Craft exploding on load

I've had this issue multiple times before.

I load a craft that's in orbit, then all of a sudden it explodes and sends pieces everywhere OR it loads and parts of the craft explode rendering the ship dead in the water.  This is why I stopped playing KSP a few months ago and now that I've decided to give it another go with mods, I thought this time would be different.

What drives me nuts is that the craft that I had in orbit were PERFECTLY fine upon loading them in previous playthroughs, but all of a sudden they are now bombs. What changed? Why does KSP have such a difficult time with my designs? How can I avoid this in the future?

2AykcWX.png

78ZoDqV.png

fvxxLoG.png

1 hour ago, Kerbal101 said:

Does it happen if you disable "autostrut" from all parts and install KJR ?

I already am using KJR, but I also enable autostrut for every part... is that the reason why this happens?

@TeeGee Well, I observed that autostrut will actually cause lower mass parts to be pushed inside higher mass parts, which would cause resonation with default, "flexible" joints. So the craft can then suddenly disintegrate itself (reported) or twist into octopus (personally observed). You shouldn't actually need autostrut if you use KJR anyway, as KJR reinforces the smaller mass joints if they are under pressure.

On 2017-07-16 at 7:59 PM, Kerbal101 said:

@TeeGee Well, I observed that autostrut will actually cause lower mass parts to be pushed inside higher mass parts, which would cause resonation with default, "flexible" joints. So the craft can then suddenly disintegrate itself (reported) or twist into octopus (personally observed). You shouldn't actually need autostrut if you use KJR anyway, as KJR reinforces the smaller mass joints if they are under pressure.

Ok so I disabled autostrut (and rigid attachment in the VAB), but the parts on active vessels still load and either explode or are CLIPPED into each other.  Yikes!

@TeeGee If anything clips inside other part ( by means of force ), then that means that this part joint is too weak to handle the load.
In stock, the part size defines joint power - parts with small joints and high mass are most problematic.

If anything clips and joint is rigid - it will break off. If the joint is flexible - it will flex instead of breaking - so flexible joint is stronger than rigid one, but will create wobbling.

If the autostrut is applied to rigid joint - it will reinforce this joint, but the joint will still break off past certain load.

If autostrut is applied to flexible joint, I observed that this will cast Kraken:
on excessive load, the flexible joint of small part will be shifted outside and part will clip.
As the joint will then try to shift into original position (constantly) - autostrut will oppose this, creating resonating effect. Such craft may slowly start to shake - and then blow parts away.
This is most probable when attaching small parts with powerful engines to large mass parts (fuel tanks), burning them and - time accelerating (to loose physics precision).

This is stock model ^^^
Basically with stock model, avoid attaching parts with small joints, which create physical force - to heavy parts. If this is unavoidable, either disable autostrut, or use rigid+autostrut.

If KJR is installed, then all part joints are reinforced depending on mass of the parts they are connected to.
This will prevent joints from moving/clipping altogether, allowing to integrate smaller joints between heavy big parts - as these will be reinforced.
But there is still potential for flexible joint+autostrut to shake that reinforced joint to pieces, if clipping happens due to same worst case.

That said, its about stock parts. If you are using modded parts, these may have own problems... Eitherway, clipping in VAB/SPH is welcoming the Kraken.
Try to inspect the craft and remove parts one-by-one until only core of the problem is left, basically bissect it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.