What would be your reaction to a nuclear holocaust?

cratercracker

21 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Kong is what a commander must be.

We are talking about the guy that swaps his flight helmet for a cowboy hat, right?  The cowboy hat he keeps in the safe with the nuclear war plans?

34 minutes ago, razark said:

We are talking about the guy that swaps his flight helmet for a cowboy hat, right?

His had his earphones on, and probably had no plans to eject, carrying two 20-30 Mt bombs deep inside the hostile territory.

34 minutes ago, razark said:

The cowboy hat he keeps in the safe with the nuclear war plans?

Watching Memphis Belle and looking at spaceport and aviation rituals, I don't see something outstanding here. Pilots are very natural guys...

But look how he controls himself understanding that a nuclear war begins.
A minute of weakness with sweaty trembling hands, which he rubs against trousers. Uncertain voice with weak hope when he asks the radio operator to ask the HQ again.
But a minute later - the resolve of a doomed, clear and fast commands, self-control. The hat is just a placebo, a way to keep the pants dry.

When the plane gets hit and he realized that the primary objective is failed and they are losing fuel, he doesn't panic or so, but continues flight with the secondary objective.

When he realized that the bay door is damaged, a sequence of commands trying different ways to solve the problem.
And when all of them fail - he gets himself into the bay to repair the damaged circuit (so, he knows his full plane best and can do this task, which is the most important at the moment).

He doesn't "get mad and jump on the bomb to fly down", he was just sitting on top because the damaged circuit was exactly there. And he ordered th co-pilot to continue the procedure while he is working.
And suddenly the target appears to be beneath exactly right after he had repaired the circuit, so he just had no time to get off (you can see his attempt to catch the bay celing before he falls.)

The episode when he falls down on bomb with the hat in his hand - is not his madness.
It's just a gesture of despair, what else should he do in such situation except showing off?

So, Mr. Kong is a true commander of an aircraft/spacecraft crew.

Edited by kerbiloid

During the blast, i will try to protect myself against a wall or something. If that works, and i survive the blast, i will leave a note behind at home and leave my home, to become a wanderer and relive my life in a post-apocalyptic world. I would not like to hear from family again, unless they read my note and find me. 

The large bright in the day sky

Lightning the path of death,

The heat burns off the skin..

The blast that turns us into dust..

The fallout we inhale..

The shockwave that pushes us to the end..

Our family,

Our country,

Our friends,

Our thoughts and everything we ever did, turned into nothing, into radioactive mud and dust..

Yeah, the end of the world is kinda edgy.

Due to some weird coincidence, a wave of radiation with the exact frequency needed to launch every nuclear missile on Earth has hit Earth. World leaders try to activate the missiles' self-destruct sequences but invisible flying octopuses from outer space have intercepted all of the self-destruct commands.

I would see a large flash and look on in horror as a mushroom cloud expanded above nearby Iowa City. There are thousands of warheads, but, seriously? Who would waste one on a tiny town such as mine?

However, I'd be brainwashed by the moment. As I watched mushroom clouds grow all around me, I'd run back into the house and go to YouTube for the last few seconds of its existence and cue up "The Final Countdown." I'd say something dramatic, call a few choice people and tell them a few choice things, before staring up at the moon (if it was out) and say "I'm sorry," tears streaming down my face.

Then the song would end. I'd restart it and think "Huh, maybe that missile's launch was delayed. It happens all the time in the space industry." I'd redo the former two paragraphs two more times before realizing that nobody would waste a nuke on a town of 3,000 people. I would then proceed to facepalm and feel really stupid.

Then, I'd try to not die and probably fail. Even if I survived, my dream would be dead - mostly everyone is dead. Cape Canaveral? Destroyed. I will not go to space today. Nor the next day. Nor in the next few decades... or maybe ever...

what I'd probably do....

uh,  die.   

most likely... it's not like a pan-global nuke-spam superfest offers much room for barter, is it?

now, if the question were "what would I do if kinda-doomsday scenario where only the most ingenious and technically inclined individuals would survive in the resulting junk-wars frontier world?" that'd open up a gigantic new can of radioactive mutant worms

Edited by Moach

i think i was meant for a charred wasteland. im not cut out for this so called civilized existence. id actually welcome a nuclear war. i dont think anyone would waste a bomb on this useless little island off the cost of alaska. so survival is definitely an option for me.

Edited by Nuke

On 16.07.2017 at 3:04 AM, Cabbink said:

I think i would get a popcorn bowl and watch the end.

Just a corn. Pop it will thirty minutes later.

On 16.07.2017 at 3:52 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Who would waste one on a tiny town such as mine?

You just don't know, what's beneath.

Spoiler

Umbrella_Boot_Hive_by_DIsaacs_3372213.jp

Celebrate the fact that most of us survived. A nuclear holocaust isn't as deadly as the media usually portrays. Also celebrate that I didn't die, since I am close to a military base...

After that... move on with my life. Maybe after a mass funeral for the dead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.