Airlock decompression

Hi guys!

Note before I get started: this is for my own personal use only. I do not plan on distributing this.

I would like to make it so that when I play with @linuxgurugamer 's dang it mod and Kerbal Krash System by @EnzoMeertens, any airlock that gets damaged/fails has a chance to to lead to decompression, which while in space/on a planet like mars would cause the kerbal inside to be ripped out and thrown away from the craft, similar to what EVA parachutes and Ejections seats also by @linuxgurugamer does, the only difference being that this would be in an uncontrolled manner and not include parachutes (especially since the guy would be in space/on another planet most of the time). I have 2 questions about this.

1. is this even possible with the current KSP system?

2. How would I go about making a config file that would cause this to happen? The only coding experience I have so far is editing stock part configs, but I am slowly learning (mostly by doing stuff like this for my own enjoyment :D).

Thxs!

15 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Hi guys!

Note before I get started: this is for my own personal use only. I do not plan on distributing this.

I would like to make it so that when I play with @linuxgurugamer 's dang it mod and Kerbal Krash System by @EnzoMeertens, any airlock that gets damaged/fails has a chance to to lead to decompression, which while in space/on a planet like mars would cause the kerbal inside to be ripped out and thrown away from the craft, similar to what EVA parachutes and Ejections seats also by @linuxgurugamer does, the only difference being that this would be in an uncontrolled manner and not include parachutes (especially since the guy would be in space/on another planet most of the time). I have 2 questions about this.

2. How would I go about making a config file that would cause this to happen? The only coding experience I have so far is editing stock part configs, but I am slowly learning (mostly by doing stuff like this for my own enjoyment :D).

Thxs!

It is definitely possible, but you cannot do it with configs. This would require some coding because it while similar to the ejection from Eva parachutes, it would have to be tied in to dang it, and obviously not have parachutes.

It would also need to be tied in to the Kerbal craft system.

Why would you do this to your poor kerbals?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It is definitely possible, but you cannot do it with configs. This would require some coding because it while similar to the ejection from Eva parachutes, it would have to be tied in to dang it, and obviously not have parachutes.

It would also need to be tied in to the Kerbal craft system.

Why would you do this to your poor kerbals?

I wanted to make my own version of The Martian (but on the mun since I cant get duna no matter how hard I try :(), and since I cant cause my airlock to be blown off the base like in the book The Martian, I was going to just throw my Kerbal out of the airlock, then use c4 from KIS to blow up the airlock off-screen.

Where would I start coding/moding? What part of it do you think would be easiest to do on my own? (I have been asking the community for lots of help on lots of things lately so its time to do something on my own lol. 

Edited by nascarlaser1

Poor things.  To know what's in store for them :D

Anyway, what would have to happen is that DangIt! would have to have code added to talk to EVA Parachutes, and eVA Parachutes would have to be modified to NOT have a paracute on the kerbal

Not an insignificant task

22 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I cant get duna no matter how hard I try :(

Sorry for the difficulty!  Some thoughts on that in spoiler section below, since it's kinda completely off-topic about your question here:

Spoiler

Was looking at your earlier Duna threads.  Saw some here and here and here.

It's clear that you're already pretty comfortable going to the Mun and back, and that's great news!  :)  Because it actually turns out that Duna's not much more of an engineering challenge than the Mun is.  It only takes around 100-150 m/s more dV to go to Duna than it does to go to the Mun.  It takes more dV to return from Duna than from the Mun, but then, it takes a lot less dV to land on Duna than the Mun, so it tends to balance out.  Overall, a return mission from Duna will need a bit more dV than the Mun will, but not hugely more.

The first challenge is navigation:  you want to have a good launch window to keep the dV requirements down.  Just use http://ksp.olex.biz and that pretty much takes care of it right there.  My impression from reading what you've written is that interplanetary navigation isn't your major stumbling block, so I won't go into much detail there.  Note that you don't have to hit the window precisely-- as long as you're reasonably close to it, it's good enough.  Being a bit off the window (like a week or two) just means that you need a bit more dV for the burn, and/or you arrive at the destination going a bit faster, nothing major.

