2013 v0.18.3 an earthquake damaged the sunway, making it unaccessible.
A month later, on 16 Mar 2013 v0.19 the runway has been repaired. Sloping edges were added because originally Kerbals hadn't thought that rovers have wheels.

So, every time you crash into the runway, you awake the tectonic fault and make it erupt.
Then Kerbals pour the concrete into the same fault again and again, because it's really usable Kerbal way to build runways.
(Look at the island runway to see what happens if they try to build a runway in a human way)

Edited by kerbiloid

I tend to have my massive ships with high wing loading land on the grass next to the runway, then taxi back up for 100% recovery.  The landing gear and the whole plane will easily survive sink rates that detonate the runway.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.