How to swap crew members in a full vessel?

Unless the craft is filled with tourists, someone should be able to EVA correct?   ...did you leave the ground with tourists occupying a pilots seat?  ...and put your crew in a cabin with no doors?  I 'think' a little pre-planning solves the problem, am I missing something?

On 17-7-2017 at 3:39 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Like in life - someone has to go out, wait on the ladders. :)

So if you want to switch seats with someone on a moving train, you're going to open the door and hang down the side of the carriage? :wink:

It's plausible enough that there is enough space inside a module to temporarily stow a Kerbal if you want to swap seats. After all, how are they going to get to the door if they're in the farmost seat away from it? If Kerbals can magically pass through anything (including fuel tanks, girders and 0,625m adapters) when you transfer crew, then a Kerbal in the target seat shouldn't be in the way.

My suggestion: If you want to transfer crew to an already-full module or a full seat, the Kerbal in that seat gets kicked out and moved to the first available seat on the craft. If the craft is completely full, their places will get swapped.

Extending this logic will also allow entry or exiting of a craft via a module that is full, when a Kerbal wants to enter, they get moved into the first empty seat that exists. If there is none, "Cannot enter, craft is full" error pops up.

Conversely, if a Kerbal wants to EVA but the hatch on the module they are in is obstructed, the nearest unobstructed EVA hatch can be chosen. Right now, the method to do exactly that is transfer to the module with unobstructed hatch, then exit, which seems counterintuitive.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:23 PM, Stoney3K said:

So if you want to switch seats with someone on a moving train, you're going to open the door and hang down the side of the carriage? :wink:

I noticed the smiley, and I assume that there was some humor in the post. I would still like to reply with a serious note. Perhaps pictures can revealthe difference between a train and a typical spacecraft.

Soyuz with its 3 typical passengers/crew:

CV75-ejWEAEx1Cp.jpg-large-512x341.jpg

Commuter train with 3 typical passengers:

alamy-2.jpg

Agreed - it would be really nice if there was mod to let you, say, go into a menu and drag nametags around to swap crew quarters.   

Yeah, you can do it manually with either EVA or the transfer crew button.  But that can take a really long time if you're moving a lot of kerbals (as I have been lately with my tourism industry).  And it's fairly easy to forget who's supposed to go where when you have to do them one by one.  

On 27.7.2017 at 8:13 AM, Aegolius13 said:

And it's fairly easy to forget who's supposed to go where when you have to do them one by one.  

The golden thread always plays an important role.

Forgetting what was planned by doing some fiddlidity can be bad...

Straight up admission, I haven't thoroughly tested whether Tourists can swap seats. For reasons see spoiler.

Spoiler

Tourism grinds my gears period - I just hate it in any context - so I don't tend to take many tourism contracts. However, somewhere from the bottom of my memory jar I seem to recollect that a Tourist in a seat is welded to that seat from the moment you launch until you recover the vessel... assuming a safe landing somewhere on Kerbin. On reflection, I might have more experience with Tourists in KSP if I had previously considered the remotitude of that likelihood.

So assuming I'm right about that... WHAT THE HECK?! Is the 'fasten seatbelts' light stuck on or something? Why can't I use an ascent vehicle to reach an orbital station, transfer my tourists to the station, wait for a rendezvous with a Hoffman transfer shuttle, transfer them to the shuttle, travel to Mun, rendezvous with my Munstation in orbit again, and descend to the surface after the next ore shipment comes and goes? I kinda get the EVA no-no (most dangerous job in space, amiright?), but seriously, seat-locking is dumb.

I await your criticism.

6 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I await your criticism.

OK, here it comes.

Tourists CAN swap seats. Period!
Launch them on a regular rocket, transfer them to a Mun transfer vehicle. And once in Mun orbit transfer them to a lander. You can do all that just like you can with any other Kerbal. They just can not do EVA's.

P.S.
It is Hohmann. No F's and double N. NOT Hoffman!

Just now, Tex_NL said:

OK, here it comes.

Tourists CAN swap seats. Period!
Launch them on a regular rocket, transfer them to a Mun transfer vehicle. And once in Mun orbit transfer them to a lander. You can do all that just like you can with any other Kerbal. They just can not do EVA's.

P.S.
It is Hohmann. No F's and double N. NOT Hoffman!

*looks at @Tex_NL very skeptically*

I'm sure it used to be Hoffman...

Well, semantics, y'know? Who'd have thought humping something would be called twerking in 2017?

But it's ok, I will accept your correction. My attempts to style it out have clearly failed. I'll go back to my hole.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.