You mentioned having trouble with docking.  That can definitely be tricky, but it's a really, really handy skill set to develop in KSP.  It's worth practicing at.  If you're interested, here's an illustrated docking tutorial that I did quite a while back.  It was several KSP versions ago, but it's still relevant (the parts of KSP I talk about haven't changed since it was written).

FWIW, you can do a Duna mission perfectly well without docking (just like you can do a Mun mission that way), so you can skip docking if you want.  It just opens up a few more options, is all.

If you want to go to Duna without docking, then I'd strongly suggest keeping it very small and simple, at least for your first mission until you get the hang of it.  Think about your first Mun mission in a new career:  probably your lander's really small and light, with just a Mk1 command pod and some science instruments, and a few tons of fuel, right?  Same deal.   A simple, land-and-return-with-no-docking Duna mission looks a lot like that.  If you send an engineer as your crew, you can simplify things because you only need one main parachute, because your Duna lander can also be your Kerbin lander when you return home, and he can re-pack the chute after using it on Duna.  The lander can be very simple for Duna:  one Mk16 chute will do, though you'll also want a couple of the little radial drogues set to a high opening altitude so you don't faceplant before slowing enough for the Mk16 to open.  The idea is that you don't try to have enough chutes to slow for a safe landing-- just enough to slow you to 30 or 40 m/s, which one chute can do just fine.  Then you just use a brief burst of retro-thrust from the engine right before touching down.

If you've got a good transfer window, and if your lander is very small and light, then you can probably get away with aerobraking at Duna without needing to use a heat shield.  Which simplifies the lander design, since you can save the heat shield for the bottom of your command pod that you use when you return to Kerbin (when you'll definitely need it!)

So, basically, a Duna-land-and-return mission can look almost exactly like a Mun-land-and-return mission.  Heck, if your Mun lander design has an extra few hundred m/s of dV to spare, you may actually be able to use your Mun craft to go to Duna.  :)  You just need a bit more dV on the lander, is all.

Lastly, in case you're not already aware:  one of the nice little features that they've recently added to KSP is the "set orbit" option on the cheat menu.  So if you want to practice, you can just put your lander straight into Duna orbit from the launchpad to test it out.

11 minutes ago, Snark said:

Sorry for the difficulty!  Some thoughts on that in spoiler section below, since it's kinda completely off-topic about your question here:

Hide contents

-snip-

Thxs! since it also off topic, spoiler below

Spoiler

My biggest issue with going to duna is the fact that I need to use maneuver nodes (which I cant at all sadly :(, even with the ingame tutorial). Is there either

A. A mod that sets the maneuver nodes for me allowing me to just have to worry about executing them or

B. A way to go to duna without actually using maneuver nodes?

Thxs!

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Poor things.  To know what's in store for them :D

Anyway, what would have to happen is that DangIt! would have to have code added to talk to EVA Parachutes, and eVA Parachutes would have to be modified to NOT have a paracute on the kerbal

Not an insignificant task

so no easy way for noob  to do it on his own without learning more coding? ah oh well. Thxs!

3 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Thxs! since it also off topic, spoiler below

I'll just respond privately at this point, don't want to hijack your thread.  :wink:  Or feel free to post in Gameplay Questions, and I can respond there publicly.

On 10-7-2017 at 3:34 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

Hi guys!

Thxs!

Kerbal Krash System would be suitable for the trigger of the decompression. In a KKS-mod (a mod that uses KKS) you can listen for "damage" events and react accordingly. 

Do you want to learn how to do this yourself or do you want a fully working example? 

5 minutes ago, EnzoMeertens said:

Kerbal Krash System would be suitable for the trigger of the decompression. In a KKS-mod (a mod that uses KKS) you can listen for "damage" events and react accordingly. 

