K.S.S Bongo

The first new generation ship of my navy, equipped with all the newest toys:

It is the first to be equipped with new custom built IR powered turrets.

Spoiler

9TYF7R9.png

I didn't really have a good idea on how to make any realistic looking turrets, so i just built something

To add to the overall realism, i also made some rangefinders to go with the main guns. They follow the guns rotation.

7juMQi3.png

It is also the first ship to be equipped with the new aircraft catapult that i originally developed for the Königsberg replica witch got corrupted due to a crash.

Spoiler

YDH8imp.png

The plane is a replica of the HE-60, witch was one of the float-planes used in the Königsberg.

I kinda wanted to make a replica of the F1M2 to go with the Bongo, but i felt it wouldn't have been worth the trouble.

Since i had already made a battleship based on the Missouri witch is my favorite warship, it made sense to base the second battleship on my second favorite one, The IJN Kongo.

I basically built the entire thing out of memory.

To save some time, i used the same hull that i had originally created for the K.S.S Great White II.

9cKaFrp.png

m9M79EW.png

I think the ship turned out pretty great overall.

Here is a bit of a demonstration video witch shows the main turrets and the catapult in action.

Making the turrets was pretty simple and straight forward.

The Catapult tough, that took a lot of work.

First i had to figure out how to make the float-plane itself work. It liked to flip on it's back during landing on water a lot before i was able to tweak it enough to make it able to land safely.

The takeoff is usually the hardest part, but not this time, as the floatplane can takeoff from water with no player input whatsoever :cool:.

Finally, there was the hardest part, making it work as a catapult plane. Tough the idea may be simple, it's hard to do it in KSP, as the catapult likes to wobble all around the place.

Strutting wont help, as that will just lock up all the IR parts. So, timing is key. if you wait till the end and release, it will slam nose first in to the ground, and release it too soon, and it will flip and crash.

I still don't really know the optimal timing, as it seems to be based on lag.

But, there are a couple of things that you need to remember:

1. the engine needs to be at full thrust before launch.

2. remember to quick-save.

Technical specks.

Armaments:

Main: 4x turrets with two 105mm howitzers.

Secondary: 10x Oerlikon Millenium turret.

AA: 2x Goalkeeper MK2, 12x 30mm chaingun.

Length: 138.8m.

Width: 13.3m.

Height: 26.0m.

Parts: 1069.

Mass: 1281 tons.

This time there won't be a download link as the newest update has killed the mighty Bongo before it ever got the chance to do any missions.

Spoiler

aWKrgJL.png

It explodes as soon as the physics kick in.

And there it is, the first look into a new kind of shipbuilding style. I hope you enjoy it :).

Link to main navy repository:

Edited by kapteenipirk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.