KSP Challenge: Landing on Duna!

Darth Badie

Yeah second reading & that "anytime" adds confusion. 

Reason I think I still end with a "landing specific" interpretation is how each meaning would affect the challenge. 

1) Landing specific interpretation means the bulk of the challenge is "land something on Duna" - which is also the title of the challenge. Forcing an unpowered landing is a wrinkle but not one that substantially flavours the challenge. 

2) Entire mission interpretation changes the meat of the challenge from "landing something on Duna" to "get a payload into orbit on LF and/or SF only". Because that's the trickier part.

Now clearly 1) makes for a simpler challenge, maybe even too simple but in context of a series which has seen us cross an ocean in a plane...

2 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

in context of a series which has seen us cross an ocean in a plane...

Rather, in context of a series that aims to engage the whole of the community. That means easy challenges for the newbies and hard challenges for the veterans.

34 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Rather, in context of a series that aims to engage the whole of the community. That means easy challenges for the newbies and hard challenges for the veterans.

Wholeheartedly agree, I didn't intend my statement to come across as critical (though see how I badly phrased) rather I intended to highlight a continuity of approach.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, Badie said:

Take off from Kerbin, prepare to travel to Duna, land on Duna without oxidizer of any kind at anytime.Stock only, parachutes,  Solar Panels and RTGs are allowed. You will have two weeks to submit your entries :wink:

Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

@Badie, could you please clarify a little bit what this means?  If you look through this thread, you'll see a lot of confusion about what "land on Duna without oxidizer of any kind" means. For example, does it mean:

1) No oxidizer of any kind ever, including air-breathing engines (which get oxidizer from the atmosphere) and SRBs (which incorporate oxidizer in their fuel)? That would mean that ions, monoprop, and nukes are the only propulsion allowed.

2) No air-breathing engines but SRBs are allowed?

3) Air breathing engines and SRB's are allowed, but no LFO engines?

4) Everything is allowed until you're ready to land on Duna, but after that one of the first three choices takes effect? (as @MiniMatt suggested)

5) Something else??

Any clarification would be very helpful!

Edited by herbal space program

I'll try to send a rover using only solid fuel and monopropellant

Monopropellant will only be used for corrections, e.g. the last 30m/s to circularize, a hand full of m/s to correct the transfer burn, a bit for a mid-course correction, a little bit for landing.

Forget that, I did SRB only!

Edited by Physics Student

2 hours ago, Badie said:

Ok I hope this helps: 

"anytime" means: no oxidizer on board  throughout the trip

You  can use: Liquid Fuel, Solid Fuel, Intake Air, Monopropellant, EVA Fuel, Xenon Gas, and Electric Charge

:wink:

Thanks! That's much more clear, and it makes me happy because it means my LF-only space plane qualifies!  :) I've already gotten it to LKO using no oxidizer with a TWR of >0.5 and like 3200m/s dV on the nukes, so I think I can actually get there and back too....

I flew a little Rover to Duna on SRBs only!

Here're just some nice pictures. For more details, check the Imgur link below!

CmbkkIQ.png

CeuXVgG.png

nVSYYRR.png

JYFnjg6.png

QqcM01s.png

Full imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/HkhC5

Craft file (MechJeb and KER required): https://kerbalx.com/Physics_Student/Duna-Rover

Edited by Physics Student

Lol.

I sent a probe-plane to Duna. Launched via SRBs (in nice clusters) and transferred via an LV-N. Finished with Xenon and *Tried* to land using only the plane's lift. Turns out, wheel physics are still a little wonky at high velocities... So I used the "emergency" parachute.

Still works though.

Will try to upload video tomorrow. I wasn't able to do so today...

Went for a relatively simple build in the end, resisting temptation to piggy-back multiple comms satellites as I typically might.

I'm a teensy bit proud of the rover delivery method; it's over-engineered for Duna but works a treat on Eve, so if you have a spare 3:40s you may want to watch Curious George land on the red planet:

I haven't built this small in a while, only 42.6 tonnes. I'll post pics of the "Laughing Gas" , no oxidizer -> No ox -> Nox -> nitrous oxide -> laughing gas ... get it?, later.

I'm going to have to rig up a return variant.

Edited by steuben

I actually got around to doing this challenge. It was fun too.. since tbh I havent gone interplanetary in like a year. :blush:

To spice up the challenge, i didnt use liquid fuel either. One stage was solid fuel, one monoprop and the final stage was xenon. During the trip i actually attempted a gravity assist (because screw burning for that long with xenon) and got a double assist on the Mun. At the end unfortunatly I did not have enough parachutes/ no landing legs, so the solar panels fell off on landing

Album a/CFByB will appear when post is submitted

Edited by Bubbadevlin
freakin imgur changes lol

I'm going to have to learn that unterminated-struts-as-landing-legs trick @Foxster :)

Re the fuel cells, it's not like the Ox is being *directly* used for propulsion - I'd be minded to consider it in the same vein as the implicit oxidising agent in solid fuel, or in the air sucked in by jet engines. Ie. if it's not being splurged out the back of an engine in some form it's fine.

That said, perusal of this very thread will confirm my understanding of rules to be vague at best :)

Just now, MiniMatt said:

I'm going to have to learn that unterminated-struts-as-landing-legs trick @Foxster :)

Oh, there's nothing particularly clever to it. Since (I think) 1.3 you have been able to use the offset tool to move both ends of struts and fuel ducts. 

38 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Oh, there's nothing particularly clever to it. Since (I think) 1.3 you have been able to use the offset tool to move both ends of struts and fuel ducts. 

Now I have real incentive to update! (Must resist. Must wait to 1.3.1.... so many mods... so many... once and done... until its not. sigh.) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.