Do you want to learn how to do this yourself or do you want a fully working example? 

can you give me an simple version of one so that I can then expand on it using the basic one as an example? I'm good at editing/expanding on premade stuff like config files but trying to type out brandy new things  gets confusing since I'm still learning how to code. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

can you give me an simple version of one so that I can then expand on it using the basic one as an example? I'm good at editing/expanding on premade stuff like config files but trying to type out brandy new things  gets confusing since I'm still learning how to code. Thanks!

I'll come up with an easy and clear example for you to work with.

As mentioned before in this thread, it won't be using configs. It'll be writing your own KSP plugin.
No need to worry, though. You're playing KSP, I am sure you're eager to learn!

Edit: I'll post the example first thing in the morning.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Just now, EnzoMeertens said:

As mentioned before in this thread, it won't be using configs. It'll be writing your own KSP plugin.

thxs! what exactly is the difference between a config and a plugin?

15 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

thxs! what exactly is the difference between a config and a plugin?

What configuration files do depends on the plugin. A plugin can read configuration files to set certain parameters. 

Example 1: Part configuration files as used by KSP itself are used to set certain parameters of the parts: what model to use, the name and description of the part, the crash tolerance of the part, how you can attach other parts to this part, etc. But the actual effect of this configuration, the parsing of the data to something in the game, is handled by the "Module" (Plugin) called ModuleCommand (amongst others). This is also described in the configuration file. Snippet from cupola.cfg:

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleCommand
  minimumCrew = 1
}

This describes that this part needs to use the ModuleCommand module (plugin) and it needs a minimum crew of one Kerbal to operate.

Example 2: Kerbal Krash System deforms parts. Parts can be soft or hard. How soft/pliable the parts are (malleability), is a variable (because this isn't a science, it's based on "what feels right". And can be configured using the configuration file and will then be used in the Kerbal Krash System plugin to multiply damages and deformations with this malleability variable.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

9 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

Edit: I'll post the example first thing in the morning.

I've made an example for you, which you can find here.

This includes the source code and a build of both Kerbal Krash System and the Decompression plugin. Copying the GameData folder should just make it all work.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:42 AM, EnzoMeertens said:

I've made an example for you, which you can find here.

This includes the source code and a build of both Kerbal Krash System and the Decompression plugin. Copying the GameData folder should just make it all work.

Was I supposed to put the entire folder named Kerbal krash system decompression inside my game data folder? I put everything in it but it kept giving me a n error message on start up of ksp and crashing ksp.

Also, does it matter that I'm using 1.2.2?

1 hour ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@nascarlaser1 I can reproduce your error on loading in version 1.2.2

On 17-7-2017 at 3:46 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

Was I supposed to put the entire folder named Kerbal krash system decompression inside my game data folder? I put everything in it but it kept giving me a n error message on start up of ksp and crashing ksp.

Also, does it matter that I'm using 1.2.2?

What does the error log say (search for "Exception").

It's probably because you're on 1.2.2. Kerbal Krash System is developed for 1.3.

Edited by EnzoMeertens
Version.

21 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

What does the error log say (search for "Exception").

It's probably because you're on 1.2.2. Kerbal Krash System is developed for 1.3.

I don't have my ksp with me today (I will tomorrow or over the weekend). Is there a way to adapt the code for 1.2.2? I use the mod itself in 1.2.2 and it works fine.

9 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

You just have to change a little bit of syntax and recompile the source using KSP 1.2.2 .dlls. 

where would I learn to do this? The only coding I've done is editing variables in config files, and filling in a blank template for a lander can (I took the mk2 lander can's config file, deleted all the variables, and then used that as a template to make my own lander can code.

So you could do that, or you could use an older version found here for 1.2.2. 

https://github.com/EnzoMeertens/KerbalKrashSystem/blob/master/Previous versions/KerbalKrashSystem (0.3.7) 2016-11-06.zip

If you want to try it yourself, you need a compiler. Not an online one, but an actual program. You can find more specific instructions on the web, and there are basic plugin writing tutorials pinned up on the top of the subforum. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.